• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Mario game

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Which is the Best Super Mario Game Ever Made?

Reason I ask is that I want to buy some Super Mario games. I´m thinking of Super Mario World for SNES, a game I´ve never tried and is supposed to be one of the best. Which are the best games in your opinion? If you want please rank them :)

I´ve played Super Mario Bros 1, 2 & 3 for the NES. Sunshine for the gamecube and Galaxy for Wii. I believe I prefer Super Mario Bros 1 if I have to choose from those 5 games.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
In my opinion I would buy Super Mario All Stars for the SNES.
It contains Super Mario 1+2+3+Lost Levels+Super Mario World.
If you can't find that, then buy Super Mario Wolrd.
If you have some spare money to buy, I suggest you'd get Super Mario 64(the n64 version) and Galaxy as well

Zeanith

The Shadow Knight
The original kicks ***. It's timeless.

Then Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are grand too, but you have to play them in order! It is a must!

Yoshi's Island, although not technically Mario, is still a fantastic game. It holds a lot of childhood memories for me. ^^

I'm going to say Super Mario RPG.
It mixed the platform elements of Mario with RPG elements,and together they made a really fun game.
Plus it has a good story(for a mario game that is).

DCMN

Hero of Internet
If you can get hold of Super Mario World, I recommend you do it fast. The best of the original 2D platformers.
New Super Mario Bros. is really good too, and the multiplayer (Assuming you another player to play with) is very addictive.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I'd say Super Mario 3. It was just fantastic. World is a close second, but I only really put it in second place because it was a ramped-up version of Mario 3. Mario 64 might be next because it really made a great shift into the 3-D realm.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Once I finished it, I never played it again.

Huh, that's really interesting, because along with Super Mario 3, it's the only Mario game that I enjoy playing over and over. I must have beat it more than 15 times or so since it's release. I really don't know what the draw was, since I don't tend to play games over again once complete (with the rare 2 or 3 times for Zelda games that is...)

Amelie

Air Dancer
As much as I love Super Mario Bros 3. i will have to go with Super Mario World. I just got lots more fun out of it. With all the secrets and very neat places you can go to. Like Forest of Illusion and Chocolate Island. Even after I battled Bowser. Im still trying to find all the hidden fortresses and secret place after all these years ^^

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Super Mario World.
You didn't think Mario could get better after SMB3, and guess what it did!

Split routes, a beautiful landscape, secret area, replay, new items and abilities, god I could go on forever. Oh, and guess what YOSHI!

Galaxy has been my favorite Mario game by far. Don't get me wrong, every single one of them has been excellent, but Galaxy just took all the elements, mixed them together, and created a near perfect game. It's my number one favorite right now.

It's a tie between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. 64 was and still is one of the best games ever made, and galaxy improved on it even more.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I have some very clear rankings.

1.) Super Mario 64

This is definitely my favorite Mario game. It's a complex 3D platformer that's not exactly a translation of the classic gameplay--but it's certainly the second-best realization of the Mario universe in history. On top of that, the exploration elements shoot the replay value through the roof (here it has an edge on every Mario game but Sunshine, which has more exploration but isn't the least bit fun to explore anyway). Mario's acrobatics feel smooth and are also necessary in the 3D environments; you won't be jumping on enemies much, though you'll still be platforming throughout. This doesn't play exactly like the old Mario games, but it does feel just like them, and sometimes you'll respect how well it all translated to 3D. Not only is this my favorite Mario game, it's my all-time favorite 3D platformer. Period.

If you want the most bang for your buck, get this game. I'd still say it's worth $50, though you can buy it for $10 on the Virtual Console. I'd recommend either the DS or the original version; both bring a lot to the table. While the DS version does offer more levels, I don't really like playing as the other characters. I still prefer going solo through Peach's castle as Mario.

2.) Super Mario Galaxy

This one's second-best to Mario 64, but that doesn't mean it's any less impressive. In fact, it benefits from its comparative linearity and lack of exploration; it has more of an artistic feeling, and the platforming elements are more pronounced. I honestly think this is Nintendo's equivalent of Fantasia. The music is impressive (here's a sample), the worlds are, like Mario 64, expansive, and the gameplay is almost seamless. It does stumble in a couple areas (the gimmicky Wiimote minigames don't always work so well), but the final product is so polished you can excuse whatever deficiencies it has. In some ways, it has even more polish than Mario 64--though that does not make it better.

This is Mario's epic. Somehow, Nintendo managed to take the original concept of a plumber rescuing a princess from a turtle and, without changing much about it except aesthetic, make it an exhilarating, even occasionally emotional experience. As far as I'm concerned, this is the single best game on any console of this entire generation.

3.) Super Mario World

What makes this the best 2D Mario game? It's simple. It takes the grand aspirations of Mario Bros. 3 (which is, I hate to say, not among my favorites) and tosses in the quality level design of the original Mario Bros. Instead of the short, random bursts that characterized the third entry, you get longer, more involved levels with more refinement. On top of that, there's a sandbox feel to the whole package from which you can draw a straight line to Mario 64. Play and replay levels to discover secrets, look for new exits, fish for items. Some levels remain hidden altogether unless you're clever and thorough, and you're usually rewarded for discovering secrets.

Unlike alot of other people, I don't have much of an interest in Yoshi. But it is noteworthy that this is his first game. To be honest, this is almost a "greatest hits" kind of game (ignoring for a moment the existence of Super Mario All-Stars): anything good about 2D Mario is here. And since Mario-style platforming is still best experienced in 2D, this can effectively be termed the definitive conventional Mario experience. Like Mario 64, you can't go wrong with this game.

4.) New Super Mario Bros.

There isn't much I can say about this game. It's a lot like Super Mario World, but it feels simpler, and doesn't quite have the quality level design. It's more gimmicky, like Super Mario Bros. 3. In this case, those gimmicks work quite well, and the levels are still long and creative. It is on the easy side, the new items (giant mushroom and turtle shell) aren't all that useful except, in the former case, for scoring extra lives, and Bowser's been replaced by Bowser Jr., a stupid and ineffective villain. For these reasons, it's not as good as Super Mario World, but don't be fooled; it's still a fun Mario experience that manages to be even better than the original. Highly recommended--just don't make it the only Mario game you ever play.

5.) Super Mario Bros.

This was the first videogame I owned. I spent many long hours with it, usually dying around World 4, but it was still a whole lot of fun. The level design in this game was so effective that I'd argue, within the Mario franchise, it was rivaled only by Super Mario World. Its simple design never felt bogged-down; you just advanced from level to level, stumbling upon rare secrets when you could. I still think the best way to play this is on the original NES with an NES controller. The overhaul it got on the SNES made it feel like a completely different game, and I really liked the 8-bit soundtrack.

This is an obvious recommendation. The only reason it's so far down on the list is because Nintendo's been very good at improving upon the formula, and two of the 3D games are both impressive enough to outclass all the 2D entries. It's still worth playing, and it's a nearly flawless experience.

6.) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

This plays a lot like Super Mario World, except it offers you more freedom and is, as a result, a whole lot easier. You can enter almost every world from the start. Mario controlls smoothly, though more slowly than he does on his console counterparts, and the graphics are as good as anything you'd see on the SNES, they're just in monochrome. The music is also different and familiar at the same time, with a forgotten but still iconic theme. The amount of character in this game is refreshing. It's one of the best games you can find on the Game Boy, and easily the most underrated game of the entire franchise.

7.) Super Mario Land

Playing Mario on the go had to feel great back in the day. That said, this is a short game with generic level themes (it still has a strong soundtrack) and decent level design. Not enough to rival its console brethren, but it didn't have to. A solid translation of classic Mario gameplay to the handheld.

8.) Super Mario Bros. 3

I'm recommending this because it's pivotal to the series and everyone will tell you it is "among the best." I find the level design practically nonexistent, and placement of things feels random. Furthermore, there are a lot of half-baked ideas that wouldn't come into full fruition until Mario World, and the sheer number of suits is overwhelming and feels contrived. This game deserves credit for helping to invent (along with the original Mario Bros.) the aesthetic we now associate with Mario games and tossing out some interesting ideas. It is extremely overrated, and it's not nearly as good as the original Mario Bros. It is still not a bad game.

9.) Super Mario Bros. 2

Not bad, but not particularly great. Now part of the canon. Its gimmicky gameplay was fun for awhile. Whether or not you like this is a matter exclusively of personal taste, so I won't dwell on my opinion of it. I haven't played it as extensively as I've played every other game on this list, so I might not be giving it enough credit.

10.) Super Mario Sunshine

I'm loath to call this a Mario game, as it feels like even less of one than Super Mario Bros. 2. FLUDD ruins platforming. It's beautiful, though, and it's not bad; like Donkey Kong 64, it's just overdone. I do not recommend this game.

I think that's all the major ones. XD Sorry to type them all out, but I tend to get carried away when it comes to this series. Can't hurt to have definitive rankings. 1-7 are all highly recommended, 8 is recommended for its influence, 9 is recommended for its quirkiness and Sunshine...is vaguely playable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom