• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite 2D Metroid Game (and why)

What's your favorite 2D Metroid Game?

• Metroid (NES)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I've been playing through my first run of Metroid Fusion, and I have to say, it's a lot of fun. It's no Super Metroid, but it's right up there with Metroid: Zero Mission. And now that I think about it, I know Super is my favorite 2D Metroid (I have it on my Top 5 games of all time), but I'm still on the fence on which I like better: Fusion or Zero.

Fusion
definitely gave me a sense of dread and it's probably the most intense of all of the games. But Zero has such refined controls and just "feels" better. I think Zero is probably a better game, but Fusion is a better story. So far at least.

I mean, I just got through the sequence where:

You can't escape the SA-X. The part where you have to freeze it and it chases you. Then, you have to battle your way through the plant area with all the stupid Ki Hunters, which have hatched now. Then, you have to fight the plant boss, which was hard at first because I didn't know how to kill it.

The SA-X (after successfully running from it) left me with 92 health. And I had to fight my way through Ki Hunters with that!!! It was SO intense.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I'm not big on metroid games at all, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy zero mission
this might be a bit unfair since it's the only 2d metroid I've played, but I don't know if I'll even get to the others so for now, definitely zero mission

It is, without a doubt or argument, Super Metroid. The game is a textbook example of how to incorporate open-ended level design with a sense of unknown exploration and slow progression via gradually empowering the player. It also was masterfully able to implement sequence breaking that was only available to the most skilled of players, giving it insane replay ability and speed run potential. It's number 3 on my favorite games of all time list.

Here's my full ranking:

1.) Super Metroid
2.) Zero Mission
3.) Fusion
4.) Metroid II: Return of Samus

I greatly enjoy all of them, honestly. Metroid II is old and clunky, but I still think it's okay in its own right given the time and hardware it was on.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I mean, Super Metroid is the best hands down.

It kind of just is.

However, Metroid Fusion was just as good, just in different ways.
The story of Fusion was just so amazing. From how it's excecuted in gameplay. Like, the SA-X was one of the scariest concepts, that didn't try to be scary. It was just completely natural. Also, gradually stepping out of the lines of Adam and the federation was amazing.

Fusion is what Metroid Other M should have been. I will leave it at that.

Fusion is what Metroid Other M should have been. I will leave it at that.

I'm interested in what you mean by that. I'm assuming it's from a story telling perspective rather than a gameplay one?

Other M obviously takes a great deal of gameplay inspiration from Fusion and incorporates it loosely with the Prime trilogy.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'm interested in what you mean by that. I'm assuming it's from a story telling perspective rather than a gameplay one?

Other M obviously takes a great deal of gameplay inspiration from Fusion and incorporates it loosely with the Prime trilogy.
Both.

Metroid Fusion just did everything way better.

What other M did was it took away the great feeling of exploration and reward in itself. Being told to us what weapons to use was just stupid.

However, Metroid Fusion does this correctly. They give actual reasons as to why you are dependent on the Federation and their weapons.

Both tried to give Samus her own voice, and have backstory... But Metroid Fusion made her a badass with a mysterious past that you want to know better. MOM.... Well it didn't do it at all.

The biggest thing though, is that Metroid Fusion kept its exploration elements truly unique. At first, you were at the mercy of the NAV computer, Adam. You had to follow his will, but gradually, the player gets to start disobeying. Exploring uncharted territory, and going against the computers will.

This is what made the game's exploration feel so natural despite being largely linear. You are largely not only working against the SAX, but the federation as well.

The Gameplay in Other M was passable though. I can attest to that. However, it is still extremely clunky, even compared to Metroid Fusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom