• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Nintendo 64 Platformer

MW7

so are mario 64,banjo kazooie,& dk 64 all you guys can mention?
aren't there more?

Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and DK 64 are definitely the heavyweights. There is one other game that gets tremendous amounts of praise that could technically be called a platformer- Conker's Bad Fur Day. One more platformer that at least sold somewhat well was Yoshi's Story, but that was pretty much seen as an inferior successor to SMW2: Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's Island was a great game, but a Yoshi's Story was a little worse and came at a bad time (a sidescrolling N64 game). Popularity of 2d games was definitely at its low point when 3d games first started coming out so that really limited the game's potential popularity. Another notable platformer was Bomberman Hero which added some platform elements to the bomberman series. Finally one game that I really love that's more obscure is Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon. It was basically like the game designers (Konami) wanted to release a Zelda style game before Nintendo did, and ended up borrowing a lot of ideas from Super Mario 64 as well. The result is a game with lots of platforming, magic, dungeons, overworld exploration, and blatant rip-offs of Zelda items. So in other words I loved it.

But I agree with Sroa Link that the ones that keep getting mentioned are definitely among the best. The only one I'm surprised I haven't heard yet is Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Salem

SICK
b/c i don't have or play n64,and i came here looking for other mentioning of good n64 platformers besides these 3 which are mainstream as hell
  1. Nothing wrong with mainstream as far as I know
  2. There are other places to look for game sto play on N64, try gamefaqs or moby game or something, they have a lot stuff about old games

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
  1. Nothing wrong with mainstream as far as I know
  2. There are other places to look for game sto play on N64, try gamefaqs or moby game or something, they have a lot stuff about old games
never said there was anything wrong w/ mainstream,just a little tired of seeing the same titles over & over when i know there's a little more in the library worth mentioning
and alright

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I think the obvious answer to this would be Super Mario 64, but my personal favorite is the other heavyweight, Banjo Kazooie. The controls are tight, the level design is amazing, the thought and creativity in the game is outstanding. Banjo has a charm that is unique to itself and that's why I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom