• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite coffee?

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
That's right, I wanna know your favorite coffee & WHY! My partner is drinking coffee again, & has been watching James Hoffman & is now interested in branching out his tastes in coffee, as for years he always thought ALL coffee was gross & only drank it because I drank it. He now understands that he was just drinking the "wrong" kind, & that there's types out there that he can actually enjoy. Now he's curious of WHY people enjoy various blends & is branching out, so I want your comments & opinions to help him try some new kinds, if you are so inclined!

Blends, brand, type, ways you prepare, acidity (if you're particular about that, or aware of it at least) & if you use cream+sugar so I get an idea of how you take it, so I can get an idea of how it stacks up to his. More talking brewed coffee, NOT canned coffee drinks, though those are fine, that's not really what I'm looking for here & not something you order at a cafe. Looking for made at home stuff! I'm curious of what coffee(s) you drink & why it's your favorite when it comes to it's flavor, NOT: "I like it because it wakes me up". We're entirely looking for taste here & not the function, ahaha.

As for him, he seems to prefer low-acidity, low earthiness & low to no fruitiness. Which has been tricky. Arabica blends so far tend to be good, but Colombian is usually too acidic & fruity. For that matter, I hate acidity too, but he doesn't like earthy coffees or bitterness like I tend to enjoy, so we're trying to find a sort of inoffensive middle-ground... ideally, anyway. However, even if you don't think he may like the coffee, I still want your opinion as I may grab a small bag just to try it out anyway, since he still isn't too sure about what he likes. Just Folgers is a big "no". He's tried every single kind of Folgers & we both agree it's too acidic & lacking in everything else.

So, coffee! Have at it & tell me why X thing is your preference, & a bonus if it's something readily available in the USA. If it's something I can find, I would like him to eventually try some smaller bags.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I've been drinking Newman's Own special blend for a long time now. It's got an excellent flavor. Perfectly strong and smooth, no bitter notes. Very slight buttery and cocoa-ish taste. I wouldn't drink anything else. And it's also reasonably easy to find in a number of grocery stores.

Coffee! My favorite right now is Private Selection Kona Blend. Followed by a flavored coffee called Sinful Delight that I get on a website called Coffee Bean Direct. Has chocolate, hazelnut, that kind of thing. Suuuper good.

I like medium roasts the best on account their being a nice middle ground between the high caffeine content of light roast and the smoothness and body of darker stuff. Though I do stray darker if I want to mix it with milk or some such. Lighter if I'm feeling the more floral stuff. I drink light roasts black, since I think the taste and texture of dairy kind of clashes with the almost tea-like qualities of the light roasts I have. Medium roasts like that kona blend, I put just a tbsp of heavy whipping cream in for texture and drink it that way.

Far as equipment goes, I've got an Aeropress with that valve thing that lets you not have to brew upside down, a Chestnut C2 burr grinder, a kitchen scale, and an electric kettle with temp control.

My daily driver is 23g of the kona blend ground on size 16, 260g of 90C water, for 2:30. Coffee extracted over about 120g of ice. Then mixed with 1tbsp of heavy whipping cream. Best thing ever.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't know jack about coffee blends or brands. I barely like the stuff. If I do drink it, I have to load it up on sugar and creamer. The most coffee I drink is a starbucks vanilla iced coffee that is sold prepackaged in grocery store isles every once in a while. I do like that stuff despite never having set foor inside a starbucks in my life. Sometimes I'll get a pumpkin coffee from dunkin donuts when it's in season. That's about it.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Nescafe is... ok. Their Taster's Choice leaves an unusual "sourness" acidity in the mouth that we don't enjoy, which I think is maybe caused by it not being straight Arabica? I've yet to really find an instant coffee brand that doesn't have that unusual aftertaste, & like, some canned brands also cause it. I am not sure how to describe it, but it's distinct to just instant. I'm unsure if that is just something caused by leftover coffee particles from the powder on the tongue, due to the nature of making it, or something to do with the blends of the types we have purchased. Unless there's some other Nescafe I'm not aware of here. As there's not a ground version that I am aware of, at least. Instant is OK, but I have yet to find a kind that I can enjoy that doesn't have that unusual aftertaste that he dislikes, given he uses more cream & sugar than me & he still will taste it.

I will look into the others said so far, though! Newman's Own is not one I had considered yet!

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I was just trying to stay away of describing how coffee tastes since caffeine is a stimulant drug and try to stay away from brands and stuff cause deep down I really know that, if I need it and it's in front of me I'll grab it and drink it even if it comes from green tea which I believe the caffeine is of better quality as I can describe it. Lavazza is the standard Okey quality with segafredo being top notch quality. Have the luck to live close to Italy. So freddo espresso. I think a good espresso is a mixture of Arabica and robusta.
Alright, but I am specifically looking for flavor & why you like it for that reason, not for caffeine. I want people to talk about the flavor in that way! It's in my first post. So, say someone had a decaff coffee they really liked for the taste, that would be valid & encouraged. Caffeine is optional for us, though not something we're at all looking for. So... none of those "macho" man coffee brands that tote having very high caffeine, as they probably are going to be extremely bitter.

Italy probably has much better coffee-selection & variety than what I can find in my local American stores where I'm at, that's for sure. I wish I had the counter space to invest in an espresso machine, but sadly I do not so I am limited to most drip/ground & instant types for the moment.

Grogson

Treasure...dog!
I drink my coffee black (though I do often order cappuchino at cafés) and prefer a slightly lower acidity.
Ones that are described as tasting of dark chocolate and hazelnut always works, but I like trying out a variety of different blends with different flavour profiles. One of my all-time favourites is such a hazelnutty chocolatey coffee, from a small Swedish specialty coffee brand (Lundarost by Sandby kafferosteri). Another such brand (Johan & Nyström) has (or had, it's been a while since I last had it) a blend which is described as tasting like whiskey and smoke, I really like that one too. It doesn't quite taste like any other coffee I've had.

I like making coffee with my French press. I also have an aeropress which I really l like for how quick it is to make coffee with (and to clean afterwards) and how strong and clear it gets. The moka pot is a bit more finicky but I love espresso and moka coffee gets very close to that.

My favorite coffee is mocha. Except I can't drink coffee or hot chocolate anymore (I find that frustrating but there's nothing I can do about it, for now anyway), 'cause I suffer from GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease, and I take medecine evertyday to control it, it's called Pantoprazole) and caffeine and cocoa are bad for people who suffer from GERD. It's infuruating, I had to cut a lot of foods and drinks from my diet (including some of the ones that I really love) and replace them with other things and I constantly have to monitor myself to make sure I don't have deficiencies in my my diet, including iron, calcium, vitamin D and vitamin C. My mother said she would get me an appointment with a nutritionist because I struggle with planning my meals, meal preparations, what is or isn't good for me, and ideas of cold foods that I can eat during the summer (no one wants to cook when the weather is unbearably hot. As a nutritionist she would be qualified to tell me what a person with my condition can and cannot eat, the foods to eat and avoid for acid reflux, etc.

It's not easy to cope with a condition you know little about (all I know is that there are foods that I have to avoid, that I must increase my amount of fibers, drink plenty of water and thake my medication every morning) and it makes meal planning difficult. Not to mention that I have to avoid spices, herbs, pepper (they irritate my oesophagus and cause acic reflux episodes), and I can only had a little bit of salt (but I have to use very small amounts) and I often feel like the foods I eat are teasteless and lack flavor because of that, so I eat mechanically like a robot and take no pleasure in eating which severely affect my mental health and make me feel depressed (also as someone pointed out on a social media, one of the reasons why so many poor people suffer from mental health issues like depression is because they can't afford spices and herbs and eat tastless foods that lack flavor all the time and can't take pleasure in eating and that she's seen that a lot in poor neighborhoods and she's been told by people in poverty how inhumane it is and that it was such a blessing that some food banks sometimes give poor people spices or herbs that people have donated, but oftentime, they don't even seasoning to add flavor to the foods they eat, so they feel like they eat nothing but bland foods and most of the time they have a hard time afording meat/proteins as well since meat is so much more expensive since the beginning of the pandemic).

So maybe a nutritionist can tell me what I can add to my foods to make it flavorful, les bland, less tasteless. I mean who wants to eat rice, potatoes, carrots, soups, even some types of meat like chicken and steak, etc, without any seasoning, herbs or spices, those things are practicly tasteless without seasoning. I'm desperately in need of an appointment when a nutritionist and I'll sure be glad when I get to talk to her about my problems. If someone can help with those problems it's a nutritionist.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
My favorite coffee is mocha. Except I can't drink coffee or hot chocolate anymore (I find that frustrating but there's nothing I can do about it, for now anyway), 'cause I suffer from GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease, and I take medecine evertyday to control it, it's called Pantoprazole) and caffeine and cocoa are bad for people who suffer from GERD. It's infuruating, I had to cut a lot of foods and drinks from my diet (including some of the ones that I really love) and replace them with other things and I constantly have to monitor myself to make sure I don't have deficiencies in my my diet, including iron, calcium, vitamin D and vitamin C. My mother said she would get me an appointment with a nutritionist because I struggle with planning my meals, meal preparations, what is or isn't good for me, and ideas of cold foods that I can eat during the summer (no one wants to cook when the weather is unbearably hot. As a nutritionist she would be qualified to tell me what a person with my condition can and cannot eat, the foods to eat and avoid for acid reflux, etc.

It's not easy to cope with a condition you know little about (all I know is that there are foods that I have to avoid, that I must increase my amount of fibers, drink plenty of water and thake my medication every morning) and it makes meal planning difficult. Not to mention that I have to avoid spices, herbs, pepper (they irritate my oesophagus and cause acic reflux episodes), and I can only had a little bit of salt (but I have to use very small amounts) and I often feel like the foods I eat are teasteless and lack flavor because of that, so I eat mechanically like a robot and take no pleasure in eating which severely affect my mental health and make me feel depressed (also as someone pointed out on a social media, one of the reasons why so many poor people suffer from mental health issues like depression is because they can't afford spices and herbs and eat tastless foods that lack flavor all the time and can't take pleasure in eating and that she's seen that a lot in poor neighborhoods and she's been told by people in poverty how inhumane it is and that it was such a blessing that some food banks sometimes give poor people spices or herbs that people have donated, but oftentime, they don't even seasoning to add flavor to the foods they eat, so they feel like they eat nothing but bland foods and most of the time they have a hard time afording meat/proteins as well since meat is so much more expensive since the beginning of the pandemic).

So maybe a nutritionist can tell me what I can add to my foods to make it flavorful, les bland, less tasteless. I mean who wants to eat rice, potatoes, carrots, soups, even some types of meat like chicken and steak, etc, without any seasoning, herbs or spices, those things are practicly tasteless without seasoning. I'm desperately in need of an appointment when a nutritionist and I'll sure be glad when I get to talk to her about my problems. If someone can help with those problems it's a nutritionist.
I'm sorry to hear that. My partner had some bad GERD for a while but it worked itself out after some years? Cutting back on fried foods helped massively. My roommate also had an issue similar to yours where he needed surgery to repair his esophagus. I hope you can get some help, because acid reflux of any kind is the WORST. I can't stand the intense acid I get when I get stressed out. As for food seasonings, that's a different thread, but I would suggest also changing how you cook food, as using different aromatics & changing how it's cooked (stewed vs. baked for example) can help a lot. I have a very sensitive stomach, so I am actually one of those "doesn't eat food with a lot of seasonings" (or at all) types of people. I obviously prefer seasonings, but my stomach doesn't appreciate it. Anyway, mocha is good & my partner very much likes mocha coffee. I make it a lot with our blender & we have it iced that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom