• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Favourite Characters

I'm about 10 hours in to the game at the moment and have had a blast so far, if you are on the fence on buying it I'd definitely would recommend it. I did notice I have far more fun playing like certain characters than others hence the favourite character ranking. I'll provide some detail on why I place characters where I do for the top and bottom characters on the list. Be aware that I have not unlocked all characters at this moment. There might be spoilers (not story spoilers but still).

1. Ganondorf: My favourite character by far, he has a very unique combo system that works excellently. Filling up the combo gauge basically gives you an extra Special Attack. His standard attacks and combos are so immensely powerful and visually pleasing. I've not cut through hordes of enemies as quick as with any other character, even his standard attacks are great. The costumes are sweet as well. Favourite attack is the Ganon claw.

2. Link: Link has really surprised me in this game because he feels so much like Link. When you play him I get the feeling as if you are playing any other Zelda game. Link has some of the quickest animations on his combo attacks which means you won't be slowed down by animations playing out the whole time.

3. Sheik: Pretty damn awesome character. Sheik isn't particular strong but lightning quick, a wide array of very different combos are open towards your use which makes her feel very different than other characters since you can continiiously switch up your attacks and not feel as if you're throwing the same thing at your enemy over and over.

4. Zelda: Mob killing goes very quick (not as quick as Ganondorf but still) and her strong attack system is pretty interesting. She has some of the greatest combo attacks in the game visually speaking, especially the triangle attack, however at times the attacks blast everyone out of range for the follow up attack which then hits air. She does have long animations and is pretty vulnerable at times due to that.

5. Lana: Lana is better than I originally thought. Exploding her magic walls is fun. Most of her attacks are really good, but only in the open planes. Once you are inside a keep or in an indoors level you'll see your combos go into walls more often than not. So she's not good in close quarters. The Spear is a fun little weapon, although I feel it's more of a novelty than a serious alternative.

6. Impa: Bit split on Impa, I only used her once and wasn't blown away. Did manage to give her more badges and such in the meantime which should mean she's a little more diverse by now and maybe she changed. Middle of the pack seems about right though. EDIT: Second weapon unlocked on Impa makes her a lot more fun to play. Traditional Warrior fans will probably find her a lot more agreeable. Not enough for me to change her place on here, but more fun nonetheless.

7. Midna: Midna is okay, her long animations bug me a bit. Her strong attack button is interesting but I don't really notice the difference between normal and with the gauge filled. The switching between floating and wolf riding never feels smooth to me and I find it to hinder progession a bit.

8. Fi: Incredibly slow. Maybe it's just me or the way she moves but it seems to take ages before she breaks into sprint mode and her normal walking pace seems very slow. Attacks are decent but nothing too special.

9. Darunia: Slow, long animations and not particularly powerful, I expected more from an apparently sluggish character in terms of raw power but it's just not there.

Will update as I unlock more characters and log more hours on the game. Let me know what your favourites are.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Loving the use of Link and Impa myself. Though i will say i loathe the use of Midna. She is great for the attacks but it feels like it takes ages, she isn't the strongest that i've played as but still she is a freaking queen of twilight and she has to rely on wolves attacking for her. BOOO!

Haven't gotten ganondorf yet but i hope he is good

Loving the use of Link and Impa myself. Though i will say i loathe the use of Midna. She is great for the attacks but it feels like it takes ages, she isn't the strongest that i've played as but still she is a freaking queen of twilight and she has to rely on wolves attacking for her. BOOO!

Haven't gotten ganondorf yet but i hope he is good

Discovered Impa's second weapon yesterday which does make her more fun to play. A little more vintage Warriors style. Agreed about Midna, slow animations, doesn't feel particularly powerful either.

You'll love Ganondorf, he is a beast.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Finished with Legend Mode now i am running round claiming heart pieces and skulltulas will be aiming for adventure mode to get the final four guys.

Gotta say Ganondorf if freaking brilliant as a fighter, every strike kills my foes ^^, though Link with Master Sword is quicker Ganondorf just has the RAAAAAAAAWR power to kill everything. Welp Adventure mode HERE I COME.

Well after playing a little longer, unlocking more weapons and characters time for an update:

1. Link: Just such a diverse character to play with. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Gauntlets as a weapon, but the Fire Rod and Sword are also still favourites.

2. Sheik: Her combo system is great, her attacks quick and best of all she dodges like no other character does. Continuously dodging works great against pesky characters like Volga or Wizro. You'll never be hit. Her Y attacks are fun and fresh as well.

3. Impa: Big move from the last time, I played her a lot and she's a machine. The Naginata is a nice extra weapon, which helps diversify her play style. The first weapon is just as awesome though. Her attack speed is high enough to not feel slowed down.

4. Ganondorf: Fell a bit, but still a beast. He's strong and can decimate foes but his (powerful) combos take very long to execute which is annoying. Also I'm hitting the BBBY attack a lot which is quite ineffectual most of the time, which annoys me.

5. Zelda: I unlocked her second weapon but not tried my hand at it yet. Her first weapon is pretty amazing though. Letdown is the large window in which she's open for attacks. But who can argue with the triforce attack?

6. Darunia: He grew on me. He does not have the slowest attacks of the bunch and his combo animations are pretty quick (although his regular attacks are a bit slow).

7. Lana: Still good, Spear is a horrible weapon. Like I said before feels like a novelty. The combos feel like they have a wacky aim, i don't feel in control of them. Book is still good though, although the issues with combos inside a building or against walls remain.

7. Ghirahim: Haven't played a lot as him so not much to say, his combos look interesting although they are heavy on the animation side which makes it feel like they arent landing as well as they should.

8. Midna: Midna is okay, her long animations bug me a bit. Her strong attack button is interesting but I don't really notice the difference between normal and with the gauge filled. The switching between floating and wolf riding never feels smooth to me and I find it to hinder progession a bit. (Haven't played as Midna anymore so no difference)

9. Ruto: I thought I'd really like Ruto from the gameplay vids I saw before the release. There is a lot to like, great Strong Attack, good combos. However every step of the way she just annoys me; slow moving speed and slow normal attack speed as well as a very short range with her normal attacks. She's constantly open for attack, and has horrible dodging ability.

10. Fi: Incredibly slow. Maybe it's just me or the way she moves but it seems to take ages before she breaks into sprint mode and her normal walking pace seems very slow. Attacks are decent but nothing too special.

That's the updated list, with new thoughts added. Couple more characters and weapons to go!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Gotta say i didn't think i'd like the Magic rod but my god does it wreck your foes. I particularly love the combo that leads to you being a flamethrower and just burning the foes down. Not sure on my stance with the gauntlets gotta get the LV3 version yet and i wanna get a good leveled set for that. Ugh argorok is evil

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1 Ganondorf- When I got to play as Ganondorf for the first time I was wowed by how powerful the character was. You really get the sense you are playing as an unstoppable force when using him. His normal attacks are super powerful and his combo attacks can be devastating. I like the dark meter that slowly charges up as you kill enemies which when full allows you to do a meteor smash move which feels basically like setting off a small nuke. Love Ganondorf in this game, his new design is fantastic and I also like the new voice actor for him: Taiten Kusunoki. I hope he does Ganondorf again in the future. Unfortunately they recycled TP Ganondorf's voice clips for smash4, but hope the new VA is in Zelda U or whenever Ganondorf next comes back.

2 Impa-I just found impa easy to use, she has a nice range and has powerful moves. She wields the giants knife which is in OOT, it seems to have had a radical redesign for this game. As i've said in another thread recently i would like to see link be able to wield different kinds of weapons, so if biggorons sword or the giants knife turns up for link to use in the future I will be pleased.

3 Link- Nothing beats the familiarity of playing as link, I've been having fun doing it for years and playing as him in HW is probably even more fun, at least combat wise. His usual spin attack is a bit more powerful this time around with a wider range. I would quite like to see Zelda U learn from the combat of HW,I wouldn't mind a bit more chaotic action with hordes of enemies in future Zelda games. Ss did it just before the final boss fights and it was one of the most fun parts of the game, so I want to see more.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I like the dark meter that slowly charges up as you kill enemies which when full allows you to do a meteor smash move which feels basically like setting off a small nuke.
Funny thing about that meter, you can just hold a combo until it's filled. You can even do it safely when there are no enemies around.

My favorites:

1. Lana: I knew I'd love her as soon as I saw her. While most mages are content to stand back and let their magic do all the work, Lana is much more athletic. I love how she interacts with the barriers in different ways.

With the Book of Sorcery she's one of the most agile characters. Zero-delay dodges are a must for me - it means 100% invincibility while I'm spamming dodge. I can just swim right through a ReDead scream until its weak point gauge appears. Most of the other characters have a brief 'cooldown' on dodging during which time they're vulnerable. She can also dodge to cancel out of many of her attack animations, making her combos even faster and more deadly (weak-weak-weak-strong-strong-strong-dodge-strong is my favorite - push the walls back and then kick them too). I often use her kick (strong attack) purely for mobility, when a dodge wouldn't take me far enough. She's really quite overpowered - high mobility, high crowd control, high power.

The Spear slows her down quite a bit. No more zero-delay dodge, lots of vulnerabilities between combos, no kick for quick repositioning. Her attacks also seem a lot less powerful. I still enjoy using it though.

The Summoning Gate though... I only just unlocked it and used it a couple times. First impressions are that it's slow but VERY powerful. Also the animations look so much smoother and more interesting than her other weapons. She actually dances! Honestly I don't care how good this weapon is, it's just great to look at.

2. Fi: She's toward the bottom of everyone else's list, but she strikes just the right chord for me. Like Lana, she's very mobile. She dances around the battlefield while attacking. She does very little damage but it builds up through her elaborately drawn out combos. That's not necessarily a good thing if time is a concern, but I find it generally enjoyable. She's vulnerable during some of her combos, but not during others, so you just need to know which ones are safe given the positions of nearby enemies. And yes, I also noticed that she takes longer than normal to sprint.

Others I enjoy using include Impa, Link, and Ghirahim.

Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf are tolerable.

Darunia is extremely uninteresting (like a less mobile, less varied, less powerful Ganondorf), and I haven't played Zant yet (though I unlocked him the other day).

Ruto, Midna, and Agitha are unbearable.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Funny thing about that meter, you can just hold a combo until it's filled. You can even do it safely when there are no enemies around.

Oh really, I didn't know that. I'll have to try it. I still haven't found out how to do his dual magic ball slam that is shown in his reveal trailer. Do you know how to perform that?

I've got to say for my favorite character in Hyrule Warriors, that reward goes to Ganondorf. He pretty much the equivalent to Lu Bu in that most of his attacks are powerful and can fell enemies effortlessly. I especially love his 5th strong attack, that just makes the KO count sky rocket, it's like a special attack within a combo.

Link is my second favourite. He is OP as hell. (figures seeing he is the Hero and all) His standard strong attack will rack up KOs and send enemies flying. On top of that it feels like he is the only one that can do the most considerate damage to Boss characters, even surpassing Ganondorf in that respect.

Third goes to Impa, she is actually quite a cool character. I prefer using the giant sword to the Naginata as her 5th moves is really powerful as well as being cool at the same time. She has a really good dodge rate as well, which makes it easy to maneuver around enemies with their guard up.

The forth character that deserves a mention is Ghirahim. He just has an interesting moveset which comes to life with his flamboyant nature. I particularly like part of his third combo, though the last part does leave him vulnerable when he does his thing in his good old self. I like his weak point attack as well... that laugh... so amusing!

The rest of the characters are alright but just don't work for me. Having said that I do enjoy playing as Sheik, Ruto and Midna once in a while.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Oh really, I didn't know that. I'll have to try it. I still haven't found out how to do his dual magic ball slam that is shown in his reveal trailer. Do you know how to perform that?
At the very end? That's his Focus Spirit smash (if you let the bar drain and don't press the Special button early). Speaking of which, I just noticed today that if you do press it early it forces the enemy's weakpoint gauge. It even works on giant bosses. I haven't tried it on Ganon though.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I haven't tried it on Ganon, but yeah, it's been useful for bosses that I need to kill quickly for the hard skulltula.

Well after playing a little longer, unlocking more weapons and characters time for an update:
9. Ruto: I thought I'd really like Ruto from the gameplay vids I saw before the release. There is a lot to like, great Strong Attack, good combos. However every step of the way she just annoys me; slow moving speed and slow normal attack speed as well as a very short range with her normal attacks. She's constantly open for attack, and has horrible dodging ability.

I think Impa has become my favorite character. She's great all-round, but especially shines against Big Bosses, things like Dodongo and The Imprisoned. Use her Naginata's strong attack to lay down a wall of flame right before the boss falls over and its Weak Point gauge comes up, and it will provide its continuous damage effect while you can still combo attack it. You'll melt right through that gauge in an instant. It helps even more if you've managed to unlock the Strong Attack+ ability. I did this today with the Adventure Mode fight where you have to kill two Imprisoned at once (while Girahim is just harassing you). I had time to kill him and both Imprisoned with several minutes to spare, and this was after letting the two Bosses team up. And Impa was only about Level 26 at the time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom