• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Zelda Games

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm currently replaying all the Zelda games in release order, and I have not yet played Breath of the Wild, so expect my list to change in the near future. Already, the first two games have risen on my list because I had a lot more fun with them during my current playthrough.

Consider this a "before/after" kind of thing. I don't expect MM or TWW to move spots, but I think all of the others are relatively interchangeable.

God Tier:

Majora's Mask - My absolute favourite Zelda game, and I don't see that changing unless BotW completely blows me away.
The Wind Waker - Played this game a thousand times, never get tired of it.​

High Tier

Skyward Sword - Probably the most controversial placement on my list, and I think it's the one that's most likely to change a lot when I get to it again.
A Link Between Worlds - Might move up or down a spot, but I really don't expect this one to change all that much.
Ocarina of Time - See, I think this is a far better game than SS speaking objectively, but I tend to have more fun with the latter. The thing that will probably make this game go up is that it is far more replayable than SS.
The Minish Cap - This game and AlttP are relatively interchangeable at this point. I've only played through TMC once though so we'll see if this placement changes substantially upon my next playthrough.
A Link to the Past - Classic Zelda game. Perfect blend of difficulty, story, and combat. May move a little bit, but will likely remain in the High Tier (currently playing through again).
Oracle of Ages - Another game that I've only played once, and will probably not change much. I loved it when I played it!​

Mid Tier

The Adventure of Link - Just finished this game for the second time, and upon my second playthrough, it jumped substantially (see my sig for old ranking). I found ways to appreciate this game once I had really gotten into it that I had failed to see before. I genuinely enjoyed it, which was something I never thought I'd say about AoL. This one actually has the potential to break into the high tier once I play it again.
Twilight Princess - I find myself liking this game less and less every time I play it, but I can't really figure out why. I loved it the first time, and there are many many things in it that cause me to consider it a genuinely fantastic game. But there's just something about it that makes me hesitant to replay it. Maybe I'll have a newfound appreciation for it when I get to it again, since it has been a few years since I've played it.
Spirit Tracks - This is one that is likely to go down in my list. I really like this game, but there are a lot of things in it that I think could have been done better. I think it will always be higher than Phantom Hourglass, and it will probably always stay Mid-tier, but I don't think it is going to be this high up when I play it again.
The Legend of Zelda - Man, I used to get really bored when I played this game, but I've recently found ways to really enjoy it. It was really close to the bottom of my list before (see my sig), but it has definitely risen in the enjoyment factor for me. Still, I've only beaten it twice, and I haven't mastered it yet, so maybe when I get really good it will go even higher. While it's not there yet, I can see this game jumping way up to the mid-high tier.
Oracle of Seasons - This one is kind of complicated to me. I haven't decided if I love OoS or if it's just OK. I have only played it once though, so I'm sure my opinion on it will change. I absolutely adore its other-half, and I did like this game a lot upon my initial playthrough, but I think its relative focus on combat doesn't really work for the top-down 2D perspective (in contrast to the more puzzle-focused Oracle of Ages). I think this one will most likely go up on my list though when I play it again.
Low Tier - I think these games will likely remain relatively the same. I don't really see my mind changing much upon playing them again.

Tri Force Heroes - Genuinely fun multiplayer experience, and I really appreciate the "Drablands Challenges" adding many new ways to play the game. The problem with this game, ignoring the god-awful single player mode, is that there isn't anything truly mindblowing about it. The totem mechanic is cool, and I do love being able to play with friends, but overall the gameplay is relatively simple and the game gets rather boring and uninteresting after a while. It had a ton of potential, but I feel like it just fell short.
Phantom Hourglass - This one hurts a bit to tell the truth. I really really really want to love it, but I just can't bring myself to do so. I was really excited when I saw that we were getting a DS Zelda game, especially considering it was gonna be a sequel to what was then my favourite Zelda game. Then I got it, and it fell below my expectations, which was a real shame because it had a lot going for it. Ignoring the fact that it's too easy, the sailing was even more tedious than in its predecessor, and the Temple of the Ocean King, while a cool idea on paper, didn't work for me. Plus some of the controls were kind of weird (and thankfully most were improved in its successor), which lessened my enjoyment of the game even more. While I do have fun with it, I've always seen it as just being sort of OK. Not great, not bad. Just good.
Four Swords Adventures - I used to absolutely love this game, but it drops on my list every time I revisit it. It's fun the first time, and it's got some really great puzzles in it, but it's just not that interesting, and its replay value is severely lacking. There's some interesting level design, but I don't like how all the levels are disconnected (which is a problem with all of the Four Swords games, including TFH). It's also really easy. There are things about it that I love still, but I just don't enjoy it like I used to.
Four Swords - Basically suffers from all the same problems as Four Swords Adventures, but adding on an extreme inaccessibility issue. I really don't have a whole lot to say about this game. I do like it, and I enjoy playing it, but I think as a Zelda game, it really falls short.​
My ranking has changed a bit since this post. Most notably, my placement of Skyward Sword is a good few spots lower now.

I've been contemplating where to put Breath of the Wild on this list. It's a great game for sure, but I struggle to believe it's going to be very replayable for me. Right now I'd probably put it right below A Link Between Worlds but it's so different from all the other games in so many ways that it makes it hard to compare it to the other Zelda games. And I think once I play through it a second time, depending on whether or not I'm proven wrong about the replayability, it could either move up or down.

Ninja

Well well well
My ranking has changed a bit since this post. Most notably, my placement of Skyward Sword is a good few spots lower now.

I've been contemplating where to put Breath of the Wild on this list. It's a great game for sure, but I struggle to believe it's going to be very replayable for me. Right now I'd probably put it right below A Link Between Worlds but it's so different from all the other games in so many ways that it makes it hard to compare it to the other Zelda games. And I think once I play through it a second time, depending on whether or not I'm proven wrong about the replayability, it could either move up or down.

I can speak for the replay value a tad. I beat it and nearly completed most of it on the Wii U version, then rebought it when I got the Switch.

Aside from doing the Divine Beasts in a different order, nothing really changes. I'd say replaying the game for the story elements is a lackluster experience. The true replay value of the game is really exploring the whole map and collecting everything.

Once you do that, unfortunately the game gets a touch boring, unless you really like the exploration factor.

My favourite game is A Link To The Past because it was my first Zelda ever. My least favourite is Zelda 2.

It’s a little difficult to say as I’ve only owned and played handheld Nintendo consoles so top 5 would have to be

1. Minish Cap
2. Links Awakening DX
3. A Link Between Worlds
4. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
5. Phantom Hourglass

Favourite is Wind Waker, and it would take quite the game to change that.

My least favourite is Spirit Tracks, which is saying a lot because I actually really like ST and PH.

I'm just going to rank the games I have. Makes it fair that way.

10) Four Swords
This came in the GBA edition of A Link to the Past. The problem? It's strictly multiplayer, and there was no-one else who had the game, let alone a link (hehe) cable that would make it possible to play. Cut to the present day, and the GBA is pretty much history, thus making the chances of playing this game next to zero. The idea of a purely multiplayer Zelda game just felt alienating to me, personally. I'm sure this game has its fans, to which I say good for you, but it just felt frustrating to have been so close to playing a game and yet so far. This is a shame really, because I have been entering a point recently where I wish to collect and play as many Zelda games as I can, and amidst that collection lies a game which I can never play.

9) The Legend of Zelda
The original! I didn't play this on the NES when I grew up, but got it as part of the Collector's Edition on the Gamecube. It's weird playing this game after playing later titles, because as much as I enjoy it in its own way, the age definitely shows. It simply hasn't aged well, but I don't let that dampen my experience entirely. I can certainly see how this sparked a franchise. The music is catchy, and there is a degree of charm to the game as a whole. However, it is not a friendly game to rookie gamers. It's the first game I felt I needed a guide (thank the gods for this generation's possession of the Internet) in order to properly enjoy it. I appreciate a challenge, but the difficulty can be off-putting. I'm not saying this is a bad game by any means, I still enjoy it. I just think it's more of a game for experienced gamers.

8) The Adventure of Link
Like the original NES classic, I first played this game on the Collector's Edition. I heard a lot about how hard this game was, and maybe it's due to an excess of hype on my part, but it's not as bad as I expected...by a margin. I have found myself really frustrated at times, and much of the difficulty comes from a questionable mechanic: respawning at the Northern Palace every time you get a Game Over. I can understand the tough enemies ad so forth, but I feel like the game could have been more enjoyable if it weren't for this cruel gimmick (seriously, Death Mountain would have been more tolerable if you could just respawn at a certain point, saving a lot of grinding to get back)! Regardless, I enjoy the soundtrack and I appreciate the difference in format (RPG elements, side-scrolling...).

7) Skyward Sword
My most recent game, and whilst I do really enjoy it (then again, there isn't a Zelda game that I haven't enjoyed), some flaws are worth mentioning, namely the WiiMotion Plus mechanic, which is given a lot of emphasis, for better or for worse. That and the story can get a bit long, sometimes unnecessarily. I feel like I need to play it again to get a proper impression of it, but in spite of these little flaws, I still really like this game. The innovative gameplay, the characters, the music. It does a great job!

6) The Wind Waker
I'm not among the people who dislikes the visuals (if anything, I find it rather charming, and it adds more emotion). I like the sense of adventure and the story for starters. I like how the journey is more personal, and the plot that involves the Master Sword and so forth comes second. Link isn't going on this quest to fulfil his destiny, he's doing it to save those he cares about, making it more character-driven. I like that Zelda is more of an action girl this time around (at least until she's demoted to sitting in the castle for part of the game).
The things that bug me the most are mainly the sailing (there's too much of it; the version I have is the Gamecube version, so no Fast Sail), and the Triforce quest (I'm among those who utterly despise Tingle for the immature, greedy bastard that he is). Overall, a nice adventure with original features that I find myself going back to.

5) Twilight Princess
The game that got me into the Zelda series in the first place, and my favourite for a long time, until recently. Long story short, I played this game so many times when I got it, and I simply moved on at that point. I still love it though. I am aware of the numerous similarities with Ocarina of Time, but that doesn't bother me as much. I appreciate the easiness in parts as it was that helped ease me into the series for its accessibility (I wasn't a very good gamer back when I first played it). I love the atmosphere, the epic scale (although the overworld is admittedly a little empty; I guess I just feel spoiled by games such as the Elder Scrolls), the characters, the music...I also like the game implementing a sense of Tolkien into it, as I was already really into those books at the time. I just have a special fondness, a form of gratitude for instalments that introduced me to their respective franchises. Just like Princess Mononoke is one of my favourite movies for introducing me to Studio Ghibli, this game is one of my favourite Zelda games for introducing me to the series.

4) Ocarina of Time
I may feel like this game is a bit overrated, that it may not be the "greatest video game ever made", but that doesn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it every time I go back to it. It revolutionised the series, as well as 3D gaming, in many ways, that's for sure, and I feel like it's aged better than the first game, a lot more accessible to all gamers. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to try out the series (though I would point them to the 3DS version for it being easier to get, as well as more updated. This is funny, seeing as I own the Gamecube re-release, both Master Quest and Collector's Edition).

3) The Minish Cap
This is possibly the most innovative game in the series that have ever played. The shrinking mechanic, as well as the cloning with the sword upgrades, feel fresh and new. This is what the Zelda series is really good at, adding new features to each new instalment, and this game exemplifies that perfectly. The villain is interesting, the gameplay is engaging, the music is gorgeous (with some nice callbacks to the NES classic). This is just so much fun all the way through, with my one complaint being that it feels a bit short (if only there were more dungeons). Overall, a game that I highly recommend trying out.

2) Majora's Mask
It was thanks to the Collector's Edition that I finally and thankfully got to play this, after spending so long thinking I actually had to get a N64 and Expansion Pak just to get this game. I got to experience it technically through watching Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of it, and to actually play it myself is an immense pleasure. I love the setting, the deep storytelling (including all the theories surrounding the world itself), the dark tone, the mechanics surrounding the three-day structure and the masks (what's more, Tingle is actually bearable in this game). What's more, this is also another emotional journey for Link, like in The Wind Waker, only more powerful. I love how the side quests get more focus here, to encourage the player to get to know the world they're trying to save, the people who inhabit it. There is a sense of serene beauty to the whole thing, in a rather morbid sense. You feel a sense of death everywhere, and saving the world you're in is the only way to feel like you're at peace. That may not make sense, but experience varies according to the player, and this is what it felt like personally. We have no idea as to Termina's true nature, whether it's a physical country or a higher plane of existence, but that alone adds to the game's mystery.

1) A Link to the Past
This feels like the definitive Zelda game, the instalment that defined what the series is as a whole as it finds its footsteps. The graphics are still gorgeous even to this day, the story is a classic, the gameplay is challenging but not unfairly so, the length is just right (plenty of dungeons, loads to do in the overworld, and the story doesn't go for too long). There is so much to say, but difficult to put into words, it is that good. I still find myself going back to it every now and then, and I still enjoy it just as much as I always have.

Well, I have played a handful of Legend of Zelda titles, and own most of the 3D titles, so I'll just make a list of the one's I thoroughly enjoy from most to least.

1. Twilight Princess (I still enjoy it to this day, and it is undoubtedly everything that Ocarina of Time aspired to be, and more - if you're into the gritty Zelda experience, then Twilight Princess is for you.)

2. Ocarina of Time (Perhaps it's just nostalgia talking, but I can never forsake this game and I will always hold a special place for it in my heart as being my first LoZ experience.)

3. Skyward Sword (Having replayed it only just this week - it truly is worthy of being called an LoZ game, and an LoZ experience. Perhaps it's more linear than other entries in the series but that's okay, it more than makes up for it with the brillant cast of characters and the well-told story and landscapes. The dungeons are creative enough to keep you on your toes with mental gymnastics.)

4. Wind Waker (Technically my second LoZ experience and you'd think it'd be number three on the list but as well as the game has aged, and as good as the story is - Skyward Sword is just that much better. Maybe it's because I've always enjoyed an older-teenaged Link rather than a younger-child Link. Now, it's not a bad game, and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I play it but in my personal opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to Skyward Sword. Wind Waker is a lot less linear than Skyward Sword, and has a particularly great emphasis on exploration - perhaps even more so than Twilight Princess but I think that's part of the problem. Exploration is great but the game was saturated with it, having to find all 8 shards of the Triforce of Courage was a tremendous chore, I would have preferred another dungeon segment.)

Okay, so what about the 2D titles? Yes, I've played those too, but not all of them. I'm just not a big fan of the 2D titles but I do have some favourites.

1. Minish Cap (I fell in love with this game - it's just... so, so perfect)

2. Spirit Tracks (Worth it alone for Link and Zelda's friendship evolving throughout the game)

3. A Link to the Past (Okay, so this is it... the Zelda game that many fans say, is the definitive LoZ experience. Are they right? Well, yeah, they are. It's a really good game and you'll easily find yourself lost trying to figure out what the heck you're doing, and where you're going to go next. However, I just can't seem to progress past any further than getting the Master Sword. Not for lack of trying, but the game is oversaturated with fighting, and controls are just so frustrating. If not for the frustrating controls, I'd continue playing it because I want to like this game, it is that good from a story telling perspective and a dungeon layout. If this game was ever remastered in a 3D engine, I would happily buy it, and play it.)

Hydef Hyrule

HD and beyond
Haven't played all of them, but close! I recently starting a quest to playthrough the 3D Zeldas again. Beat Ocarina of Time last night, yep, still holds up. (Here's a video I made about it if you interested : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ommmSq5YeXE ) I'm curious to see if my stance on any of the other 3D games will change afterwards. I'm probably going to skip Skyward Sword, I really didn't like that game...

Anyway here's my list.

God Tier - Games that not only innovated the industry but remain classic adventures
Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Breath of the Wild

Great Tier - Love these too, just not quite as much as the above
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Link's Awakening
Zelda 1

Solid Tier - Still good games, but starting to exhibit some design issues or stagnation
Zelda 2
Oracle of Seasons / Ages

Uh... it came with a nice Zelda series soundtrack CD. The only times I've sold my copies of a Zelda game here and below.
Skyward Sword

Nintendo, why?
Spirit Tracks

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Now with Breath of the Wild out it's time to remake these threads to get some renewed discussion and opinions which take into consideration the newest titles too.

So please let us know what you think below. How are your personal Zelda game rankings looking these days? Has Breath of the Wild taken your top place?

I haven't played Breath of the Wild for more than a minute yet so I can't really give an opinion on it. But even after I play it, I'm sure that my opinion will still look something like this:

Favorite: Ocarina of Time

Least favorite: Skyward Sword

That being said, I personally think that A Link Between Worlds is the most underrated in the series and really deserves to be somewhere near the top. I actually liked it better than A Link to the Past, so I really wish it got a little more love.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Been replaying BOTW a bit and I gotta say...it gets harder to replay each time. The best way for me to describe it is that it feels like a reasonably good AAA game that's fun to play...but also buried under a mountain of ****. Odyssey kinda has this problem too, but in that case it's more of a pile not a mountain. I can ignore the filler and get to the good stuff really easily, but with BOTW it feels like I'm constantly struggling to save a drowning person. I just have to keep digging and digging because while the good game is there and is fun to play, where BOTW fails, it fails horribly and it really hurts the game.

I've played the game eight times now--which tbh isn't much for me, but among those seven replays, one was to Rush to Ganon, the other was to try Master Mode. The rest all focused on me, trying to find a way to make the game reasonably playable without subjugating myself to too much tedium and boredom. And while I have managed to work around some of the flaws, the overworld in particular just can't be overcome. I've tried everything from rushing to the Master Cycle to abusing the Flying Machine glitch 24/7, but it's just not enough.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
My post in this thread was an alt...

1. MM
2. TP
3. ALBW
4. Oot
5. BOTW
6. TWW
7. ALttP
8. OoA
9. OoS
10. LA
11. LoZ
12. AoL
13. TMC
14. FSA
15. FS

Favorites: OoT, MM, LttP, TP (albeit I need to try a Gamecube version at some point, so far only played Wii, far preferred SS's controls over TP's Wii controls), SS. I desperately need to get a Switch and BotW...
Dislikes: ST (stupid music mechanic, had to rely on my sister to get past the sage songs, then got stuck on the final boss and I doubt I would even have a hope of doing that final musical number), FS/FSA/TFH (I haven't and have no intention of playing them, or Metroid Federation Force for that matter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom