• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Word?

So, what are your favorite words? And if possible, tell us what you were doing when you first discovered said word!

My favorite word has recently changed. It used to be blasphemy, but now it's serendipitous. I saw it while I was reading a book I just recently finished up. The book was explaining how Christiaan Huygens's discovery of Saturn's moon Titan was a serendipitous discovery. As soon as I saw it I was immediately bewildered. I had never seen or heard this word before so I looked up the definition online and apparently it descibes something that was fortunate or lucky.

Anywho, that is my favorite word now. What are yours?

Last edited:
The idea behind this thread is stupendous. In my middle school days I remember being fascinated with the word "bamboozle". It had a very pleasant ring to it. Nowadays, my word of preference is "dichotomy". Bust out that noun and you have people astounded. Its definition-"division into two parts"-is fairly simple but whoever uses the word sounds very educated and intelligent. This word became my favorite yesterday after reading a third post by Kitsu in which he utilized it. That finally confirmed its syntactical prowess to me. I hope to further expand my vocabulary in the future and discover terminology which suits my fancy.

Dan

I enjoy using the word. Abomination it can be used to exaggerate anything.
You are an ABOMINATION to society.

well according to my husband, my favorite word is "whatever" lol I tend to use it a bit. But I think my favorite word is redonkulous (not sure on the spelling haha) heard it from donkey off of shrek :)

domo

I think my head stopped hurting finally
antipseudocontraneoantidisestablishmentarianalistically. I did NOT search up the longest word in the English language.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
My three favorite words are lugubrious, pulchritudinous, and brobdingnagian.

I don't recall how I found lugubrious – it's just an example of many words I randomly found on the Internet when looking for big words that mean simple things. I absolutely love words like that. Lugubrious can essentially mean "sad".

I first read pulchritudinous in a Legend of Zelda fanfiction, actually. "Why You Should Never Travel with Foreigners" by LittleBlueNayru. XD Pulchritude means "beauty". And Brobdingnagian comes from a wonderful person who was suggesting something for my Wizard101 fanfiction, where I'd overused the word "large" in one chapter, and they suggested that. I couldn't believe it was a real word at first, haha.

Last edited:
My favorite... word? Most-definitely the one that only I can use freely, while everyone else who says it gets thwacked. Nerm. Nerm, nerm, nermy, nerm. Nermiste! You guys are so jealous of the genius behind that word. Though it's only one syllable, it is so fun to say. And it's easy to say--even when your mouth is full. Not sure why you'd be talking with your mouth full, though, because that's impolite. :rolleyes:

nerm-def.PNG

Thanks to Djinn for that first definition, by the way~ =P

nom + erm = nerm. <3

Nicole

luke is my wife
Swag. My favorite word is swag. And I don't even care because yolo.

No but seriously, it is. I'm sure I sound like a tool whenever I say it, but I don't really care lol. I'm one of those sporty people that struts their swag every time they make a play. Every time I do something good, it's the first word out of my mouth. Manage to open a new pickle jar with my bare hands? Swag. Draw a straight line? Swag. Complete a complicated math problem? MAJOR SWAG. I describe things with the term "swaggy." My rainbow sliding shorts for softball are swaggy. My moves are swaggy.

This post is swaggy.

Kybyrian

Defenestration. It was a spell bowl word of mine in like 6th grade and it was our favorite so yeah. Also it almost looks like the word Fenster, which is German for window. =D

Garo

Boy Wonder
I really like dichotomy, especially derivatives thereof; dichotomous! I'm not sure I would call it my FAVORITE, though, because I also love diametrically, dialectic, abject, and cinematographically (that last one mostly because of the rhythm necessary to say it properly). It's hard to choose a favorite word.

ZeldaFan11

#TeamPhelps
Mine is 'uber' and 'swag'.

I personally like to use them in the same sentence. "Im a uber sexy girl who has more swag than you." ~ True Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom