• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Dungeon Theme?

Dungeon themes

• Fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water

• Mechanical

• Forest

• Dark

• Sand

• Ice

• Total voters

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Fire dungeons always have lava, obviously. They rely more on difficult enemies than puzzles. Examples: Fire Temple(OoT), Goron Mines(TP), Earth Temple(SS)

Forest dungeons usually have simple puzzles, and are usually early in the game. Examples: Deku Tree(OoT), Forest Temple(TP), Skyview Temple(SS)

Water dungeons usually have the hardest puzzles, and obviously a lot of water. Examples: Water Temple(OoT), Lakebed Temple(TP), Ancient Cistern(SS)

Sand dungeons usually come later in the game, and have quicksand. Examples: Arbiter's Grounds(TP), Sandship(SS), Lanayru Mining Facility(SS)

Mechanical dungeons have a lot of technology in them. Examples: Sky City(TP), Lanayru Mining Facility(SS)

Ice dungeons have slippery ice floors. Examples: Snowpeak Ruins(TP), Ice Cavern(OoT)

Dark dungeons usually have lots of traps, and a creepy atmosphere. Examples: Shadow Temple(OoT), Twilight Palace(TP), Ancient Cistern(SS)

My vote goes to fire, ice, and mechanical.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
i voted for forest. however i think that it depends completely on the dungeon itself, not the dungeon type. For example, i thought that the Lanayru Mining Facility had great music, and I thought that the music for City in the Sky sucked

skywardsword13

Dawn of the Final Day
great topic! My votes gonna have to go to sand, but only when it is implemented into a spirit type temple like the Spirit Temple in OoT, or Stone Tower in MM. Hell, even Arbiter's Grounds was pretty great. But I wasn't a big fan of the sand when it came to Sandship and Lanaryu Mining Facility.

Next favorite is definitely ice... ah hell, i might as well make a list :P

1.Sand
2.Ice
3.Dark
4.Forest
5.Fire
6.Water
7.Mechanical

Let it be noted that I dont dislike any dungeon at all.

P.s. you forgot sky/wind dungeons, light dungeons, and Earth Dungeons (I guess the latter two aren't as distinguishable, but the sky/wind ones are good to include :P

triforce_power

One of the Sheikah
I chose Sand
I like the temples that are puzzle heavy, but aren't water temples (mainly because those are just annoying, not fun) and sand temples seem to be the ones like that. Though I HATE Sinksand (and lanayru mining facility) xD

Ice dungeons.

I happen to like Ice Block puzzles and melting things. Snowpeak Ruins had a great combination of a mansion, and an ice dungeon.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
Hmm . . . I really liked the 'Light' dungeons like the Spirit Temple (OoT) and Stone Tower Temple (MM) that I guess would be categorized under 'Sand', but I have to say my favourites are the water dungeons. They may have been annoying, but the overall scheme of them is really cool. Great bosses, too, with the swimming parts along with the fighting on land.

I like the dark style dungeons the best. The spirit temple in OOT was by far my favorite one. And I still get creeped out watching those floating hands come towards me in the twilit palace in TP. It was almost resident evil-ish.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Mechanical hands down.

The Lanryu Mining facility was pure rupee. I really hope to see more temples like that. Not only using the shift stones to go back and forth through time, but making certain machines work for your advantage. I loved that temple.

Last edited:

Skunk

Floof
I love forest Temples because they are simple, yet provide enough to be entertaining without to much frustration.

This is my ranking of the dungeon themes from favorite to least favorite:

1. Dark
2. Forest
3. Mechanical
4. Ice
5. Fire
6. Sand
7. Water

All of the dungeon themes Nintendo has thought of since the dawn of the franchise are pure genius but what separates the best from the pack is their constant innovation and great atmosphere. I especially found this true of the Dark, Forest, and Mechanical themes. Don't get me wrong, fire and water themed dungeons are also genius but they lack that same aesthetic and gameplay appeal for me. Heck, I found the Water Temple to be one of the easier dungeons in Ocarina of Time even if it remains a paragon for speedrunning.

But let's cut to the chase. The Dark Themed dungeon in Zelda game have always kept me on my toes and alert. You never know what's around the corner and the majority of the puzzles in these dungeons are beyond excellent. Of the three examples listed, only the Twilight Palace was slightly overwhelming. The Shadow Temple completely caught me off guard with its haunting soundtrack and death traps around every corner. The giant pendulums still remain in my memory to this day. The dungeon also made fantastic use of multiple items including the Lens of Truth and Hoover Boots. Bongo Bongo stands as a landmark battle with a plethora of combinations available to defeat him. The same applies for the Ancient Cistern. The Beetle and whip found extensive use there, Cursed Bokoblins contributed to a chilling presentation, and Koloktos stands as one of the greatest boss battles the franchise has to offer.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Fire, Forest and Water, maybe a little Shadow here and there.

I personally just don't like mechanical dungeons, but that's me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom