• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Generation

Favorite Pokemon Generation?

• Generation I (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation II (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

• Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

• Generation IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

• Generation V (Black/White/Black2/White2)

• Generation VI (X/Y)

• Total voters

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Ok here's how it went for me...

Gen I - Great, innovative, an awesome new series of games
Gen II - Just improved on Gen I, everything was just better
Gen III - EVEN better, great games, graphics improved insanely, good story, greatness
Gen IV - Perfection. Physical and Special got split up. The battle system was flawless. The story and depth was phenominal. I have to say these games were masterpieces.
Gen V - Well... they weren't bad, but just not quite the achievement of Gen IV, but it wasn't bad! Just like Dark Knight Rises wasn't as good as Dark Knight, ya know?
Gen VI - In my opinion, a disgrace, they sucked, I hated them. I was HARSHLY disappointed. Here are my reasons... I honestly hated what they did with the Exp Share. I had a Fletchinder that I never used in a battle once, cause I was trying to raise my Eevee at the same time, and my Fletchling evolved, and then Fletchinder came and went. I never got attached to my pals, and I know that sounds... strange... but honestly I like getting attached to my team. And I didn't get that feeling, cause I never played with some, and just got sick of the others. I also think they really should've made you able to turn the roller skates off... but that's just a little thing I guess. And also the camera. I think they were WAY too ambitious with the 3D. They should've been smart. It's like they said "Oh we can make 3D, LET'S MAKE IT AS MUCH AS WE CAN!" No, in Gen II, they didn't go all balls to the wall because they could finally use color. No, they stayed logical. The camera was so buggy in X and Y, especially in Lumiose City. It made for overall annoying, difficult, and uncomfortable gameplay. And also... I played the whole game, and I honestly still have no idea what Lysandre wanted to do. I know Pokemon games aren't about the story, but I mean seriously? Team Flare sucked, they showed up like every 2 gyms, but all they did was have like 2 trainers that didn't say anything but "Our clothes are cool" and then run away. And then all the sudden you're saving the world and there's a legendary involved and when did Lysandre get bad, I thought Sycamore liked him, and??? It was all just very poorly executed in my opinion. Also there was a total lack of depth in the cities and characters. Overall, I think they messed up the same way they did with Skyward Sword. They focused SO much on the 3D, and ended up screwing everything else up because of their lack of attention and time spent on it, and then the aspect they SPENT time on ended up being bad anyways. Just make the game without focusing on one little gimmick that would turn out perfect if you just let it happen, instead of making it so... annoying.

So I voted for Gen IV. Cause it was the best

First of all: You can turn the exp share off
Second of all: use the D-pad to not use the roller-skates
Third of all: Are you complaining about the 3D environment or the camera positions? I'll agree there were issues, but nothing that ruined the entire game
Fourth of all: Team Flare did kind of suck, but it let me focus on my own journey in the game than worry about some annoying people fighting me every few steps
Fifth of all: I think you are confusing "gimmick" with "much needed enhancement", I understand there were some issues, but overall it was the best looking Pokemon game yet :yes:

Last edited:

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, even though I started on Crystal, the Gen III games with always have a special place in my heart. <3

....even though X and Y are FREAKING ADDICTIVE AND BY FAR THE BEST ADDITION IN THE SERIES!!! *acting a little obsessed* :blank: -twitchtwitch-
Okay, not really xD
But yeah, I'm really liking X and Y. It has so many cool features that have started to sway me over. BUT! No Gen can surpass the way I felt (and still feel) about Gen III.
I REALLY WISH THEY WOULD REMAKE IT o:<

You have no idea how many times I went through the story of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
I played them so much that my internal battery has run dry in all three games. :sad:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Oh wow I could have sworn I had responded to this thread at some point before. Guess not.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume they're strictly talking about the Pokemon designs themselves, rather than the games as a whole (because I've already answered that question in the other thread). At least that's how I'm choosing to answer this question :P

Taken on their design concepts I like Gens I, III, and VI best.

Gen I has the OG status, and I think overall they have the most solid designs of the bunch. What a great way to start off a franchise. Not too over-the-top, not too abstract of concepts either, just solid designs (even if a few are somewhat lazy).

Gen III builds on this design philosophy and expands what Pokemon can look like without getting too ludicrous (I'm looking at you, Gen V!). They've got a lot of wild designs (just look at Mawile's wicked mouth!), but at the same time they aren't so far gone as to be unrecognizable as living creatures.

Gen VI seems to emulate Gen III and I's designs strategies and reeling them back in after IV and V started going off the deep end. Only the Fairies seem to suffer from poor design overall, while the rest are pretty freaking awesome in my book. I also think it's a testament to I and III's superior designs that the majority of the Mega Evolutions are from Kanto and Hoenn [though I still think Mega Ampharos and Mega Lucario are pretty rad as well).

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, even though I started on Crystal, the Gen III games with always have a special place in my heart. <3

....even though X and Y are FREAKING ADDICTIVE AND BY FAR THE BEST ADDITION IN THE SERIES!!! *acting a little obsessed* :blank: -twitchtwitch-
Okay, not really xD
But yeah, I'm really liking X and Y. It has so many cool features that have started to sway me over. BUT! No Gen can surpass the way I felt (and still feel) about Gen III.
I REALLY WISH THEY WOULD REMAKE IT o:<

You have no idea how many times I went through the story of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
I played them so much that my internal battery has run dry in all three games. :sad:
Well, This post is old, and I must restate my favorite. Even though I might have said no gen can take its place, I was wrong! xD

My current favorite game/Gen, is X/Y.
I'll probably Favorite Omega/Alpha once I play them... but as of this moment, I know nothing about either, so I can't say for sure.

First of all: You can turn the exp share off
Second of all: use the D-pad to not use the roller-skates
Third of all: Are you complaining about the 3D environment or the camera positions? I'll agree there were issues, but nothing that ruined the entire game
Fourth of all: Team Flare did kind of suck, but it let me focus on my own journey in the game than worry about some annoying people fighting me every few steps
Fifth of all: I think you are confusing "gimmick" with "much needed enhancement", I understand there were some issues, but overall it was the best looking Pokemon game yet :yes:

Yes. Agreed!
But I also agree with 43ForceGems on the Camera in Lumiose City.
I don't like how I don't know exactly where I'm going... I think I had a similar problem with that big town in Black/White... (forget its name)
Aside from the annoying Lumiose City perspective, I can't find anything else really wrong with X/Y.
I love the little features, and now that I actually have played it all the way through, I can honestly say it's my favorite so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14134

Emerald was the first pokemon game I really got into (I had previously played yellow and silver). My vote goes to gen 3 for successfully capturing me into the pokemon world.

X/Y was alright, I found that through the single player campaign the experience share made the game far too easy. Disabling it meant I needed to grind. I think I'll eventually Nuzlocke this one without experience share on.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I added Generation VI (X/Y) to the poll as well as updated Generation V to take into account Black 2 & White 2.

My answer is Generation 1. They were the ones that started the whole shebang, and wow did they do a good job of enthralling my generation! As a whole I think their designs are the most solid out of everyone's, though I also really like Gens 3 and 6 for their designs.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
...How did I never notice this thread?

It looks like I am in the minority here, but I loved Generation IV. At first, I had mixed mixed feelings toward Diamond and Pearl. There was a significant lack of variety in the Pokemon available to you. The Fire-types in particular really suffered from that. Infernape was only available as a starter, Rapidash was an okay Pokemon, and Flareon does not have anything but Flash Fire on its side. I felt incredibly limited throughout both of the games. Gameplay is the franchise's most vital aspect and D/P just could not offer the best experience.

When Platinum came around, I felt better about how the game played. Dozens of Pokemon were added to the pre-game. There were several instances where the new evos had no way of being obtained until after you beat the games, and Platinum mended that error. The addition of Giratina added more to the lore. My memory says that the graphics were better, but I cannot seem to recollect how at the moment. The Elite 4 was substantially weakened, which made monotonous grinding or X-item abuse less relevant, though I could see how some could have been upset over the decrease difficulty levels. I also have tons of nostalgia with my Platinum teams and that just makes it all the more better.

Blackkirby

Proud Jesus Freak !
idk I like all of them... but my favorite for some odd reason is X Y I like how it has pokemon (I think) from all generations and I like the way it looked. I sorta like the mysteries like the ghost girl and that souvenir (HOEENNN CONFIRMED HEHEH).
The only thing I liked but also dis liked was how they made shiny pokemon easier to get (friend safari and chain fishing). I like it because who doesn't like a good shiny but I also dislike it because it takes away some of the hard work for getting a shiny. My second favorite is probably 1st gen because of nostalgia I played it a lot when I was a kid and like the old feel of the game and how it makes me feel warm inside. Now that I said all this I think 1st and 6th are probably a tie. When the hoenn remake comes out I might change my mind.

Had to think about it a while, but I think I like Gen II a bit more than Gen I.

Of course I can't claim any objectivity to this, as Pokemon is perhaps more nostalgic and emotionally-charged for me than any other video game series ever. So naturally my favorite generations are the ones I remember having the most fun with, so it doesn't apply to anything else from a gameplay, story, or just straight up mechanic-based standpoint. I'd have to think a lot more about which one I think is objectively the best from a design point of view or whatever.

Generation I was the first for me, specifically Yellow version. At least that's the first one I remember every actually owning for myself, as I had played with other people's copies before. There's a lot to be said about going through a Pokemon game with child-like wonder, and it's definitely one of the more memorable experiences I've ever had in gaming. Just the sense that there was always something new in that next patch of grass, or that next town was enough to get me completely addicted to it on top of watching the anime as a kid and kind of collecting the cards except not really (didn't have much money then, and the expenses for the cards racks up pretty quick). I would honestly consider naming Gen I my favorite just for the fact that it's been a constant throughout most of my life, and something that I look back on with great fondness. Of course, I wasn't very social with Gen I, mainly because I lacked a link cable, and I was still a little too young to fully take advantage of playing with other people.

Gen II is ultimately my favorite just because of the great times I had with my little brother with it. It was around that time that he really got into Pokemon too, and having a "best friend" to play through with and talk about constantly made the entire thing just that more memorable. Plus I still to this day think that Gen II kept the childish charm of Gen I, and made it better in just about every way. 3D models in X and Y are great, and that of course is where Pokemon had to ultimately go, but there's just something very whimsical and appealing in a creatively rendered 2D sprite to me. But with all that aside, it was just a blast to be able to talk strategy with my little brother about how to beat gyms, where to get a cool-looking Pokemon, and how to beat the Elite Four and Champion. My brother doesn't play Pokemon anymore (he's not into video games as a whole these days), but some of my fondest memories growing up with him were with Generation II.

Last edited:

octorok74

TETTAC
Generation One. Mainly cause I know and can recognize pretty much all of the pokemon. And I've just invested the most time in that generation.

Wilton

Hello world!
The third generation is Wilton's absolute favorite! There were two evil teams, so that was cool, and the graphics and sound quality made a large step from generation two. But the absolute best thing about generation three is that it introduced Makuhita! :)

Anyway, Wilton played so much Sapphire and Emerald way back, and playing Alpha Sapphire now is just wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom