• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Boss Battles

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The Zelda series has a lot of pretty memorable bosses out of it's numerous titles. Some of the battles are notorious for being very difficult, others have a reputation of being laughably easy.

I'm interested to find out what everyone considers stand out boss battles from the games: what is it about your favorite boss battles that make you hold them in high regard? Overall what do you look for in a boss battle that makes it enjoyable?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Can definitely second Koloktos. Using the boss's weapons against it is always satisfying.

Others would be WW Ganon final battle, Argorok, Monk Maz Koshia, Ghirahim, Demise, Stallord, as well as some others.

For me, a boss battle needs spectacle and challenge. It's the big bad of the area you just made your way through, so it needs to be grand, intimidating, and present a fair bit of challenge.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Of course koloktos, ghirahim, demise, WW Ganondorf, LttP ganon, helmasaur king, blind, and a few others are really good.

but to me the gold standard in Zelda bosses are Majora and odolwa. All of the bosses in MM were really good, but these two stand out as they don’t feel like giant monsters, they feel like true one-on-one fights, no holds barred, defeat them in any way possible.

I especially love the fierce deity aspect of the Majora fight. How if you go out of your way to collect every mask you get an item that makes Majora a pushover. I don’t use it though, because I’ve gotten so good at the game that I’d rather fight the harder way. In fact, I just recently beat all three phases of the fight without even using a sword or transformations (I talked about it in my blog). No other boss in the series is as good mechanically and atmospherically.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm not the biggest fan of SS, but the Koloktos battle is just so good! I remember having so much fun with that battle, extremely well designed, both having the puzzle element that most Zelda-bosses has, while also being very action oriented

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Twinmold!

It's such a giant, intimidating and awe-inspiring boss at first, but when you take on the giant's mask, they turn to little maggots and you can pwn them, but you always have to keep an eye on the magic meter. I always get a jolt of fear when it runs out and I'm in the middle of nowhere with these terrifying beasts again.

Stallord from Twilight Princess, using the Spinner to deck the creature by riding up the side of a giant column is really cool.

Phantom Ganon in Ocarina of Time, it's kind of eerie how he runs at you from different paintings and you need to shoot him as he's jumping out. And the energy volley attacks are arguably even harder then Ganondorf due to the closer range.

Onox was a nifty final boss in Oracle of Seasons, dodging his ball and chain in the first phase, using the Rod of Seasons to drive away Din's crystal prison, and when he becomes a giant dragon you have to jump on his hands to smack him with your sword. Pretty action packed.

Gyorg from Minish Cap, riding on the back of flying sting rays and leaping from one to the other, using the copy trick to damage it's eyes, it was pretty fun, and the boss music really gave it more of an impact.

Ghot from Majora's Mask, using the Goron Mask to roll after it, dodging boulders while you bash and grind into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom