• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
(I'm in the process of reviving a bit of discussion from the old World of Zelda stickies, so it might seem familiar, but feel free to post and share your views.)

While the Zelda series has always focused it's plot around three main characters - the hero, the Princess, and the villain - over the years though it has showcased a lot of unique and quirky characters that has given life to the world of Hyrule. So what are some of your favorites as well as least favorite characters and why?

キラ

Yo!
One of my most favorite characters was Grog.

tumblr_nfse7zPLNB1r7sijxo1_500.gif

This quote was really interesting to me. I thought that he was a bit creepy. But then later, I felt bad for him.

And then, when Link became an adult, Anju, Grog's sister, gives Link Grog's blue cucco Cojiro, who hasn't crowed since Grog left Kakariko Village. Link goes to find Grog in the Lost Woods to give him Cojiro. Cojiro crows when he finds Grog, and Grog is impressed that Link was able to tame it and says that only nice guys can tame it, so Link must be a nice guy.

Grog gives Link an Odd Mushroom and tell him to give it to Granny (which is either his mom or grandmother). Granny makes an Odd Potion out of it, but she says it won't work on monsters.

Nonetheless, Link goes back to the Lost Woods to give Grog the potion, but Grog isn't there anymore. Fado is standing where Grog was sitting, and Fado says that Grog got lost in the forest, died, and became a Stalfos. When Granny said that it wouldn't work on monsters, maybe she knew that this would happen somehow, since Grog turned into a Stalfos. Fado tells Link to give the potion back to Granny, and Granny gives him the Poacher's Saw that Grog left behind, which really belonged to Mutoh, who is his father.

It's a really said story and I feel bad for Grog. He never felt accepted, I think.

I don't really have a least favorite character. :)

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
This might be a little cliche, but Anju from MM is my favorite character, followed closely by Cremia and then Kafei.

I love everything about the sidequest between Kafei and Anju, and liked the spin of Cremia and Anju being friends. If you didn't help Anju, Cremia would take Anju into her home in hopes to protect her friend and sister. And I liked that if you started helping Anju, no matter what, she would stay to meet her love even if that meant dying in the process. And it was fun to get together with Kafei in his secret base of sorts, and getting to play a bit as a character other than Link was a treat.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
(I'm in the process of reviving a bit of discussion from the old World of Zelda stickies, so it might seem familiar, but feel free to post and share your views.)

While the Zelda series has always focused it's plot around three main characters - the hero, the Princess, and the villain - over the years though it has showcased a lot of unique and quirky characters that has given life to the world of Hyrule. So what are some of your favorites as well as least favorite characters and why?

Well Ganondorf is my absolute favourite character in video games so he is definitely my favourite Zelda character. I like that he always has such a massive presence on screen, when he is in a cut scene you can sense this is the ultimate villain. He speaks with utter confidence and never gives up and I just love the way he looks, he is a hulking man with fiery red hair and sunken yellow eyes. This is how the ultimate evil should look.

My second favourite is Ghirahim, he is everything Ganondorf isn't whilst still being a villain. He is flamboyant and has a much more teasing and up close relationship with the protagonist. I just find him and his mannerisms hilarious. He is the perfect non Ganondorf villain for the series because he is so nothing like Ganondorf. I just consider the other main villains wannabe's who would have been better if they had been replaced with Ganon. Ghirahim though I thoroughly enjoyed.

My third favourite is another antagonist and villain...Tingle. I think his evil nature goes over younger players heads. His over friendly tone and childlike dress sense are only a distraction to take the eye away from the fact that tingle is a fat greedy extortionist who enslaved his own brothers and forced them to labour for 24 hours a day every day. I just love such an evil character exists in one of the more kid friendly Zeldas.

My fourth favourite is Zant. He presents himself as cool and collected, but is really a headbanging nutcase. I found him to be a very good secondary villain and he is absolutely hilarious in HW. His scream when you upset him cracks me up.

My fifth favourite is Midna. Unlike many who found her to be a bit of a ***** at the beginning, I always liked her and thought she was not a mean spirited person/imp but was hiding a secret. I love how she opens up throughout TP becoming affectionate towards link. I was sad to see her go, that's for sure

Other favourites are:
Happy mask salesman
Groose
Grog
Guru Guru
Darunia

One of my most favorite characters was Grog.

tumblr_nfse7zPLNB1r7sijxo1_500.gif

This quote was really interesting to me. I thought that he was a bit creepy. But then later, I felt bad for him.

Haha yes! Grog was funny, I love that part in the cap :) People really ARE disgusting! LOL!

Call me crazy, but I never really enjoyed Tingle. He kind of annoyed me. I was so happy that he wasn't in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Like Ghost, I also always loved Grog. Maybe it was my morbid sense of humour, I don't know, but I found him funny even if he was kind of a sad character.

My favourite character however of all the games is Saria. I wanted to be her when I was a kid, wanting to run around the forest playing my ocarina and later have an important role in saving the world. That seemed cool. I also love that she always remained innocent even though she was perceived as wise for a child and was Link's friend forever, no matter what.

My least favourite character, to quote a cliche, is Tingle. Never saw the point in him, irritating little thing. Majora's Mask was made that much more of a headache due to having to buy maps from him and having to talk to him and every time having to listen to his stupid magic words thing every time. Ugh.

Like Ghost, I also always loved Grog. Maybe it was my morbid sense of humour, I don't know, but I found him funny even if he was kind of a sad character.

My favourite character however of all the games is Saria. I wanted to be her when I was a kid, wanting to run around the forest playing my ocarina and later have an important role in saving the world. That seemed cool. I also love that she always remained innocent even though she was perceived as wise for a child and was Link's friend forever, no matter what.

My least favourite character, to quote a cliche, is Tingle. Never saw the point in him, irritating little thing. Majora's Mask was made that much more of a headache due to having to buy maps from him and having to talk to him and every time having to listen to his stupid magic words thing every time. Ugh.

Yes, agreed. Why I disliked Tingle. It was just irritating that you HAD to talk to him every time and sometimes it was kind of pointless even if you knew where you had to go, you still needed to talk to him.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My least favourite character is really easy: Ilia.

It was cute how Link and Ilia were sort of somewhat romantic, but I hated Ilia for many reasons.

1: She cared more about Link's horse than she did about Link. "Ya Link, you're gonna go fight evil and probs get killed and stuff, but OMG YOUR HORSE HAS A SCRATCH IN HER LEG YOU TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PERSON!!!!! Then she goes and steals Epona when Link really needed her, for the second time, thus delaying Link's delivery of the gift to Hyrule and giving Ordon a bad name.

2: She got captured. I know she couldn't help getting captured, but perhaps she would have been OK if she hadn't been in the Spirit's Spring with Epona. So it's indirectly her fault. And of course she has to get separated from the rest, thus forcing Link to go out of his way to rescue her.

3: She gave Link a stupid piece of grass after he spent hours of his time risking his life for her. First, he transports her to Kakariko Village, scaling enemy infested fields in the process. Then, he goes on a very lengthy quest to recover her memory. She then very briefly thanks him and gives him a piece of grass... which of course is for Epona.

4: She's way too bossy. I can tolerate it to a degree, but I just cringed every time I had to talk to her in the game. Ugh. Hate that *****.

My favourite character is a lot harder to determine, since I like so many of the characters.

A few that come to mind include:

Tingle: Call me crazy if you want, but I've always enjoyed Tingle. I always like the childish character in games, as I feel they add flavour, and Tingle's over-obsession with maps and rupees is just hilarious to me. Plus, I'm fairly sure he has something to hide, and I do enjoy characters with a bit of mystery.

Midna: I know a lot of people dislike her because she's rude, arrogant, sarcastic, and unhelpful. That's why I actually liked her, though. She's a cursed princess trying to reclaim her homeland. It's generic, but it was handled well. And I really love how she gradually warmed up to Link throughout the game and got a lot more helpful and likeable.

Ezlo: Like Midna, Ezlo is kind of snarkish, sarcastic, and somewhat unhelpful. But I love him. I love his personality because it's so much like mine, and he's just darn cute as a button!

Ghirahim: What can I say about Ghirahim other than he's crazy. He's ruthless, bloodthirsty, and wants to destroy everything in sight, all as part of the process of resurrecting an Ancient enemy people feared above all else. He's a fantastic villain, very engaging, and I love him.

Zant: Same reasons as Ghirahim.

Happy Mask Salesman: Definitely one of the more intriguing characters in the series. He's very mysterious, and I like that about him.

Groose: Ah Groose, whatever would we do without you.

There are more, but these characters stand out to me above all others.

Reactions: Dio
Midna's definitely my favorite Zelda character. Sure she was pretty mean at the beginning, but at least she grows much nicer while progressing through the game. She was a pretty interesting character, too. Second mention goes to the King of Red Lions. I always thought Link's friendship with a king was pretty adorable throughout the game. <3

For my least favorite, it'll be Fi. God, I hated her so much. She was like Navi, but without no likeability and personality to her. I used to hate Navi, but I've grown to like her over the past year. Fi was far worse due to her constantly stopping you every time you took a step. Stop helping me already!

Sheik

:the:
A list of my favorite characters in the series, in no particular order.

Ghost (LA) -
My favorite character from Link's Awakening. He has no connection at all to the main plot, and I'm pretty sure he's only in the game to put space between Angler's Tunnel and Catfish's Maw. That doesn't make him a bad character, though. He's a simple spirit who wants to be put to rest. When I played LA, I actually felt a bit sad when I left him at his grave. You're given sufficient time with him that gives your separation from him a sense of humble poignancy. For being a cartoonish ghost, he really does evoke my emotions.

Marin (LA) - Marin is one of the more fleshed-out characters in Zelda, and I think her relationship with Link is one of the best in the series. It's playful, but also very meaningful. My favorite part of LA is when Marin is talking to Link on the beach about how she wonders what exists beyond the island, how she wants to fly away from the island and discover new lands, and how part of the reason she adores Link is because she thinks he's a sign that a world does exist away from Koholint. Her dialogue is very important to the mystery of Koholint Island, but most importantly, she's a really likeable character.

Skull Kid (MM) - A character that feels misunderstood, disliked, and yet in the end, finds out that the people around him really do care about him deeply. This... gives me hope.

Skull Keeta (MM) - "And convey my words to my men, who, even in death, remain loyal to me. Tell them the war has ended..."

The commander of the Ikana Army, and probably the most matured character in the series. He's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from... Tingle. After suffering a shameful loss in war, he declares that the war shall no longer be fought. He doesn't seek revenge, but only peace. I think this corresponds very well to the comparison of Termina to the Five Stages of Grief, where Ikana represents acceptance.

Lenzo (WW) - I just think it's really funny that he was in a relationship with Link's grandma, lol.

Prince Ralis (TP) - In my opinion, Twilight Princess has some of the most developed and realistic characters in the series, and Prince Ralis is one of those characters. He's one of the few characters in the series to be stricken with real depression and self despair. After losing his mother, and having to face the responsibility of ruling the Zoras, he hides with the thought that he isn't fit to rule them, and that he isn't the perfect son his mother wanted. However, he later decides that Link is a paragon of what his mother wanted, and he gives him the Coral Earring to help him in his quest. He's definitely one of the most realistic and human-like characters in the series.

Impa (SS) - My absolute favorite reincarnation of Impa. She's so... sharp, and bitter, and she gives no ****s about Link's feelings. At the end of the Earth Temple, when Link is just about to reunite with Zelda, she stops him and tells him that he was late, and that he isn't worthy of being called a hero, or being with Zelda. Like, goddamn, that's harsh. After that occurrence, you see Link seething with anger, and I was seething with him. No character in Zelda has ever made me feel more insulted. Like, wow. This one cutscene alone is the main reason I like her so much. She's also really awesome when she's fighting Ghirahim at the Gate of Time.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm not really sure if I can choose a favorite character. Marin is a strong contender, as are SS Zelda and ST Zelda. I like Byrne a lot, too. I don't really think I can pick, though.

My least favorite character, on the other hand, is an easy choice. I despise Midna. She's a manipulative prick from the moment you meet her and she's only nice to you because you save her life. Terribly-done character.

Matthew Srolis

Just a Deku Scrub
-Favorite:
my favorite Zelda is Yuga.He makes you want to hate him and has a creepy joker vibe going on.He really helped introduce the painting mechanic
-Least favorite
Navi for obvious reasons

Cremia is probably my favorite. She appears to be really smart in that she deduces the Moon is going to fall on the Second Day. And her response by letting Romani sleep with her on the Final Night is really emotional and sad.
I also really like Sakon and I have no clue why. He's just a classic character.
My least favorite is probably Mamamu Yan, the Ocarina of Time version. Man. What a jerk lady.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Favorite characters:

-Link so I have someone to fangirl over that isn't evil.

-Ghirahim because he's awesome and like the best freaking villain ever. (We need more psycho villains)

-Vaati because I said so. He IS sort of cliche and pretty much like a Disney villain, but at least the design is pretty cool. I obsessed over this guy when I was like nine, so I couldn't keep him off the list.

-Saria because she's awesome. (and cooler than most of the other girls in the games) Also because she was actually Link's friend, did a way better job at being a friend than Ilia. By the way, she's one of the FEW girls in all of Zelda that doesn't become some kind of damsel in distress at some point. Also, she literally went into the Forest Temple BY HER SELF, and with the mind of a kid? I think that's a huge accomplishment. DEAR HYRULE WARRIORS...

-Midna is easily the best companion in Zelda in terms of actual interaction.

-I think I'm just going to sneak Ravio on here for being cool.

Least Favorite Characters:

ILIA. If you're going to try to give Link an actual love interest, please make her not be an obnoxious bleh. If you feel like you're wasting your time saving her, the creators are doing it wrong.

Zelda, from Ocarina of Time specifically. Ugh. Actually, I'll be honest: I don't LOVE most of Zelda's incarnations. Even as Sheik, it's still a character I don't like very much pretending to be awesome. But don't get me wrong. Zelda can be awesome sometimes. I just wish she didn't seem like one of those generic damsels in distress half the time. The only reasons I don't completely hate her is probably because of Super Smash Bros, and also Spirit Tracks. She always just seems like this soulless... thing. And even in Skyward Sword, when she does have a more noticeable personality, she must not be that attached to Link if she's just going to listen to Impa when she's told that she's not allowed to approach or even TALK TO her best friend ever. Zelda was only cool in the beginning of Skyward Sword. But you're probably going to be all like "Oh, but what about when she's Sheik?" in which I would respond, yes, she became a ninja, but she still didn't do anything actually helpful. But she's not nearly one of those characters that I look at and go like "UGH". She's pretty cool. But... personality-wise, no thanks.

I never liked Impa, either. I know they made her a badass, but she's kind of a jerk. But back in the olden days, before they changed her... UGH.

Your boat companion in Wind Waker. I kind of like actual companions more.

Link: HI BOAT! I made it back!
King (nicknamed by me): Good job, Link!
Background NPC: Is that kid talking to a boat?
Background NPC 2: I think so…

There are lots of annoying characters in Zelda, but in all honesty, while I say I hate them, it's only because they have tendencies to be annoying. The annoying characters are actually funnier sometimes than the serious ones with boring personalities are the ones that are actually annoying.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
King of Red Lions. He is my absolute favorite companion in the whole series and I absolutely love the way he acts. He is very noble and guiding to Link, and just seems like a great guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom