• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Changes to the Zelda Formula

Majora's Cat

How about that
The title is pretty self-explanatory unless you absolutely refuse to read it. Basically, Zelda has changed a lot over the last twenty-six years, that much is obvious, and every Zelda game introduces things we haven't yet seen. Ocarina of Time brought the franchise into the glorious third dimension, A Link to the Past introduced the Master Sword, Four Swords toyed around with multiplayer, Twilight Princess experimented with motion controls and Skyward Sword refined it, added a Stamina Meter and made the main quest arguably more lineary than past titles'.

On the other hand, Zelda has had what some would call "missteps" and polarizing decisions. While not necessarily bad, Wind Waker's sailing has gotten a lot of attention from fans from those who defend it and those who criticize it. The Zelda team's risk with Adventure of Link's side-scrolling faced an equal or greater amount of controversy. Twilight Princess' Twilight and Wolf Link segments have also fallen under a fair amount of scrutiny and backlash as well as praise.

Ultimately the question is this: what are your favorite innovations, changes and new implementations from different installments? And which are your least favorite?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I have to say that the jump into 3D was obviously a positive game changer in OoT, Gave a new perspective/experience to the Zelda games but was still the same type of game, while at the same time so different. Then another thing which they introduced (but took away) is the time pressure they put on you in MM. It was very interesting gameplay for me, I really liked how the characters did different things during each day and everything felt so hectic, I only had three days to save the world in a way. So I would love for Nintendo to make a similar mechanic in future games where you have a time pattern and characters in detail, They do different things during each day and you can change the outcome of things by messing with things during each day, giving you different endings?

My least favorite things however have to be the motion controls. I've never liked the idea of pointing at the screen with a remote and doing bunch of movements and "being" the hero. If anything it ruins the immersion for me, It just doesn't feel real to me and a bit ridiculous. If they really want to make it "feel" like an adventure then they should include a helmet inside the box where it puts you inside a virtual world where everything "feels" real and you can't tell a difference between reality and game. We wouldn't even need Link anymore, We would be the heroes ourselves. So to put it shortly, It just doesn't feel real or like Zelda to me when playing with motion controls, I'd rather just have an old school controller and an option to play with that instead of having no other choice but to play with motion controls in the next installment.

MW7

My least favorite change is definitely the gradual change from letting players do things in different orders to setting a strict path for the player to follow. The series seemed to hit the relative extremes of this with Legend of Zelda and Twilight Princess, and personally I wish the majority of the games in the series were more like ALTTP which is more like Legend of Zelda but with some boundaries.

My favorite change over the course of the series is the increasing variety of puzzles. For instance in Legend of Zelda there were some vague riddles and random block pushing and that's most of the puzzles right there. Over the years more and more creative environmental puzzles have been included. However one thing that really sticks out to me is how the series is broadening their definition of puzzles. For instance Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks both had logic puzzles, and I really appreciated their inclusion.

My least favorite change is definitely the gradual change from letting players do things in different orders to setting a strict path for the player to follow. The series seemed to hit the relative extremes of this with Legend of Zelda and Twilight Princess, and personally I wish the majority of the games in the series were more like ALTTP which is more like Legend of Zelda but with some boundaries.

My favorite change over the course of the series is the increasing variety of puzzles. For instance in Legend of Zelda there were some vague riddles and random block pushing and that's most of the puzzles right there. Over the years more and more creative environmental puzzles have been included. However one thing that really sticks out to me is how the series is broadening their definition of puzzles. For instance Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks both had logic puzzles, and I really appreciated their inclusion.

I agree with this for the most part. I will say, that while I am a big advocate of a "back to their roots" Zelda adventure where we can defeat dungeons in any order, for the most part the biggest issue to me is the lack of exploration that comes with the linearity. I don't mind if we have to beat some dungeons in a certain order, as long as I am not confined to a tiny part of the map for several hours. TP was the worst when it came to this. Early on in the game it forced you to stay in small regions, you opened up new ones at a snail's pace. When the entire map did open up, I was so sick of having to spend countless hours back there anyways it was pointless.

One aspect of Zelda I continue to love is memorable and unique characters. Going to other adventure series that is one thing I find I miss the most. Not that other games have bad characters but rather that Zelda has by far the strangest and most memorable. From Tingle to Scrapper the series continues to create these characters. I love going out and exploring and knowing I am going to find some strange new individual who will provide awesome and funny memories for me.

I seriously dont think Zelda has changed that much since OoT as far as the home console games go but...

Dash meter (even though its usage could be improved upon)

Dislikes
Tendency to implement compulsory travel systems
Motion/touch control
repetitive elements within narratives and plots

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

Pretty much this. Linearity can work well in Zelda so long as the overworld is open for exploration, but linearity in both story and gameplay isn't something with the series' best interest. I'd like to say the Wii MotionPlus is my favorite addition, but without a good variety of puzzles, Zelda just isn't Zelda. Skyward Sword did the puzzle variety very well, of course, but the point still remains.

My favorite changes are probably the step into 3D (of course), the heightened emphasis on mini-games, and the more customizable function of Link. 3D gaming in Zelda introduced a world of new possibilities, from beautiful landscapes to more intense combat to improved item control. I do wish they'd slow down and make another 2D game every once in awhile, but the transition to 3D was definitely a turning point for the better, if at least for the concepts it could bring; some may view it as the start of Zelda's downfall, but you can't really say 3D was bad in and of itself without being highly biased.

One thing I have against most JRPGs is how impersonal the world usually feels; you run around, kill enemies, and witness cutscenes. That's usually the bulk of the game, and there's little difference or flair to each to make those categories stand on their own too much. The Legend of Zelda, while not a typical RPG, does well by including numerous mediums of entertainment outside of running, killing, and cutscenes. Want to try your hand at archery? What about horseback archery? Then you've got fishing, skydiving (at least I liked Dodoh's High Dive...), racing as a rolling ball, racing on a horse, racing on foot (or trying to beat some cheating running man, anyway), a Battleship-wannabe, tactically launching cannonballs into barrels, and the famous Money Making Game. These are just a handful of the available mini-games throughout the Zelda series, and the higher emphasis on them is something that should both be continued in Zelda and imitated by other franchises.

Link is supposed to be a "link" to the player, so enhanced customization is a bonus. Link's Awakening DX gave you the optional choice of a Red or Blue Tunic that would increase your offense or defense respectively. The Minish Cap supposedly features rings to provide Link with different bonuses (I'll play it one of these days, give it time....). Skyward Sword was an even larger step in the right direction with nearly everything upgradeable and numerous Medals to affect gameplay. This should be continued, especially with heightened resource management and Medals/Rings that subtly change the way the game is played.

Some of my least favorite changes are increased linearity in dungeon order, enemies being treated like puzzles or simple cannon fodder (or both), and a general lack of post-game content/upped difficulty levels. Zelda is meant to be a big adventure through the wilderness, finding the way on your own - as Captain Barbossa says in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, "For certain, you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found." I'm not necessarily saying every Zelda game should be like this, though the series probably wouldn't suffer much if such was the case, but it's something that should be brought back frequently. I have an entire article written up on how such a feature could work in contemporary Zelda, and it's more than possible. Zelda has now been reduced to combat and puzzles, which were originally supplemental to exploration, not independent from it.

Most Zelda players acknowledge that enemies have been lacking recently, and it's because they're usually being treated as either puzzles or cannon fodder. Puzzle enemies become redundant (they'll be ruined or destroyed!) when you know the answer to the issue they present, meaning they quickly lose their luster. Cannon fodder enemies were prevalent in Twilight Princess. You know what I'm talking about; the hordes of Bokoblins or Lizalfos that just hang around you doing almost nothing, waiting to be killed en masse. Combat in old 2D Zelda games was incredibly simple, yet also very deep. Torrents of enemy projectiles could be dodged with clever sidestepping, and some foes required hitting at an angle to damage. They were aggressive and cunning. Now it's usually "Hit the enemy where it's not currently guarding before it retaliates ten seconds from now!" Not terribly challenging. Novel, I'll give it that, but lackluster after awhile.

Older Zelda games also featured post-game content, usually in the form of the same game, only harder and swapped around. This was a staple of a lot of older games, and it's something simple that modern Zelda games would benefit from. Hero Mode in Skyward Sword was a great step in the right direction, but it's one of the first true post-game challenges in Zelda for years. I'm talking about increased enemy attack, health (possibly), presence, intelligence, color/costume swaps, and other fun gimmicks. Most Zelda games these days end for good at the final boss, which isn't terribly useful for an action RPG.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Good
-Dual Overworlds. The most prominent ones as far as I can tell are the Light/Dark worlds featured in A Link to the Past as well as the very distinct Child/Adult portions of Ocarina of Time. The concept of dual overworlds is very polarizing in and of itself; where you have peace and prosperity in one overworld, you're likely to find quite the opposite in the other. Dual overworlds have brought many a great change to the formula, most notably a fairer juxtaposition between enemy types and overall difficulty. Recent Zeldas have forgone the concept in order to try out new ideas, but to me the concept is still great.

-Jump to 3D. I have no qualms with the 2D Zelda games (except PH and ST but for different reasons), but the jump to 3D with Ocarina of Time was a great stride for the series in my opinion. I know many people who prefer the 2D games because they are generally harder, and I don't disagree with them, but almost every 3D game thus far has offered this captivating feeling all around its design for me, that I just want to keep going to it.

The Bad
-Linearity. Linearity has really marred the series image for me. Whether its linearity in the overworld or linearity in dungeon order, I dislike it all. I am not the kind of guy who thinks linearity is necessary for a great story; in fact every proficient writer will tell you that this is not the case. With different styles come different end results, not one is necessarily better than the other. However, for me, the much preferred style is nonlinear. I like being able to vary up my runs, but I can't do this in recent Zelda games because they are all essentially straight lines with no ground for deviation.

That's about it for me. Every other formula change isn't really severe for me (or maybe I just can't think of it)!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Uhhhh...while I hated sailing and loved the wolf, I fail to see what those have to do with the actual formula. Seems more fitting to be a part of gameplay than the formula itself.

The changes I liked are the introduction to 3D, the Dual World theme and, most of all, the linearity. The linearity has really improved the quality of Zelda games since OoT started becoming more linear than the others. It's given the series a better chance at story, has allowed them to make better use of their items, set better and more creative puzzles, and give us appropriate as we advance on.

The main change I didn't like was the Sidequests>Main Quest formula Majora's Mask started. It's not a full part of the series formula, but rather alternates with our normal formula, appearing in games like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom