• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Incarnation of Ganon

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
Hey guys! Since BOTW is out soon, and the new Calamity Ganon is going to be featured in it, I was wondering what some of your favorite versions of Ganon are?

My personal favorite is Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf. He looks so epic!
My least favorite would have to be.... Demise (ugh)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
My favourite is Hyrule Warriors. I love his personality in that game, similar to OOT where he is very cocky and seems to just love being evil. In both TP and especially WW he seems more mellowed out.

The other thing of course with HW Ganondorf is the look. I love that thick saiyan mane and I hope to see it on future incarnations.

Worst Ganon is the dumb monster Ganon from either LOZ or OOX. No personality at all to like. ALTTP and even FSA Ganon had intelligence and were characters rather than just beasts.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I like The Dorf's first portrayal in Ocarina of Time. The concept of a brash, sadistic, tyrannical young prince with delusions of grandeur is so compelling - especially given how easily he manages to rise and fall (though not through any lack of effort on Link's part). This dude grew up the only guy among a harem of thieves, ordained to be their sovereign since birth, and raised by a couple of keese-shat crazy old witches. There is just no way this poor kid was going to end up as anything other than utterly evil. His arrogance and smooth confidence makes for a compelling villain.

Second favorite? Twilight Princess. Here we have an older Ganon who got his arse handed to him in ways this poor megalomaniac just couldn't possibly accept. Cynicism has clearly taken over. Gone is the brash arrogance and smooth confidence of his youth. TP Dorf is a madman tempered by defeat. In a way Ganondorf's defeat only made him stronger. And by stronger I mean royally pissed off. TP Dorf is very straight forward. This dude is just pure full on unbridled psychopathic rage. No frills. Just seething hate and anger. Terrifying.

Honorable mention? Wind Waker Ganon. This guy's awfully sympathetic. I mean, heck, if you read between the lines Link and especially Daphnes come off as jerks. The narrative of WW is so vague and haphazard it doesn't even really bother to explain what Ganon was trying to do exactly. In a sense he's a guy who admires Hyrule as much as Daphnes. I'm certain the Dorf wouldn't have been a benevolent ruler, but we see him here as a sad defeated man on his last desperate bid to claim the land he fought for repeatedly. Kinda pathetic really. Aspects of Ganon's portrayal here don't really jive with the rest of the series and even its own game. For instance, Ganon is rarely referred to as Ganondorf and we never see aspects of his bestial nature despite his monstrous form being depicted as the force that called for the flooding of Hyrule in the first place. But I chalk these complications up to WW's slipshod execution overall. Still, WW managed to portray the Dorf in a way you could almost understand and sympathize with.

Lease favorite? Demise. If by "least favorite" you mean "strongly desire to viciously eradicate all historical evidence of and pretend it never happened." Demise is flat out insulting. To Ganon's character and the whole TLoZ mythos.

Let me think.... My favorite one I think is the Ganondorf/Ganon fight from Ocarina of Time. It's not because it's my first, but simply because it just felt so epically climactic and cinematic. As for my least favorite, I think it might actually be the one from Twilight Princess. It somehow just felt like a pale mockery, and it didn't have even a shred of difficulty. Felt like it was just going through all the motions of a final boss, somehow even with the whole castle before it, it just didn't feel properly built up.

I think I'll be the odd one out here, go out on a limb and say Demise. His fight was pretty dramatic and exciting, and the final blow was just epic. Link twisting in air as the lightning bolt strikes the master sword ending with such a sudden and elaborate flourish... like breaking the backboard in a basketball game.

Least favorite? Ganon from a link to the past for no other reason than he was just infuriating and burned through so much health.

Pen

The game is on!
I haven't quite beaten BotW yet, so I won't be judging that version of Ganon. My favourite incarnation of him has always been the one in WW. I find that WW is the only game in which Ganon is actually a relatable villain, and he's also very central to the plot (unlike TP for example).

My least favourite would have to be his appearance in the Oracle games and FSA since it just feels so forced and out of place.

I love tWW Ganondorf and Calamity Ganon for very different reasons. tWW Ganondorf is the epitome of his humanity, the Calamity is the epitome of his descent into Malice.

Worst versions - Probably TP's - didn't quite get the balance of either aspect right.

Although obviously the best is WoG/FoE. YOU WILL DIE.

Wind Waker Ganon for me.

He is rather humble (for lack of a better word) he must have matured while being sealed away (must have had lots of time to think and reassess why he was trying ti take over Hyrule in the first place). I like where he arrived at, that in the end he wanted a better, niced, safer place for his people where the wind didnt carry death.

I liked that he didnt even want to kill the new Link (until Daphnes ninja'd him to the Triforce).

Secon would be calamity Ganon just because i love how simple and pure his concept is.

Opposite sides of the same coin but both good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom