• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least favorite Dungeon

R

RiseoftheGerudo

Anchient Cistern or Sandship. :)

I personally DISLIKE the Earth Temple and the Lanayru Mining Facility. :(

just my opinion.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Wow, I always seem to have an unpopular opinion when it comes to these things. o_O

My favorite was the, *ahem*, Earth Temple. I only liked the dark half of the Ancient Cistern...

I hated most of the dungeons in this game, they were either too short or not challenging enough or both.

My favourite would have to be the Lanyru Mining Facility; it was nice to have an electricity(kind of) themed dungeon, the music was memorable, the puzzles were obvious enough but not so easy to pull off some of the time which made a nice challenge in some instances, the gust bellows to move the platforms worked well, it was also a rather decent size and is the only dungeon where the time-shift stones were used well. The boss was a joke though.

The Ancient Cistern is without a doubt the greatest dungeon in Skyward Sword and among the most well designed in franchise history. It was a division between the mundane and the fantastic with the latter underground part completely unexpected.

With the Ancient Cistern, Nintendo once again had the element of surprise on its side. Every previous water temple was just that-a dungeon filled to the brim with large amounts of water. This was true of the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time, Great Bay Temple in Majora’s Mask, and Lakebed Temple in Twilight Princess. The Ancient Cistern certainly changed things up with its underworld undead theme. While I had already previously spoiled myself via trailers, the sights and sounds were still equally fascinating and horrific to behold.

That being said, the lack of more water in the dungeon was also one of its shortcomings. Previous water dungeons revolved around challenging the player to think in new dimensions and truly push their brains to the limit. The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time, for example, was low on combat but earned its notorious reputation through its bamboozling water level altering puzzles.

The dungeon probably won't be remembered too fondly down the road but it certainly featured some interesting mechanics which I'd like to see in future installments.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Mine is also the Mining Facility. I found the puzzles to be refreshingly difficult after the relative ease of the first two dungeons. The music was lovely when in past time, it kind of reminded me of the spirit temple theme which is one of my favourite Zelda tunes. I also liked how the room would change colour from a bland and boring brown to a vibrant pallet of blues yellows and terracotta.

I'd say that Ancient cistern is my close second favourite though. I wrote a detailed and lengthly post about why I think it is good so I shall not post the reasons here.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My favorite dungeon is Sky Keep, because I love the puzzles behind it. It blends EVERYTHING amazing about Skyward Sword, and adds great music on top of that! I can't believe it even exists, but I'm happy for it! <3

Rare Addict

Site Staff
Definitely Ancient Cistern. Serving as both the Water Temple and the Shadow Temple of Skyward Sword, that dungeon just oozes atmosphere. Oh, and the fight against Koloktos -- talk about a "holy crap" moment!

I absolutely loved the Sky Keep and the Sandship! Really, the mining facility and the dungeons related to the Lanayru desert were my favorites. Ironically, Lanayru desert was my least favorite region, but the puzzles included in the Timeshift Stones and everything was so much fun! Why I like the SkyKeep Temple? ha, nothing is more fun than ruining the design and shifting the rooms around!!

Great dungeons:

Lanayru Mining Facility
Ancient Cistern
Sand Ship

Good dungeon:

Sky Keep

Average dungeons:

Skyview Temple
Earth Temple
Fire Sanctuary

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I really enjoy all the dungeons in Skyward Sword. I’m impressed with their overall design and atmosphere.

In terms of atmosphere, I’d have to say the Sandship. The pirate ship is a great dungeon theme. I love the bright outdoorsy atmosphere. I wish more dungeons in Zelda were like that one. Not to mention it had one of the coolest boss battles ever.

In terms of difficulty, my favorite is definitely the Lanayru Mining Facility. A great dungeon that stumped me quite a bit.

In terms of design, I’d have to give it to Skykeep. I’ve always loved dungeons with heavy emphasis on puzzles.

Overall, my favorite dungeon is probably the Sandship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom