• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favourite Characters from a Novel/Story

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
What the title says.

For me it got to be:
Marlow from Conrad's Heart of Darkness
Devin from Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana
Jon Snow and Arya Stark from G.R.R.M.'s A Song of Ice and Fire series

Cfrock

Keep it strong
One of my favourite characters is Commander Sam Vimes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. I first encountered him in the amazing Night Watch and since then I've only come to love him more. He's just one of those guys who's really really good at what he does, but he's not arrogant about it. He knows a lot of his power comes from his team and he's not infallible. He reminds me so much of my GCSE History teacher. He used to be in the Metropolitan Police Force in the 80s, during the riots, and whenever I read about Sam Vimes I can't help but picture that teacher, a man I deeply respect and admire.

Winston Smith from 1984
Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451
Hamlet from Hamlet (technically a play but could fall under story)
Randle Patrick McMurply from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

All of these characters have strong moral principles, initially fail but narrowly succeed, and convey a hope for a better future.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
HAL, the amoral computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Runner up goes to Tyrion Lannister in the Game of Thrones series.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
For this, I'd have to say the Baudelaire orphans from A Series of Unfortunate Events. I always like to pick up any one of the books every once in a while. They're going through so much in their lives in the books, but they seem to always find a way out of seemingly impossible and equally horrible tasks. They are all very clever and unique, which I always try to be.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The Unicorn from The Last Unicorn - A mystic creature that has a hard time relating to human feelings until she spends time as a mortal and learns the beauty and pain of love and regret.

I like a lot of Lord of the Rings characters, but my favorite might be Samwise Gamgee. He's simple and loyal.

I have a fondness for Eustace of The Chronicles of Narnia books - he's introduced in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. He starts out as an obnoxious little brat but has a lot of growth - nevermind it being an allegory for religious conversion (at least I think that's what it was) - just taken on the idea of "growth" and "gaining imagination and courage" his characterization is a pretty cool one. Also, he got to spend some time as a dragon and dragons are awesome.

I like Yoko, Rakashun and Taiki from The Tweleve Kingdoms books. Yes, they're also an anime, but the books actually came first and are rather rare to get ahold of these days in the U.S. since their translator (Tokyopop) went under. Yoko presents the idea of a person from our world being sucked into a fantasy world *with some actual realism* - that is, she doesn't become a Mary Sue demonslayer, she actually *freaks out* and has to deal with a persecution and danger and navigating an unknown world. Rakashun is a kindhearted intellectual half-rat who is just a sweetheart and Taiki is likewise from our world, but finds out that he's a mystical creature belonging to the other one and is a sweet, innocent little boy who has a lot of trouble figuring things out and has to work hard to find his courage.

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
I LOVED Minho from The Maze Runner Trilogy. He was such a take charge guy, and no matter how he talked, Thomas was one of his best friends.

I also LOVED LOVED LOVED Newt from the same series! He started to use "bloody" and "buggin' in almost every sentence, and I found it funny. Plus it was awesome how much he truly cared for Thomas. Sad ending for this guy, though, I was really bummed. :/

Oh and I love Brenda (yes, also from the same series), she treated Thomas differently and...all together she was just different. I ship those two so much! ;)

That tis all.

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
My favorite character from a story would definetly be the Lepidoctor from Ten Sorry Tales. . I couldn't actually remember his name so Lepidoctor is fine for him, since he liked butterflies and he wanted to revive dead butterflies in a dead butterfly emporium in a mueseum. The Lepidoctor is somewhat very obsessive to butterflies and as soon as he revived all of the butterflies(around a 1000), he saw lots of colorful butterflies, fluttering around.

It sounds terribly lame, but I really liked Peeta in Hunger Games. He's just so cute. :3 I can't think of my other favorite characters though. I like a lot of them.

What sticks out in my mind are the characters I hate. XD

Valas Hune from the Forgotten Realms series (mainly the "War of the Spider Queen"). I feel like he's a very under-appreciated character and probably the most balanced and sympathetic one in the books he's been in. WotSQ isn't that popular, though, so I don't expect too many people, if any, to know what on earth I'm even talking about. :P

Also, Raistlin Majere (Dragonlance), because we are freakishly similar in a lot of ways. There were times when I would be thinking something and then, while reading, realize that he had just said or thought exactly what had been going through my mind. Only character to ever really do that, except maybe Valas a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom