• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite FPS Series/game, and Share Your Experiences?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I know, I know, the forum already has a billion and one too many "What's your favorite" type of thread. Well, this one is special in that it deals with First Person Shooters -- obviously several people of the forums don't take kindly to FPSes, but I know there are some that do, myself included.. So go ahead, what's your favorite FPS series and within that series, what's your favorite game? Furthermore, what about that series/game draws you to it in particular?

For me, it's a toss-up between the Call of Duty series as well as the Battlefield series. Actually, it is more so the CoD series given that I've played many more games than I have in BF.

Within CoD, my favorite game to date has got to be Black Ops. It is, for the most part, the only game in the entire series that allows you to have fun off and online. Don't have Xbox Live, or maybe your Internet is down? No problem, play Combat Training -- you have a plethora of bots to play against. Why do I like CoD? Because, you can shoot things. I get frustrated easily. Taking out the hordes of useless enemies in Skyward Sword doesn't do it for me. Sometimes I don't want to swap the disc for Soul Calibur 4. CoD is there for me to relinquish the chained rage that boils inside my soul.

Within Battlefield, admittedly I've only played Play4Free on the PC. I like it for many reasons, the prime of which has got to be the fact that it is free, fast paced online FPS where I can vent my rage whenever I choose to (provided I have the Internet).

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I don't care for First Person Shooters very much. I do own several games on account of my brother, but I never play through the campaigns, only multiplayer fun with him and my friends. My favourite would have to be the Halo series, because it's the one I understand the most, the one I'm best at, and I like the idea of a futuristic setting. I favourite of the series is a toss-up between 3 and Reach.

Half-Life is my favorite series of shooters. I just got done replaying HL2 + the two Episodes again a few days ago and it's an amazing experience. I'm not terribly articulate, but ultimately I think what separates Half-Life from other games for me is the universe they've managed to create. Between the art direction and overall atmosphere, to the voice acting, to the incredible level of detail they put into each area of the game, it feels like a real place, not just pixels on a screen.

While I don't find the actual shooting all that amazing, the rest of the gameplay is top notch. The layout of the levels & how you interact with them to progress (many small puzzles to be solved and objects to be manipulated with the gravity gun etc) is fantastic. Everything feels very organic for lack of a better term. There are no waypoints or arrows or anything on screen telling you where to go next, and the objectives aren't glowing like in so many other games.

Also the fact that there aren't any true ''cut scenes'' in the game and the story is told in a very unique way adds to City 17 & the surrounding areas feeling like a real universe. Everything just ''clicks'' in such a way that makes it all work so brilliantly. There is nothing quite like Half-Life (that I've played) so if anyone reading this hasn't played them yet, they really should!

Honorable mention goes to Bioshock. Another amazing game that creates a believable & fascinating place to visit. Sorry I'm not great at expressing my thoughts, but these games speak for themselves once you play them!

VanitasXII said:
For me, it's a toss-up between the Call of Duty series as well as the Battlefield series. Actually, it is more so the CoD series given that I've played many more games than I have in BF.
This. I enjoy playing both Call of Duty and Battlefield and I honestly don't see why the fans of each have to be at each other's throats.

In CoD, my favorite is Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I find its online multiplayer to be a lot more entertaining than any of the newer Call of Duty games (an exception to that is World at War, since WaW's multiplayer is essentially Modern Warfare's). The classes and killstreaks were just a lot more simple and I really liked that. Other than the multiplayer, the game also has an interesting campaign mode that is enjoyable to play through. I have actually replayed it several times before, and started a veteran run of the game.

When it comes to Battlefield, or at least Battlefield 3, I absolutely love the mechanics. I find it more enjoyable having to guess range and having to compensate for it when it comes to long-range shots. It makes it a lot more fun and also takes more skill to pull off certain shots. That alone tops Call of Duty, in my opinion. As for the campaign, I haven't actually played that much into it. I should probably get on that...

Also, I think Goldeneye: Wiiloaded deserves a mention here. I loved Goldeneye 64, and I think Wiiloaded did great as a remake.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
I don't have a favorite series. Soooo I'll just list my favorite from each series I've played!

Battlefield - Bad Company 2
Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2
Halo - Part 3
Crysis - Part 2
Killzone - Part 3

It's a toss up between Halo and Call of Duty. I'm partial to the futuristic setting of Halo. Also, I think their combat is better polished and weapon selection more unique. I can also play hours upon hours of Halo Firefight with my friends. So, you'd think I'd like Halo more than CoD right?

Wrong. I like CoD more. Why? Well, purley for the enjoyment of Xbox Live. No, I'm not talking about the actual combat. I'm talking about trolling nerds alllll dayyyyyyy looooong.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Team Fortress 2 is my favorite FPS. It's so silly, but really fun at the same time. I'm not a serious person and I don't like being around super competitive people, which is pretty much what all other FPS series are full of. Not to say TF2 doesn't have its competitive players, but most of the time the servers I enter are full of people who just wanna have fun.

Call of Duty used to be good for me until MW2 came along, World at War is my favorite in that series.

So I guess when it comes to series it's a toss up between Halo and Gears of War, if TPS count anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom