• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least favorite Dungeon

Favourite: Hyrule Castle from Twilight Princess- I know a lot of people don't really see this as a dungeon but i really liked it. The sense of scale in TP was already quite grande and Hyrule Castle just felt like the best way to end the list of dungeons, the interior was large and ornate and felt like a Castle and not just an elaborate dungeon, nothing felt forced into it to make it into a dungeon, it just felt very natural. Not only did we have the interior of the castle but we also had the graveyard which i really enjoyed and aside from Snowpeak Ruins, felt to me to be the only dungeon that really made good use of Wolf Link's senses. Although right before you confront Ganondorf, where you have stairs on the left and right of you, did that layout remind anyone of the final boss location in Shadow of the Colossus?

Least favourite: My first hate in Zelda as far as temples go will always be the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass, its awful. It is an awful idea to make a stealth dungeon where you have to repeat every single room every time you visit a timed dungeon! Awful idea with awfully long winded puzzles that were also awful, it was such a chore... but my hate stems from the timer more than anything else so perhaps it isn't fair to judge this one so harshly since i don't mind the Temple of SPirits in Spirit Tracks so much even though it had some awful puzzles too.

So for a fairer choice I'm going to say the Sandship from SS. SS's dungeons were weird, some were really short (i like those ones because i don't have to stay there long, and other were a chore like the Fire Sanctuary with all of that digging and underground switch smakcing) but Sandship not only had an awful boss but its design felt really unrealised. All the dungeon seemed to be to me was to figure out when and what room to use to hit the Timeshift Stone on the mast to further our progress and it wasn't hard to figure out either. The other thing i hated about it is that having completed Lanayru Mining Facility (my personal fave SS dungeon) before the Sandship the second half of the Sandship with the pistons and conveyor belts just didn't feel new or exciting and weren't as challenging or as fun as anything seen in the Lanayru Mining Facility which just added to my disappointment. It would have been nice for this dungeon to have been better because it was a very refreshing place to have a dungeon (if you don't include the pirate ship dungeon in PH), I'd like to see the SS trend of having dungeons in interesting places, the only thing Nintendo need to do is make them better.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
So for a fairer choice I'm going to say the Sandship from SS. ...its design felt really unrealised. All the dungeon seemed to be to me was to figure out when and what room to use to hit the Timeshift Stone on the mast to further our progress and it wasn't hard to figure out either.

The Sandship felt like a ship, which was Nintendo's goal, much like how the Snowpeak Ruins felt like a mansion. How was its design not realized?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
The Fire Sanctuary was my favorite dungeon in Skyward Sword. First of all, I like fire places in Zelda, and since the Fire Sanctuary is one biased my opinion a little. The design of the dungeon, while still a bit too small, was great. And while it didn't have the most tough puzzles, I liked the innovative underground concept.

B

Banjo

Favorite is the Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask.

Least favorites are the water temples from both OoT and MM.

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
I liked The Stone Tower Temple, and the Spirit Temple from OoT. They were filled with traps and were really fun. I also like the Earth Temple from SS. It was really cool and had a good feel to it. I think the mini-boss was kinda lame, but the boss, Scaldera was kinda cool. Those temples were fun to beat.

The temple I don't like would be The City in the Sky from TP. It was kinda boring and confusing. Figuring out where to go was hard. It just wasn't that great.

Last edited:

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
My favourite dungeons have always been OoT's Forest and Water temples :)

I love the Forest Temple because when I was young I can remember myself just being so scared of it and just engulfed by mystery. The dungeon itself is amazing. Amazing music, amazing puzzles, a GREAT atmosphere and a memorable, challenging boss. To this day I still LOVE playing through that dungeon.

I believe that the Water Temple is pretty much the ultimate Zelda dungeon. So many people get confused by it ( I think dungeons should do that to the people playing ) and everyone seems to know about the dread people experience while playing through it. There are so many passages and keys which make it great and confusing. It has an amazing theme and also an amazing mid-boss, the infamous Shadow Link. This is another dungeon I feel pretty nostalgic while playing through because I remember the beautiful theme from when I was a kid and the large atmospheric rooms like the staircase room, Shadow Links room and the rolling boulder rooms.

Believe it or not, I do not have a least favourite Zelda dungeon.

S

Shard

My favorite dungeon is the last dungeon of "The Legend of Zelda"... its got the most challenge to it because every time i play the game i can never remember exactly what to do its the only dungeon iv EVER needed a walkthrough for and iv only ever needed it once.

my least favorite... i would have to say is the water temple in "OOT Master Quest" its so barren of enemy's and just annoying to play... i didn't really like it.

My favorite temple was the Fire Temple from OoT because when I played it on the Nintendo 64 I could easily memorize it and I like the big puzzles it has and also the big rooms. My least favorite Temple is the Water Temple from OoT because the only hints it gave you was the one with Princess Ruto, you had to keep raising and lowering the water level, and I had the boos fight of the temple. The only good thing I liked about this Temple is the fight with Dark Link.

My favorite dungeon is either the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time, Ancient Cistern from Skyward Sword or Wind Temple from Wind Waker.

My least favorite dungeon is probably City in the Sky from Twilight Princess or Lanayru Mining Facility from Skyward Sword.

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
Skyward Sword thankfully introduced me to one of my favourite Zelda dungeons of all time- The Lanayru Mining Facility.

This dungeon was beautifully designed. I loved basically every puzzle in this dungeon. The use of the gustbellows to push platforms across large gaps just took Zelda puzzles to the next level. It also introduced some of my favourite and most hated enemies in Skyward Sword. The Beamos and Armos were brilliantly constructed enemies and utilized the motion controls to the fullest extent possible.

The theme for this dungeon was beautifully composed in both its present and past forms and I thought it fit the dungeon PERFECTLY.

I know I'm a fanboy towards this dungeon but I can't say it enough how much I love the past and present idea associated with the dungeon. By using this theme they were able to perfectly construct a dungeon that used sand and mechanics. It's like a two-in-one dungeon. The Gustbellows was also used most effectively on both sides of it. Blowing sand away to uncover spikes, switches and enemies on one half and turning switches and opening up enemies weak points on the other half. Genius ideas, props to Nintendo.

If only the boss was a little better. I'm not a big fan of Moldarach, simply because I found the strategy repetitive, boring and excruciatingly easy. I guess I can live with it though because the second half of the fight was fun.

The cool cutscene that follows the dungeon is also pretty darn cool. It changes the pace of the story and let's you know your pretty much at the halfway point of the game. While doing that it also remains epic and fun to watch.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
My favorite in this game was the Ancient Cistern. I loved the boss, and the darker area of this temple. It was simply well done. I also enjoyed Sky Keep, as it was challenging, and incorporated the environment of each area on the surface.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
Favorite is definitely the Sandship. The way it had to be in a different state to get different stuff done made it such a interesting dungeon. I would compare it to Stone Tower in this way . . . but I think MM is the best game in the series and Stone Tower is the best dungeon of the game, and NOTHING compares to it. Despite how much I loved this dungeon, I thought the boss sucked. Tentalus and Koloktos I though were the worst bosses in all of the games I've played. The entire battle consisted of running randomly around in figure eights (or an equally dizzying pattern) and shooting out Skyward Strikes at whatever pops up in your path, shooting, flailing, more shooting, more flailing, then its over.
I did love the Skykeep, but I didn't really see the 'whole dungeon is a puzzle' theme that people seem to like about it. The individual rooms are puzzles, you just have to arrange them to get to where you're going, then rearrange them again to get to the next spot, then again and you're done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom