• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Zelda Games

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
1. Skyward Sword
2. A Link to the Past
3. Tingle's Rosy Rup---
*bang
*click
*beeeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeep

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm currently replaying all the Zelda games in release order, and I have not yet played Breath of the Wild, so expect my list to change in the near future. Already, the first two games have risen on my list because I had a lot more fun with them during my current playthrough.

Consider this a "before/after" kind of thing. I don't expect MM or TWW to move spots, but I think all of the others are relatively interchangeable.

God Tier:

Majora's Mask - My absolute favourite Zelda game, and I don't see that changing unless BotW completely blows me away.
The Wind Waker - Played this game a thousand times, never get tired of it.​

High Tier

Skyward Sword - Probably the most controversial placement on my list, and I think it's the one that's most likely to change a lot when I get to it again.
A Link Between Worlds - Might move up or down a spot, but I really don't expect this one to change all that much.
Ocarina of Time - See, I think this is a far better game than SS speaking objectively, but I tend to have more fun with the latter. The thing that will probably make this game go up is that it is far more replayable than SS.
The Minish Cap - This game and AlttP are relatively interchangeable at this point. I've only played through TMC once though so we'll see if this placement changes substantially upon my next playthrough.
A Link to the Past - Classic Zelda game. Perfect blend of difficulty, story, and combat. May move a little bit, but will likely remain in the High Tier (currently playing through again).
Oracle of Ages - Another game that I've only played once, and will probably not change much. I loved it when I played it!​

Mid Tier

The Adventure of Link - Just finished this game for the second time, and upon my second playthrough, it jumped substantially (see my sig for old ranking). I found ways to appreciate this game once I had really gotten into it that I had failed to see before. I genuinely enjoyed it, which was something I never thought I'd say about AoL. This one actually has the potential to break into the high tier once I play it again.
Twilight Princess - I find myself liking this game less and less every time I play it, but I can't really figure out why. I loved it the first time, and there are many many things in it that cause me to consider it a genuinely fantastic game. But there's just something about it that makes me hesitant to replay it. Maybe I'll have a newfound appreciation for it when I get to it again, since it has been a few years since I've played it.
Spirit Tracks - This is one that is likely to go down in my list. I really like this game, but there are a lot of things in it that I think could have been done better. I think it will always be higher than Phantom Hourglass, and it will probably always stay Mid-tier, but I don't think it is going to be this high up when I play it again.
The Legend of Zelda - Man, I used to get really bored when I played this game, but I've recently found ways to really enjoy it. It was really close to the bottom of my list before (see my sig), but it has definitely risen in the enjoyment factor for me. Still, I've only beaten it twice, and I haven't mastered it yet, so maybe when I get really good it will go even higher. While it's not there yet, I can see this game jumping way up to the mid-high tier.
Oracle of Seasons - This one is kind of complicated to me. I haven't decided if I love OoS or if it's just OK. I have only played it once though, so I'm sure my opinion on it will change. I absolutely adore its other-half, and I did like this game a lot upon my initial playthrough, but I think its relative focus on combat doesn't really work for the top-down 2D perspective (in contrast to the more puzzle-focused Oracle of Ages). I think this one will most likely go up on my list though when I play it again.
Low Tier - I think these games will likely remain relatively the same. I don't really see my mind changing much upon playing them again.

Tri Force Heroes - Genuinely fun multiplayer experience, and I really appreciate the "Drablands Challenges" adding many new ways to play the game. The problem with this game, ignoring the god-awful single player mode, is that there isn't anything truly mindblowing about it. The totem mechanic is cool, and I do love being able to play with friends, but overall the gameplay is relatively simple and the game gets rather boring and uninteresting after a while. It had a ton of potential, but I feel like it just fell short.
Phantom Hourglass - This one hurts a bit to tell the truth. I really really really want to love it, but I just can't bring myself to do so. I was really excited when I saw that we were getting a DS Zelda game, especially considering it was gonna be a sequel to what was then my favourite Zelda game. Then I got it, and it fell below my expectations, which was a real shame because it had a lot going for it. Ignoring the fact that it's too easy, the sailing was even more tedious than in its predecessor, and the Temple of the Ocean King, while a cool idea on paper, didn't work for me. Plus some of the controls were kind of weird (and thankfully most were improved in its successor), which lessened my enjoyment of the game even more. While I do have fun with it, I've always seen it as just being sort of OK. Not great, not bad. Just good.
Four Swords Adventures - I used to absolutely love this game, but it drops on my list every time I revisit it. It's fun the first time, and it's got some really great puzzles in it, but it's just not that interesting, and its replay value is severely lacking. There's some interesting level design, but I don't like how all the levels are disconnected (which is a problem with all of the Four Swords games, including TFH). It's also really easy. There are things about it that I love still, but I just don't enjoy it like I used to.
Four Swords - Basically suffers from all the same problems as Four Swords Adventures, but adding on an extreme inaccessibility issue. I really don't have a whole lot to say about this game. I do like it, and I enjoy playing it, but I think as a Zelda game, it really falls short.​

I'll rank the games I've played:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Twilight Princess
3. Wind Waker
4. Skyward Sword
5. Ocarina of Time
6. The Legend of Zelda
7. Majora's Mask

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
[early 2019 update]

1. Wind Waker
2. Twilight Princess
3. Majora's Mask
4. Breath of the Wild
5. Skyward Sword
6. Minish Cap
7. Ocarina of Time
8. Link b/w Worlds
9. Link's Awakening
10. Link to the Past
11. Zelda 2
12. Oracle of Ages
13. Legend of Zelda
14. Four Swords
15. Oracle of Seasons

honestly,anything below Zelda 2 is just a whole lot of whatever,and anything else I still haven't played either at all or all the way through,though I'll jam them into a spot once I do play/finish them

Last edited:
Ocarina of Time often gets listed as the best Zelda game because it broke so much new ground.

I get that it was a game-changer way back in '98. It gets appropriate props for being such a monumental game.

The problem I have with bestowing it with such greatness (it always seems to be #1 on Youtube top-10 Zelda lists) is this hypothetical:

Let's say I decide to put my WiiU (which has Ocarina of Time on the hard-drive) and my WiiU games (which includes the WiiU version of Twilight Princess) on Craig's list. It gets purchased by a 22-year old dude who was weaned on Sony and didn't play much Nintendo as a kid and certainly hadn't played any Zelda games. So, he buys my WiiU and plays OOT and TP. Which game does he think is the better game? I would argue he'd say TP is the better game and it's not particularly close.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Here we go (No order to the items in each tier):

Highest Tier:

Twilight Princess
- Great quantity of things to do, (mainly) good dungeons, Ganondorf, very memorable, great music, great story
Ocarina of Time- Great Music, lovely dungeons, Ganondorf (His coolest version), very memoreable, great bosses, great story, nostalgia
Skyward Sword- By now, you all know that I LOVE SS. Ghirahim, Motion Controls, one of the hotter Zeldas, Groose, Ghirahim again, great story, great music, nostalgia

High Tier:

The Wind Waker
- Nice overworld, enjoyed the sailing, Ganondorf, good music, decent puzzles, alright story
Breath of The Wild- Decent music when there is any, lots of stuff to do, shrines, Korok Seeds, exploration, towers
A Link to the Past- Fun dungeons, exploration (inside the dungeons mostly), good story for the time, good music

Mid Tier:

The Minish Cap
- Easy, but entertaining, with good overall quality
Legend of Zelda- The game that started it all. Fun exploration, fun to find dungeons, difficult

Lower Tier:

A Link Between Worlds
- Cool to revisit the ALttP setting
Phantom Hourglass- Meh
Spirit Tracks- Meh
Oracle Series- Interesting, but meh
Link's Awakening- Liked the cameos, but meh

Bottom Tier:

Zelda II
- Downright awful. No wonder we don't have another game like it!

Never Played:

Tri Force Heroes
- Sounds like a cool idea, but story is big, and I know it has an awful story. Never done any gameplay, though, so I can't judge at the current moment.

Oh, did I forget Majora's Mask? No, I didn't. To me, Majora's Mask issssss...........................................

I can't decide. Highest Tier, or high tier? Gaah!

Remember, there is no order to the lists. Just because I put TP above OoT does NOT mean I like it more, and things like that.

Yet to get my hands on BotW.
For now my tier list is as follows:

God Tier (no particular order)
  1. WW
  2. ALttP
  3. MM
  4. SS
  5. Minish Cap
  6. Link's Awakening
  7. ALBW
Okay Tier
  1. TP
  2. Oracle games
  3. FS/FSA
**** Tier: Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, LCT, TFH

Hmm, I don’t think I’ve ever expressed my favourite/worst Zelda game on here, so what the hell. My favourite Zelda games in descending order are:

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Twilight Princess
3. Hyrule Warriors
4. Majora’s Mask
5. Skyward Sword
6. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
7. The Wind Waker
8. A Link to the Past
9. A Link Between Worlds
10. The Legend of Zelda
11. Breath of the Wild
12. Phantom Hourglass
13. Spirit Tracks
14. Four Sword Adventures
15. The Minish Cap
16. Link’s Awakening
17. The Adventure of Link
18. Four Swords

I haven’t put Triforce Heroes on here because it’s the only Zelda game I haven’t played, but I don’t intend to do so anytime soon as I’m not interested in it. Even if I did play the game, I’m pretty sure I know where it will go.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
S- Botw, TP, OoT
A- MM, TWW, SS
B- ALttP, TFH, ALBW
C- OoS, OoA, TMC
D- LoZ, ST, AoL
E- PH, LA, FSA
FS

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
My favorite games:
Wind Waker
Majoras Mask
A Link Between Worlds

I loved the heck out of these games:
Breath of the Wild
Ocarina of Time
A Link to the Past

I liked these games a lot:
Links Awakening
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
Minish Cap
Spirit Tracks

These games were okay, I had some fun with them:
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda
Triforce Heroes
Four Swords Adventures

Bleh:
Zelda Four Swords

Hate:
Phantom Hourglass
Zelda 2: Adventure of Link

Yup. That's pretty much where I stand, and I think I definitively know now where BotW stands on my list. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14134

God Teir:
-Twilight Princess
-BOTW

Great Teir:
-OoT
-MM
-ALBW
-Minish Cap

Good Tier:
- Phantom Hourglass
- LTTP
- Oracle Games

OK Tier:
- Zelda 1
- Zelda 2
- Links Awakening

Groose Tier:
-Wind Waker
-Skyward Sword
-Spirit Tracks

funnier6

Courage~
I like pretty much all Zelda games the same, it's basically most nostalgic to least nostalgic, but I will say ALBW was the only Zelda game that disappointed me, since it was basically a remake and just felt like a better looking version of alttp. (Ravio was cool though)

OoS & OoA and OoT are my favorites if I had to choose, all the rest I couldn't possibly compare.

Ninja

Well well well
Top 5
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Twilight Princess
4. Wind Waker
5. Hyrule Warriors (if the list has to be canon, Majoras Mask will take its place)

Least favorites: Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, FSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom