• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Nintendo 64 Platformer

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I've noticed that a lot of the most popular Nintendo 64 games are platformers. This makes sense since the platforming genre of video games was popular back then. Some would think that the drastic changes that have been made with the 3D platformers would scare people off though. The games became more complex. You couldn't just run right and jump now.

Out of all the ones I remember, I've only played Super Mario 64, Glover, Banjo Kazooie, and Donkey Kong 64. I don't really have an opinion on Banjo Kazooie, and Donkey Kong 64 because I've only played them recently. I did play Super Mario 64, and Glover when I was younger though. I don't remember much of Glover, but it was ok. The controls were a bit awkward to me, but it was fun. I guess if I had to chose, then Super Mario 64 would be my favorite. I just remember that one the most.

So what about you guys? What is your favorite Nintendo 64 platformer?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I love Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 pretty much the same. They each bring something different and I wouldn't want to be without either of them.

Salem

SICK
When I was younger, I used to think that the Banjo games were the best, I also liked Donkey Kong 64, because I "thought" it was more "advanced" than either Banjo and Super Mario 64, therefore it must be the best.:rolleyes: I was a stupid Kid.

Today, when I replayed all of them, I came to the conclusion that Super Mario 64 is the best, Donkey Kong 64 is the worst.

First of, Mario is very easy to control, and lear and remember the game, the only new abilities that Mario gets is the caps, there's more freedom on what to do, I dunno, Mario feels better to control, the only thing annoying about it is the camera controls, it sometimes messes me up. :(

Donkey Kong 64, look, I'm not trying to offend anyone who likes the game, this is what I think of it after my last play though of it. It's tedious, it's one of the most annoying games to go through for me(besides some of the Zelda ones:xd:). Too many collectibles, five different characters to get all collectibles, the said collectibles are colour coded for each characters, Just TRY to get 100% everything in the game, have fun slowly going insane. :rolleyes: I tried to do that recently, I just got to the Creepy Castle stage, it is the second to last stage I believe, I almost get it, bet then SOMEONE ERASED ALL FILES........ndkfnjdnbfkjdnvkdncjkdcndjsf..... but that's besides the point,

Banjo Kazooie is easy for me to replay again and again and again, I memories it 100%, I can do it any day if the week, I love this game, it's not as complex as Donkey Kong, but not as simple as Mario, so it's balanced.

Banjo Tooie takes me more time to get through than Kazooie for some reason, but I liked it, I'm not sure which one I liked better though.

Last edited:
Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. That franchise was very unique, and there was a ton of stuff to collect and do, especially in the second one. Plus the boss fights and the way the characters spoke was pretty amusing. I also enjoyed flying with Kazooie, something that you rarely do in other games.

I also LOVE Donkey Kong 64; it was my personal favorite in the entire series. I'm just hoping that they'll some they go back to making an open world action adventure like that for DK again soon. Man, do I miss Rare working for Nintendo. Most of my favorite Nintendo games are by them :(

And of course, I got to choose Mario 64. A favorite platformer gaming list is not complete without that game.

As for Glover... Meh, didn't enjoy that game too much.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's gotta be Mario 64. Banjo Kazooie is in a close second place but can't beat Mario 64, it really was, and still is, an awesome game. :D

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The only true N64 platformer I played was Super Mario 64. I guess this is kind of biased since either haven't experienced the other great platformers, nevertheless, this would have probably topped that list anyway.

This game is at the top end of platformers in my opinion and is has everything which make this genre great not to mention that it's a Mario game. For one you have a great central hub -- which may not seem that important but I think it actually matters quite a bit. Having that homey-feel and an area in which you can take a step back from the other packed worlds is a nice thing to have - this central hub is one of my favourites in all gaming.

Then you have the wide variety of worlds, which bring in the genre of actual platforming. These worlds weren't flawless by any means hut I think they had that open feel which made the game have theat sense of freedom which was nice in a platformer and something I genuinely missed in Galaxy.

Overall a great game with a variety of stages/worlds and an actual decent challenge, the controls weren't the best but it was, and still a remains, one of the best platformers I've played.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Super Mario 64 is hands down the best platformer available for the N64.

MW7

I'm torn between Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. It's a totally different perspective for me on the two games because I first played Super Mario 64 about 15 years ago and Banjo Kazooie only 3 years ago. I definitely have gotten more enjoyment out of Super Mario 64 in my life, but if I had to play one of the games today it would Banjo Kazooie because I haven't played it to death. I like how both games are fairly open and let you experiment with different ideas. DK 64 and Banjo Tooie were a little too structured compared to my ideal. They were more difficult, but I didn't like how certain in-game tasks were overly complicated and required multiple backtracking trips just to accomplish one or two things. Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie were a little more accessible, easier to pick up and play for a short time, and better for speedrunning. So right now I'd go with Banjo Kazooie.

Big Octo

=^)
Hands down, Banjo Kazooie. This game took the formula of Super Mario 64 and refined it to the point of near-perfection. It also added many other things into the mix, making it a unique and truly fun platformer. The level design, I feel, is vastly superior to that of Super Mario 64. Also, it might be just me, but I think it controls better. The graphics are (a bit obviously) much better than those of SM64. Models look less blocky and the textures are more detailed. And, of course, who can forget the music? One of the most memorable soundtracks of any video game.

Now, Super Mario 64 is not a bad game, not by a long shot, but Banjo Kazooie is still the better game. Its sequel, Banjo Tooie, was also quite good, though it doesn't completely amount to the original, at least in my opinion.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Super Mario 64 - not only is it my favorite Mario game, it's one of my favorite platformers as well - right behind DKC 1&2. I really liked the sense of exploration found in it. I never really played any of the other 64 platformers, and so my opinion's a bit skewed. But SM64 just had something about it, something that drew me in that the other games just didn't. Sorry for being vague, but I can't really put my finger on it.

Admittedly, I've only played Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie so far, and I'm going with Banjo-Kazooie. Way, way more creative both in gameplay and level design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom