• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Standalone Movies/Cinematic Franchises

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Everyone has their favorite cinematic delights, whether it comes in the form of space operas, thrillers, romcoms, indie releases, sword/sandal epics, horrors, or dystopias. What makes these special differs from person to person, depending on the character interaction between the world around them or the journey itself that the plot moves on to, among other things. For most people, I think this gets narrowed down to personal entertainment over receiving a message, but movies are much more than an escape and can indeed reflect the world around us when done right.

Here lately, I've been consuming a range of genres for the express intent of building up my library, and felt led to see what other people enjoyed. More recently, I've watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly which were suggested as classics, and I'm keeping an eye out for more films from the "golden age" of cinematic history. But overall, these movies have stuck out to me for different reasons:

The Lion King (Animated) - The king of all animated movies up until now and till the end of time, Lion King boasts not only coolest father figure in all of Disney, but also the most badass villain as well. After rewatching it in light of the lesser-tier live action remake, I'd say that the story and characters have aged well, even though some bits of it are a bit derivative nowadays. If you just can't wait to be king, then be prepared for what the circle of life should bring, lest you can't feel the love tonight. #hakunamatata

The Book of Eli - Denzel Washington portrays a vagrant in a post-apocalyptic setting, living off the land and scrounging up what few rations he can. His sole purpose is to deliver a book someplace out west, but several setbacks place a roadblock on his journey. Very much a man-versus-world tale backed by a Mad Max-esque aesthetic, Eli portrays the grimness of a depraved world without being heavyhanded, but the payoff comes with the twist near the end.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (+Hobbit shenanigans) - The entire 18-hour experience of the series is about building up the characters and watching them grow as individuals while being constantly pursued by a sleepless shadow. While Bilbo's journey takes him to the Lonely Mountain to slay a dragon, Frodo's fellowship is much more personal, having experienced loss and dread as opposed to the peaceful security of the Shire. Opposite of Eli, you could say that The Ring pits man against man as human greed and pride causes much of the grief and forestalls the respective groups from making journey's end on their epic quests for closure.

What are some of your favorites?

I'll save your thread, Emiya.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Labyrinth, The Fountain, Requiem For a Dream, The Blood of a Poet, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, The Dollars Trilogy, The Matrix, Ju-dou, Curse of the Golden Flower, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Eye, Dark Water, Underworld series (guilty pleasure), Ju-On/Grudge, Kairo/Pulse, Battle Royale.

These are all of the movies I really love that come to mind straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom