• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Ganondorf?

Which Ganondorf variation is your favorite and why? Personally I love his design from Twilight Princess and find it cool how in Ocarina of Time he plays an organ. But I have to go with his Wind Waker variation. I just find him more menacing and really love the way he was presented. I love his battle in TP (all 4 phases) and find it iconic in OoT, but in WW I find it atmospheric. This is just my opinion and I would like to hear yours. Thank you!

My two favourite Ganon(dorf)s are probably TWW Ganondorf and Calamity Ganon. TWW 'Dorf is Ganon at his most human, wheras the Calamity is him having lost all of his humanity, providing great contrast, and they both fit their respective games smashingly, too.

Not sure if this belongs in the theory section, though.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
The final battle against WW ganondorf really hit me hard as a kid and to this day I still think it's insanely epic. And I agree with above that he is the best written one. Everything in WW's story is so epic and touching, and I think he does a big part of it.
He goes number one.
Number two comes OoT ganondorf. Organ, baby.
Number three ... we're saying ganondorf specifically? Because I didn't really like TP's ganondorf, he felt kind of shoehorned in.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Best Ganondorf for me is Hyrule Warriors. Shame it isn't a canon game because his personality is nailed in that. He is back to his overconfident OOT persona and his design is amazing. I love the mane. Also I found Taiten Kusunoki is the best Ganondorf voice and his laugh is the most diabolical.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I know my argument here has been done to death, but I’m gonna say it anyway.

WW Ganondorf has a character, unlike TP Ganondorf. He has motives, emotions, and even a slight hint of character development. “I coveted that wind, I suppose” is one of my favorite lines in all of gaming. TP Ganondorf (and HW Ganondorf for that matter) just screamed tryhard to me. Come on Nintendo, just adding more hair braces doesn’t make him look cooler, it makes him look dumber. OoT Ganondorf was also pretty good, he also had character, he just seemed to want to toy with you throughout the entire adult portion of the game. Overall WW definitely had the best Ganondorf, OoT Ganondorf was pretty good, and TP Ganondorf was absolute trash.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I liked all of them except tWW Ganondorf, who completely broke character and was inconsistent.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Aesthetically, Twilight Princess Ganondorf is my favorite. He looks the most militaristic in this game, his armor is rad, and actually looks like a fierce swordsman. Unfortunately, his presence was a little too absent in the beginning and then after he showed up, he wasn't all that more interesting than Zant.

Character-wise, Wind Waker Ganondorf because he doesn't just twiddle his mustache while he slaughters orphans. Nintendo kind of retcons Ganondorf and gives him some motivation in this game, and though its only one line of dialogue that outlines it, it makes this Ganondorf believable. You can understand his plight to a degree and why he hates Hyrule so much.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Ocarina of Time Ganondorf.

It's the first time we see him as human.

Nintendo decided to forego their standard "evil dragon-thing" bad guy and actually make Ganon into a character. The Dorf gets the most character development in Ocarina. We get to see how he lived as a Gerudo. We get to behold his conquest of Hyrule and his rise to power and the effect it has on the land and its inhabitants. We get to watch him scheme and plot. We get to witness his corrupting power lead to his fall to temptation and his resulting transformation into the beast Ganon. They made him human and then he lost his humanity and became the "Ganon" that is known to the series. It's an effective way to tell an origin story retroactively.

This is yet another reason why Wind Waker sucks seems like it was shoehorned in to the Zelda series. For a game that is a direct sequel to Ocarina, Wind Waker Ganon completely disregards all this. He's not uncommonly referred to as "Ganon" in Wind Waker but he never appears as the pig lizard. More than that, Wind Waker's "Ganon" is too sane. Almost perfectly reasonable even and acts with kit gloves compared to other games. If this is supposed to be "Ganon" after inexplicably breaking out of the Dark World and wreaking so much havoc on Hyrule as a rampaging monster that the gods had no recourse but to get all biblical, he sure doesn't show it!

He should have appeared more as he did in Twilight Princess. Mad. Insanely Arrogant. Royally Pissed OFF. Exuding barely contained hatred and malice and unbridled rage that could explode at any moment! TP at least got that right. Unfortunately like so much of that game, Ganondorf is woefully underdeveloped. We don't get any insight into his motivations other than the obvious "conquer Hyrule again just out of spite." We don't get to see him plot and work his schemes. We have no sense of the relationship between him and Zant. We don't know what his time in the Twilight Realm was like or what the Triforce of Power has done to him.

His portrayal in TP is best in series. Although Ocarina does a good job portraying him as a cocky, self assured youth, TP is the only game to explicitly nail his portrayal and mannerisms and really solidly convey the intensity of Ganondorf's character. But Ocarina of Time is the only game for character establishment, building and development.

Wind Waker Ganon is too inconsistent for me to recognize him as Ganon(dorf).

... and in BotW he's a cloud :dry:

I loved Ganon's atmospheric, boogeyman presence in Breath of the Wild. Yeah, he barely had a character but that was the point; Calamity Ganon was a result of him just giving up and becoming this Malice, demon-goo ghost thing that just wants to kill everything. I'd say there's some parallels to Majora's Mask here (who was also an intriguing villain despite being a freakin' mask). I can't wait to see what backstory they'll come up with for the mummified Ganondorf with the Malice eyes in BOTW2. He's getting darker and scarier, and I believe this is the right direction Nintendo is taking what with him being an incarnation of Demise.
Of course, OOT Ganondorf is my favorite, that's where he started (unless Nintendo decides to retcon that too. :dry: Whatever.) and demonstrated most of his cunning there. I also think the long red hair and badass crimson cape suit him the best. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Ocarina of Time Ganondorf will always be my favorite. I love how he looks and sounds, and I love how he's actually playing the organ that you hear as you ascend the tower. Plus it's very difficult to top his Ganondorf/Ganon battles for spectacle and challenge. But I will say I also like Wind Waker Ganondorf for his humanization.

I think Ocarina of Time Ganondorf will always be my favorite. I love how he looks and sounds, and I love how he's actually playing the organ that you hear as you ascend the tower. Plus it's very difficult to top his Ganondorf/Ganon battles for spectacle and challenge. But I will say I also like Wind Waker Ganondorf for his humanization.
YES!!! That moment is so iconic when Link's walking up the red carpet stairs while the organ music is playing. I also think OOT Ganon's beast transformation looks the most badass, besides his Calamity serpent-ghost form. 1200px-SSBUWebsiteGanondorf6.jpg

WAY better than that blue pig-beast cartoon-looking thing LOL! SO GLAD Smash Bros. went back to the original N64 version!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom