• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite non-Piece of Heart collectible in the series?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Every, or almost every, Zelda game has one major collectible outside of Pieces of Heart.

I can't name every single one from the top of my head, but here's what comes to mind:

Gold Skulltulas (Ocarina)
Masks (Majora's Mask)
Treasure Charts (TWW)
Secret Seashells (LA)
Rings (Oos/Ooa)
Poe Souls (TP)
Korok Seeds (BotW)
Gratitude Crystals (SS)

Which one do you most enjoy collecting and which reward satisfied you the most?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wouldn't say the Masks are collectables in the way the others are. Majora's Mask's collectables in the traditional sense are probably the stray fairies.

The masks on the other hand are actual items which have their own unique uses and properties. Each has its own way of being obtained which feels a part of the world and requires you to interact with the world's inhabitants. Obtaining a mask feels worthwhile because it is a reward in itself rather than just a token which may lead to a bigger reward when enough are collected. I also like that masks aren't just randomly hidden for you to find like skulltulas and seeds.

I generally find collectables in the traditional sense to be tedious to all track down so I just tend to pick up the ones I find on my journey rather than actively seeking them out.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I wouldn't say the Masks are collectables in the way the others are. Majora's Mask's collectables in the traditional sense are probably the stray fairies.

I agree, they're maybe more like standard items. That'd put them in the same category as collecting the bonus items in LoZ or ALTTP

I'll go with mine: Actually it's gratitude crystals! I liked how they are all tied to specific quest lines, and I liked Batreaux a lot, and the whole intersecting plot with missing Kukiel.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think Link between worlds was a mediocre Zelda game in general, but the maimais are a big redeeming factor. Unlike most other collectibles you actually get something good for every stage instead of just some random worthless item, or in the original LAs case another of the same collectible. I love upgrading items like that (why does nobody ever talk about that in SS?) so gettin an item upgrade every 10 maimais was a great reward. While my favorite are the stray fairies, other people have already talked about them on this thread so I decided I’d go with my second favorite.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The masks. Not only is each one useful in its own right, but you actually have to work to get them, usually by completing a portion of a task in the Bombers Notebook. Many masks can then be used to complete other tasks. There's this whole vast complex web of interactions between masks and Bombers tasks and collecting them really makes ya feel like you're bringing Termina together. Of course collecting all of them gets you the all powerful Fierce Deity's mask ftw.

I always liked the Kinestones. They feel like this nifty open world collectathon such that obtaining one type of kintstone isn't the end of it. You can keep matching kinestones you find with characters over and over again. It's just a shame that the rewards weren't always useful.

I've also always had a fondness for OoT's Gold Skultullas. The tokens themselves are virtually useless but I do like how dynamic the conditions under which the gold skultullas appear is. The general principle is that they don't like sunlight. So they hide in grottoes and dungeons or trees or only come out at night. It isn't just: hear scratching > slay > acquire token. You actually have to understand the circumstances under which they can be found.

The rings in the Oracle games are also nifty because they actually have a utilitarian purpose by making Link more powerful or adding useful new modifiers to his abilities. I like how they add some rpg going on in Zelda that hadn't really been in the series since Zelda II.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I also go with the masks in MM. Not only were they useful but they also got their own different stories. Almost every mask had some kind of story behind it. And I also liked the reactions other characters gave when you wore certain masks.

D

Deleted member 83535

Well, for me it's the stuff like Gold Skulltulas, Secret Seashells and Maiamais, I quite like to find secret stuff along the world.
The poes were frustrating because they kept spawning and you had no way of knowing which you had already collected.
Gratitude crystals were okay because they were linked to helping people, but mostly mehish.
Masks are cool because you have effects linked to them, rings also have effects but since most of them are lucked based and some even demand multiple playthroughs, they are actually the absolute worse in my opinion.
Treasure Charts were boring and Korok Seeds were just insane, mostly impossible without a guide, and that's no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom