• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Generation

Favorite Pokemon Generation?

• Generation I (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation II (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

• Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)

• Generation IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

• Generation V (Black/White/Black2/White2)

• Generation VI (X/Y)

• Total voters

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
Which is your favorite generation of the games series? Why is that? The Pokemon available? The story? The foes?

I will always have a personal soft spot for the first generation as Blue was my pioneer title in the series and started it all off; discovering the Pokemon there for the first time was fantastic!

Last edited:
Favorite Pokemon Generation

For me, my favorite is generation two. The Pokemon are awesome, and Gold is my favorite Pokemon game, because you get two regions! I've logged countless hours into Gold and HeartGold, and that number is still increasing. After Gold, but mostly after Ruby/Sapphire, the Pokemon started to get ugly and uncreative, and I feel thatGold and Silver were the peak of Pokemon perfection.

Last edited:
I have to say the 2 generation is my favorite because I like the 2nd gen pokemon and it has one NCP that is quite a challenge even when using lv 100s. Go Red!

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I hav to say the second generation and the remakes are my favourites. I'm a little biased I guess as Gold was my first pokemon game, but I just became so attached to it. I still love generation one, but not as much. Generation 3, I barely played. Gen. 4 is alright, better than I thought, but still not as good in my mind. Gen. 5 I can't seem to get into - having the game for a few months, and not even being at the 3rd gym.
Sure, the having of two regions is a huge reason why I like gen 2 so much, but it's not the only reason. Those pokemon are amongst my favourite in the series, the music IS my favourite from the series, and I love the connections it has with the first generation.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I don't think I have a certain favourite, I can barely remember my very first game. But I do actually enjoy the recent games. I prefer generation IV to V at the moment but I think those games where what totally and utterly got me into Pokemon. I played the earlier games as a kid but then had a bit of a gap where I did not play Pokemon much at all. Then Diamond got me back into it.

I think Black and White are just a little bit too advanced in a way that makes me favour generation IV. I think the game that gets you into it is the one you usually remember and prefer. I'd probably say IV then.

My favorite Pokemon are for sure the first generation, but when it comes to judging the generation based on the game series how can any one be better then the second gen. You get two regions, Johto being the most beautiful and imaginitive, there is a good story and 16 badges!! why did they go back to 8?!? With the remake on the DS I think it's easy to call them the best pokemon games. I'm also not a fan of pokemon contests and musicals. III gen games i find the weakest and IV gen second best.

Last edited:

Kazumi

chagy
My favourite Generation was Gen III. LeafGreen and Emerald were the two games that really got me into Pokemon, so that's probably a good part of why I like this Gen so much, but that's not all.

Gen III and an amazing world, Hoenn. It had many very interesting cities and locales, and was very fun to explore. The world was bursting with content, from the Contests to the Battle Frontier. It had many other fun feature such as all of the event locations and Secret Bases. I specifically enjoyed Secret Bases, as for me they added tons of re-playability to the game. I loved collecting rare furniture and designing my base.

In addition to the world, the Pokemon of Gen III were also quite good. Some of my favourite Pokemon come for Gen III, such as Keckleon, Tropias, and of course Mudkip. Gen III also had many legendaries to catch. Not only did it have Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre, but it also had the three Regis, Latios and Latias, as well as event Pokemon such as Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Jirachi, and Deoxys. You could even get a Johto starter by completing the Pokedex (in Emerald).

Gen III also introduced many of the exciting features that are now a staple of Pokemon. These include Contests, the Battle Frontier, gauntlet-style battle challenges and more enhanced multi-player. These are some of the reasons why Gen III is my favourite Generation.

Kybyrian

I'm just gonna copy/paste my reasons from the favorite game thread, since Black/White are the only Generation V games anyway.

I'm going to try to duck under all of the nostalgia fanboys here, but I will say that I used to side with you guys. It used to be my opinion that the first few games were always the best because they established the series and gave us the best set of Pokemon and Gym Leaders ever. I'd be lying if I said I thought everything in it was the best, now, however.

I absolutely love the new things introduced to us in the Fifth Generation. The items are suited for competitiveness and they even have all of the old ones - minus the uninteresting berries - there for us to utilize. The new Pokemon may seem unoriginal to you, but Pokemon names were never really original. I'd say that Krabby is about as unique as Tepig. You can grab unoriginal examples from every game. You can't deny that Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon are absolutely amazing and unique names. They all go by the pattern of the German numbers, eins, zwei, drei, one, two, and three respectively. Don't argue on the subject of originality, it's basically a moot point.

The games themselves had some... odd characters, but they added a little flare to the game. I personally would have liked it if they were more like the first generation of Gym Leaders, but I guess you can't have everything. I think they're focusing on making them too unique. I liked the variety of types and the way that you could push through this game while raising all of your Pokemon equally. The previous games didn't really encourage this, especially when you hit the first gym of the first two generations. There are a bunch of weak Pokemon lacking in variety, and your starter choice is usually based off of the first gym. This is eliminated in Pokemon Black and White, and I think that's a good start. You've got your starter trained and then a second Pokemon already that really helps you out. It encourages more strategy than the first few generations.

I happen to really like the story of this one, as well. Team Magma and Aqua never really worked out for me, but I think they established a good plan when they were the final stretch of the game. The only thing I didn't like was the two conflicting teams. The Hoenn region was extremely unique and wonderful, and it had that flare that made it stick in your brain, but I think it didn't come around quite as well as the other generations. The Pokemon of those games are probably the least recognized among the entire series, and that's partially because it came between the two milestone generations and the generation of competitive Wi-Fi battling. The third generation was just placed at the wrong time, but was an extremely good generation. I didn't quite like the layout of the two teams, though... Team Magma and Aqua sort of bored me, especially after seeing the roles absolutely mimicked aside from the legendary Pokemon they target in the other game.

Warning: Plot/End-Game spoilers from Black and White
Team Plasma really stood out to me. I think it was great how they introduced Ghetsis and kind of let us believe that he was the head honcho throughout the first part of the game, and then suddenly this mysterious trainer we kept encountering turned around to be announced as the King of Team Plasma, Ghetsis being his father. It was a fun little twist and something that kept up with you throughout the game. I personally believe it's amazing how at the end of the Pokemon League you run into Team Plasma immediately rather than the Champion, and then it goes from there for the most epic point in the entire series. Team Plasma's Castle was an excellent rendition of class and how widespread their ideals were, and just how far they were willing to go to obtain their goals. The battles, puzzles, and the entire trek through the castle in general was memorable. The Post-game in Black and White of finding all the Sages was also fueled by the excitement of the legendaries available only at that point in the game.

In all, I believe that Black and White were part of an extremely powerful generation that pounded new ideas and epic encounters into our head that far surpassed the other games.

Fig

The Altruist
I have always loved the first generation of Pokemon, mostly because I grew up with them. Pikachu was my favorite and still is. The First Generation of Pokemon very simple compared to the other four generations, still the first generation is still the best one from the five. :)

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
My favorite gen is either Generation 1 or Generation 2 because I thought those had the overall best Pokemon and regions. I played LeafGreen and got hooked on it because all the Pokemon were the memorable ones from when you watched the show back when it was popular. But I think Generation 2 greatly improved on what Generation 1 did. Generation 2 had almost all of the good Pokemon from Generation 1 and added so many more things to the series and had a fair amount of great new Pokemon.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
This question is EXTREMELYY hard. D/P started it off, Gen 2 has two generations and memorable pokemon, Gen 1 is just epic with Pokemon and memorable times... (FR/LG) and R/S/E is just epic itself. But then there is Mother 3, I mean Black and White, which is just like my fave RPG, Mother 3.

I just can't choose.....

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
It's encouraging to see many people voted for Generation II. I truly enjoyed that Generation the most because of the ability to play through Kanto, and the fact that it is the closest thing to a direct sequel. The new Pokemon at the time were really exciting especially with the release of the newest movie with Entei, and Lugia being the main focus. It was a game that vastly improved on what the Gameboy was capable of, and the remakes in Generation IV were a very close homage to that. Don't get me wrong when I say I like Generation II. I also loved the remakes, and Heartgold was a great game. I didn't have many friends who bought Heartgold so I feel like I missed out a bit on it, but having access to the Gen II guys again was a great feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom