• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Game Currency.

octorok74

TETTAC
So I was thinking about this a lot for the past week since I've been playing Fallout New Vegas. The currency in the game is bottle caps. It's simple, makes a cool sound when you pick them up, and yet it is the standard currency everywhere. But it got me really thinking about currency in other games. Zelda has rupees, last I checked Halo still had credits, and Destiny has glimmer. I was curious what others held as their favorite game currency. Discussion begins now.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Bottle caps? Really...that's different.

I suppose the gems from Spyro. The classic trilogy was my childhood, and the gems served as collectables and currency at the same time. There was a limited amount of them in the game and if you wanted to 100%, you had to pick up all of them. The only thing you spent them on was services from the greedy bear Moneybags, who would charge you for things like opening bridges and stuff like that. But the game would still say you had them even after that. And at the end of Year of the Dragon, you got to chase him down and get your gems back.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think the Metro games do it quite realistically and in a cool way in that the currency is bullets, being so valuable in the post-apocalyptic world that it's used as the standard currency when trading; you need to balance it as both money and ammunition. It's quite a cool concept and works really well I think, adds a new layer to your inventory management. You could use a lot of bullets to buy that new gun, but then later on could have really used them bullets. :P A very cool concept, especially on the harder difficulties when ammo is quite sparse. And different types of bullets amount to a different value!

octorok74

TETTAC
I think the Metro games do it quite realistically and in a cool way in that the currency is bullets, being so valuable in the post-apocalyptic world that it's used as the standard currency when trading; you need to balance it as both money and ammunition.

I like that idea. I have yet to play the Metro games since they are both above $20 right now, but the are up near the top of my list to play. But I do like the idea of bullets, since it does make sense. But still I have to give my favorite currency award to caps. I already have like 40 caps, so I'm building up a nice sum before the bombs fall. Always be prepared.

D

Deleted member 14134

Gotta say bottlecaps, I thought of it before I read your post. Also I've started collecting so that I have a head start for when the bombs drop.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
The bolts from Ratchet en Clank were pretty funny. Really liked that game back in the day. Got to give a shoutout to the septim since I've spend to much time playing Skyrim as well.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I liked the currency system in Dragon Age. (origins)
Simple, and not too much unlike our own, here in the US.

100 bronze/copper pieces made a silver piece, 100 silver, a gold. Though, I forget at the moment what they're called-
I can google that.

Oh yeah, the gold pieces were called "sovereigns"... http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Currency

Bits, Silvers, and Sovereigns.

It adds a bit of interesting mix to the system when there's more than one unit.
I mean, in practically every other game it's one solid unit. Like Pokedollars in Pokemon (though it's actually Yen- America just changed it- probably thinking "oh it's too Japanese, let's suck all the culture out of it!"), or Bells in Animal Crossing, or Rupees in Zelda, or bottle caps in Fallout, or rings in Sonic, or Koins in Mortal Kombat, etc, etc....
In games like that, they all have one unit of currency. Simple, yes, and I guess it's easier to program that way. But, Dragon Age is so far the only game I know that has more than one unit. It has three. ^^ And I find that more interesting than one flat unit.

I still wonder why in Animal Crossing they're called "bells".... why bells? Are they real bells? Like- cat bells? or school bells? or is that just the name of them? They look like coins, so they can't be real 'bell' bells. If they were, you'd jingle around while you were walking, and probably scare the fish and bugs....

.....then again, there is a ''jingling'' sound when you sell items... so, maaayyybeeee.........

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Gil from Final Fantasy, Fol from Star Ocean, Copper/Silver/Gold from Guild Wars 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom