• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Fighting Series?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
By fighting series, I mean games in which players fight to the death with an opponent in any given stage. This mainly hearkens to famed franchises such as Street Fighter, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat. There should be plenty more than those, so have at it.

My favorite has to be Super Smash Brothers. This series has always included all sorts of well-recognized characters from many different gaming genres, and uses a very diverse compilation of themes from their games. To my knowledge, SSB is the first to utilize the K.O. mechanic of striving to knock rivals off the stage, rather than draining down energy bars as most other franchises do. It also brought in a myriad of items and health-restorers from the various series to increase the glory of the fight. Thankfully the developers aren't afraid to have Nintendo-restricted characters, because Snake of Konami and Sonic of SEGA were introduced in Brawl. I'm looking forward to SSB U all the more because of this. :ssb:

What about you?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My top three fighters:

Soul Calibur
I've been with Soul since the days of Edge...well, when Soul Edge was in arcades in the late 90s. I really prefer Soul to any other fighter due to the weapon-based system; weapons at least by Soul Calibur III have varying effects one can employ in battle. I love mastering characters; my mains from SC2 onwards are Link (SC2 GC), Nightmare (SC2 PS2, SC3, SC4, SC5), and Amy/Viola (SC4/SC5). Learning frame data is amazing fun, and button combinations/buffering is a fun tactic to (ab)use. Yes, Soul is great. I recommend 2, 3 and 5 to anyone, although 5 is rather lackluster.

Tekken
Been with Tekken since Tekken 3, and those were the days. I didn't much care for T6, but TTT, T4, T5 and TTT2 are some nice entries. My mains are Jin and Asuka as of TTT2 WiiU Edition.

Super Smash Brothers
Classic fighter. Can't go wrong with some SSB now can we? I'm awaiting SSB43DS, although I'm sure Wii U will be the better purchase in the long run. Mains are Young Link (Melee), Link (64/Brawl) and Kirby (64/Brawl). I need to /buy/ Brawl though, and a few Wiimotes so I can challenge.

Last edited:
Soul Calibur. I love the button-mashing combo-memorizing of this game. Plus the addition of a guest character or two in each game really makes each new game fun for its own reason. Soul Calibur V was good and all, but they changed so much that I don't think the series is going to be getting a new game for awhile, unless they make a prequel to the first one. Soul Calibur II in my mind is the greatest Fighting Game of all time.

My mains are Link (SCII and surprisingly has great combos and versatility), Nightmare, Yoshimitsu and Ezio Auditore (SCV)

Dead or Alive, i've always loved it, the characters may not be as interesting as other franchises or as recognisable like Tekken and Soul Calibur but theyre still pretty nifty. The fights and overblown action is always awesome its humour and gorgeous cast are all big wins for me and DoA5 was the best game period that i played last year, totally deserves to be played.

I follow most fighters because of the cast though, theyre my favourite elements because most of the characters within the rosters are very well thought out, interesting and varied.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Super Smash Bros.
I love everything about this series.

Street Fighter
I love how you have to do certain movements to pull off attacks and whatnot.

Smash Brothers is my absolute favorite but I also like SNK classics like The Last Blade series.

1.Super Smash Bros.
2.Soul Calibur(even though 4 and 5 are not that great,the gameplay is still fun and I'm sure that we'll get something good...someday)
3.Street Fighter

I don't play a massive selection of fighters, but two franchises stick out to me.

Super Smash Bros. Yeah, I'm sure you were all expecting that. It has a very original concept and has only built on itself as time's gone on. It's made a few stumbles here and there (Melee's AI was atrocious, Brawl's combat is slower and more gimmicky), but I'm hoping the next games in the series will iron out previous flaws, and I'm really looking forward to them. My mains in the first Smash Bros. were generally Link, Pikachu, and Kirby, though it's been awhile since I've played it. In Melee, my mains were Marth, Luigi, and Roy, probably in that order. I have quite a few in Brawl, ranging from Ike (first and foremost), Marth, Pit, Fox, Meta Knight, Lucario, and Toon Link.

Killer Instinct. Please tell me somebody else remembers this one. It's a series that didn't last long and therefore wasn't terribly deep, but it was the absolutely CHAMP of fast-paced, adrenaline-rushing combat. It had a varied cast of characters (an animated skeleton, a human/dinosaur hybrid, a werewolf, a Tibetan monk, a man made of fire...) and some awesome music (look up the themes of Sabrewulf, Spinal, and Fulgore if you would), and, of course, it started the "C-C-C-Combo Breaker!" meme. Few things are as epic as finishing off your opponent with an Ultra Combo and knocking them off the stage. It's too bad RareWare isn't wholly interested in making a Killer Instinct 3, because it would probably sell better than they'd think.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Mortal Kombat is def my fav. Grew up on MK3 for the Sega Genesis.

I also do enjoy SSB and Soul Calibur greatly and Street Fighter too when I do get a chance to play (but I'm bad at it, lol).

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Am I gonna say it? I think I am!

Marvel vs. Capcom series: Always fun, whether it's the original instalment or the latest update. I love mastering combos and destroying other players in a few seconds or going uber cheap mode with Venom. The newest game is quite fun with some of the characters being very unique.

Super Smash Bros: Classic series. I doubt I have to explain this. It's just really freaking fun.

Am I gonna say it? I think I am!

Marvel vs. Capcom series: Always fun, whether it's the original instalment or the latest update. I love mastering combos and destroying other players in a few seconds or going uber cheap mode with Venom. The newest game is quite fun with some of the characters being very unique.
My boyfriend HATES that game. I love it though because it's freaking crazy, nothing as good as transforming into Dark Phoenix and raising hell.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
If it needs to be said, then I will say it. Super Smash Bros!

Favourite series of all time? God yes. Love is not able to be comprehended. The series has only gotten greater with each entry of the series. Given this track record, SSB4 will be the greatest game ever made.

I'm diverse when it comes to who I play as. The fact I'm not dead-set on a single character prevents me from reaching my full potential, I'd say. I do tend to favour the stronger and slower type. The icons below more or less represent my frequency as the character.

Super Smash Bros.
Nintendo 64

LinkHeadSSB.png
CFalconHeadSSB.png
DKHeadSSB.png
SamusHeadSSB.png
LuigiHeadSSB.png
MarioHeadSSB.png

My first Nintendo game. <3 Introduced me to so much. Nostalgia overload. Playing at my mates house is a favourite past-time of mine. I favoured Samus, despite not knowing who he she was. I liked the Charge Beam a lot. I've gone away from her a little since, choosing other characters more frequently over.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Nintendo Gamecube

LinkHeadSSBM.png
CFalconHeadSSBM.png
GanondorfHeadSSBM.png
LuigiHeadSSBM.png
DKHeadSSBM.png
BowserHeadSSBM.png
SamusHeadSSBM.png
MarioHeadSSBM.png

I wasn't as heavy on Melee as much I was Smash 64. Every conceivable thing was improved on, and I appreciate that, but I prefer SSB64 for how much more primitive it is.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Nintendo Wii

20px-LinkHeadSSBB.png
20px-GanondorfHeadSSBB.png
20px-DKHeadSSBB.png
20px-LuigiHeadSSBB.png
20px-BowserHeadSSBB.png
20px-MarioHeadSSBB.png
20px-CFalconHeadSSBB.png
20px-IkeHeadSSBB.png
20px-KirbyHeadSSBB.png
20px-SamusHeadSSBB.png

Holy mother of...this game. This game. O_O It is the most mind-blowing thing to exist. I don't have words to describe just how flawless I find this game to be. Thousands of hours well spent. My collection of several hundred replays is the most cherished thing I have.

I started off a Luigi man, but realising my lack of skills there, I expanded off to Link, Bowser and Captain Falcon. These four would be my mains for some time, until took notice of other amazing potential characters. Ganondorf, Donkey Kong and Mario were added to my mental roster, remaining today still. Not every character had stuck, though. I tried out Olimar, Snake and Sonic, but didn't care for their styles. Perhaps a blessing in disguise, as with them included, I would certainly be playing as too many nowadays. In the more recent of times, I've picked up Ike, Kirby and Samus, the last of which I was hesitant to due to such a metagame I find irregular. Nevertheless, my selection of 10 characters always keeps the game fresh, and I'm certainly to continue playing this game nonstop until Super Smash Bros. 4 is released. Looking forward to the future...

:ssb: <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom