• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite console of each generation

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
First Generation: Magnavox Odyssey 4000, from 1977. It was the last in the first gen Odyssey line and it featured detachable joysticks. It also displayed in color and not in black and white.

Second Generation: Atari 2600, from 1977. Needs no explanation. The 2600 was a massive leap for video gaming.

Third Generation: Nintendo Entertainment System, from 1985. Also needs no explanation. It put Nintendo on the map and made them a leader and innovator in gaming. Many of our most beloved Nintendo franchises began here.

Fourth Generation: Super Nintendo Entertainment System, from 1991. Probably my favorite console of all time. Its games are absolutely timeless and represent a variety of outstandingly high quality products of the likes, pound-for-pound, I don't think I've seen since. Or perhaps I'm being deluded by nostalgia. Either way, it's my favorite.

Fifth Generation: Nintendo 64, from 1996. It's close between the 64 and the PlayStation for me, but the 64 takes it. For me, the 64 represents the last time Nintendo was the clear leader and innovator in gaming and its games captured me more than did the PS1's, but only barely.

Sixth Generation: PlayStation 2, from 2000. Hands down the most influential and popular console ever made. Needs no explanation.

Seventh Generation: Xbox 360, from 2005. Just my personal favorite of the big three for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: first party games, online, controller, etc.

Eighth Generation: Honestly don't know when it comes to the home consoles. Haven't played them enough or kept up with their pros and cons enough to be able to make a personal judgment. Probably have to go with a handheld and choose the Nintendo 3DS.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii
Wii U

So predictable...

2 - Atari 2600 - Only console I own from that generation

The Atari 2600 isn't a second generation console. That would be the Atari 5200.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
  • 3rd Generation - NES - My cousin had an Atari 2600, but I didn't get my start personally until the NES, and so it is my favorite. Never played the competitor's consoles, so I can't really speak for them. Simply, the NES opened up my world to gaming, and it will always hold a special place in my heart, even if I only played about 10 games of the 100s that came out on it.

• 4th Generation - SNES - I don't think there's any question here. I did play and enjoy the Sega Genesis, but Genesis didn't have Link to the Past, or the Final Fantasy games, or Donkey Kong Country, or Super Metroid or Super Mario World.

• 5th Generation - PlayStation - This was hard for me, but as much as the N64 has my favorite game of all time (Ocarina of Time), the PS was the better console. One game, even if it's my favorite, doesn't trump everything the PS offered. That the N64 is the console for which I've owned the least amount of games says it all. Yeah, the N64 was the more influential console, in regards to long-term gaming history, but the PS was the better console at the time.

• 6th Generation - GameCube - No contest. The GameCube is my favorite console of all time. It has more all-time great games on it than any console other than the SNES, and although I did play and greatly enjoy the PS2, the GameCube had better memories for me.

• 7th Generation - Wii, but with a caveat - At the time, I preferred my Xbox 360. I played it more, and I thought it was better, simply because the games felt more complete. However, in retrospect, the Wii is the better console overall. I point to the fact that I still play my Wii, regularly, and I haven't touched my 360 in a long time. Add to that the fact that I'm on my 3rd 360, because Microsoft makes some crappy hardware, and it's a no-brainer.

• 8th Generation - Wii U - I only own a Wii U and haven't played an Xbox One nor a PlayStation 4, nor do I have any interest in either at the moment (though I can see myself getting a PS4 before I get an XBO), but for right now, the Wii U has enough to keep my satisfied. This will probably be the first time since 5th generation that I only own one console.

2nd Gen - Atari 2600
3rd Gen - NES
4th Gen - Genesis
5th Gen - Playstation
6th Gen - Playstation 2
6.5th Gen - PSP
7th Gen - Playstation 3
7.5th Gen - Vita though 3DS is closer than it should be, unlike PSP completely crushing the DS to me.
8th Gen - None yet.

Over all winner? PC. lol.

2 - Atari 2600 (Before ET crashed the video game industry for a year)
3 - NES
4 - SNES
5 - N64 (The PS is more like gen 4.5 but still the N64 beats it in my opinion not cause the N64 was all that great but because the PS was pretty bad)
6 - PS2 and GC tie. Overall the PS2 is the better system with better games but the GC did have it's moments of brilliance with games like Metroid Prime. So both win but from different perspectives.
7 - PS3 and Wii tie. The PS3 was a HD beast but the Wii was the most innovative console of it's generation and the better games on it like Mario Galaxy were simply amazing.
8 - WiiU

5th - N64
6th - PS2
7th - Xbox 360
8th - Wii U (thus far)

I tend to like the system that I consider to have the most good games on it. It was a really close calls for me between the N64 and the PS1 and the 360 and the PS3. In the end, I have to give the slight nod to the N64 because I was never much into the PS1's array of RPGS. Even though I believe the PS3 ended the last generation with the better exclusives, I spent more time on the 360 for the majority of the generation due to better online, what I consider to be a better controller, and Halo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom