• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Quotes

I will start off by saying that this is not a games topic, and for the love of God, don't spam it or I WILL USE THE REPORT BUTTON SO HARD ON YOUR ***! Thank you.

This topic was also desperately needed because Inflexus was mad:

WHY THE **** DO PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH ****ING SPAMMING UP MAI MATURE DISCUSSIONSZ!!!111?!?!?!?!

I'll start off with one of my favorites that I read today by Neil deGrasse Tyson, in a book about how we were removed from being important in the Universe. First by not being the center of the solar System, then not the center of the Galaxy, and finally not the center of the Universe.

What are the lessons to be learned from this journey of the mind? That humans are emotionally fragile, perennially gullible, hopelessly ignorant masters of an insignificantly small speck in the cosmos.

Have a nice day.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
You don't give me justice, Jooshbag.

I like this proverb adopted by Teddy Roosevelt:

"Walk softly and carry a big stick."

K

Karashimu

"My whole career can be summed up with 'Ignorance is bliss.' When you do not know better, you do not really worry about failing."

Jeff Foxworthy

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" - Steven Wright.

serotonin_wraith

The Most Banned Member
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." Joss Whedon.

"By far the most important variable determining your religion is the accident of birth." Richard Dawkins.

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

"(Religion) With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion" Steven Weinberg.

"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." Richard Jeni.

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Delos B. McKown.

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain.

"If God is indeed omnipotent, why could He have not produced the glorious result without such a long and tedious prologue?" Bertrand Russell.

"Religion... has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. ...what it means is 'Here is an idea or a notion that you're not allowed to say anything bad about; you're just not. Why not? - because you're not!' If somebody votes for a party that you don't agree with, you're free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it, but on the other hand if somebody says 'I mustn't move a light switch on a Saturday', you say, 'Fine, I respect that'.

In the case of an idea, if we think 'Here is an idea that is protected by holiness or sanctity', what does it mean? Why should it be that it's perfectly legitimate to support the Labour party or the Conservative party, Republicans or Democrats, this model of economics versus that, Macintosh instead of Windows, but to have an opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe, no, that's holy? ...Everybody gets absolutely frantic about it because you're not allowed to say these things. Yet when you look at it rationally there is no reason why those ideas shouldn't be as open to debate as any other, except that we have agreed somehow between us that they shouldn't be." Douglas Adams.

silent lion

ReDead
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" - Steven Wright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttered_cat_paradox

Live and learn Anon

A grain of sand in the eye can hide a mountain. Ninja proverb

If a tree falls in the forest with no one to hear, it doesn't make a sound. But it falls nonetheless. Lao Tzu, Tao te Ching

When one is frightened, tighten the belly and charge! Samurai proverb

Be untrusting and people become untrustworthy. Lao Tzu, Tao te Ching

Being back to square one just means you get a second chance. Me.

Lol, that ones pretty funny.

"The pen is mightier than the sword". Don't know exactly who first said that, but it's one of my favorite quotes.
EDIT: Actually, just checked on wikipedia. That quote was by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. Never knew that.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
"The Ephesians would do well to hang themselves, every grown man of them, and leave the city to beardless lads; for they have cast out Hermodorus, the best among them, saying: -We will have none who is best among us; if there be any such, let him be elsewhere and among others." Heraclitus

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." Joss Whedon.

"By far the most important variable determining your religion is the accident of birth." Richard Dawkins.

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

"(Religion) With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion" Steven Weinberg.

"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." Richard Jeni.

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Delos B. McKown.

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain.

"If God is indeed omnipotent, why could He have not produced the glorious result without such a long and tedious prologue?" Bertrand Russell.

"Religion... has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. ...what it means is 'Here is an idea or a notion that you're not allowed to say anything bad about; you're just not. Why not? - because you're not!' If somebody votes for a party that you don't agree with, you're free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it, but on the other hand if somebody says 'I mustn't move a light switch on a Saturday', you say, 'Fine, I respect that'.

In the case of an idea, if we think 'Here is an idea that is protected by holiness or sanctity', what does it mean? Why should it be that it's perfectly legitimate to support the Labour party or the Conservative party, Republicans or Democrats, this model of economics versus that, Macintosh instead of Windows, but to have an opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe, no, that's holy? ...Everybody gets absolutely frantic about it because you're not allowed to say these things. Yet when you look at it rationally there is no reason why those ideas shouldn't be as open to debate as any other, except that we have agreed somehow between us that they shouldn't be." Douglas Adams.

I sense some pent up dissent for a particular subject.

You must have a problem with pie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom