• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favirote RPG?

i'm just getting into RPG's and i'm starting with the Mother series and i'm liking what i see so far, though i didn't get very far yet cause i'm still very unfamiior with the greatest tips of an RPG, the only thing i'm aware of is level grinding

Kafei

M.E.T.H.O.D. MAN
probably going to have to say Fable II becuase of how you develop your own character in your own way, like every gamer's character is different.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I'm an old school kind of guy, so I'd say Final Fantasy IV (II in its original American release). It's got some brilliant moments (the ending, among them) and has one of the simplest but most effective stories in an RPG.

Themes like redemtion, which is a common theme of the plot, make it relatable by alluding to the hero's wish to right his wrongs. Not only him, but the sorrounding characters do, too. That is something a lot of people can relate to.

If I had to name a flaw, though, It'd be the fact that...

It has the same villain problem as Twilight Princess does, if you get what I mean.

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
Easily Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It. Is. Awesome. I love the Mario series and love RPGs, so putting them together made my life perfect. The orginal lacked puzzles and a good central game. The second improved not only graphics but gameplay and fighting. I love the dungeons in RPGs like Zelda. If anything the best RPGs ever created were Fable II and PM2(refer to the beginning of my post). WoW and Runescape are too addicting and drag you into a fantasy world. I don't like that in a RPG game. I think very few RPGs have actually hit a homerun(made a good RPG).

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Jade Cocoon, the first game.
I just personally liked the story they were going for and some of the game mechanics.

One game mechanic I really liked was the idea that, while it had a similar team system to pokémon, you ideally had to merge different minions to create a stable team of three. It felt like almost like a bonus challenge to the actual game in my opinion.

I would have liked to see more of the animated cutscenes though, if only to show off the character designs a little more.

I hate playing favorites. I'll list off some of my faves:
Final Fantasy IV- This is the first Final Fantasy game that I was able to get used to. The original was difficult beyond comprehension, the second one was kinda odd for me, and I never played the third one. This game introduced traditional MP (as far as I know), along with a grand soundtrack composed by Nobuo Uematsu, vivid and colorful graphics, a captivating medieval fantasy story, and a flawless battle system.
Final Fantasy VI- There are no words that described how awesome this game is. This game had one of the greatest soundtracks in the whole series, and introduced a steampunk plot that was a breath of fresh air from classical medieval fantasy settings. This game also had more characters that any other Final Fantasy game; you could play using up to 12 different characters, all of which had their own unique weapons, classes, and skills. And if it isn't obvious, my favorite character is not one of those 12... in fact, he is deadset on destroying them, along with the whole world!
He succeeds in destroying the latter.
The Espers and Relics also gave characters potential far beyond anything they would accomplish without them (attack eight times in a row, casting two spells at once, etc.)
Final Fantasy VII- This game is often considered the best game of ALL TIME. And y'know what, it just might be. This 3-disc epic follows the adventures of an ex-soldier, Mr. T with a machine gun for an arm, a martial artist that owns a bar, and several other unique characters. Unlike the past Final Fantays games, this game takes place not in a fantasy medieval world, not a steampunk world, but a SciFi future world! In '97 when this came out, this was revolutionary. What made this game great was the Materia system. Characters could no longer learn spells by level-up, and thus had to equip themselves with strange crystals called 'Materia' which allowed them to cast fire spells, summon giant monsters, mimic the enemy's skills, and attack 4 times in a row. But what REALLY made this game great was the Limit Break system. Every time your character gets hit, their Limit Gauge increases. Once the gauge is full, their 'Attack' command is replaced with 'Limit' which allows them to use attacks with increased power, such as 'Dragon Dive', 'Catastrophe', 'Gauntlet', and the ultimate 'Omnislash'. Did I mention Materia and Limit Breaks could be leveled up individually? So if you want a good long JRPG, definitely play Final Fantasy VII.
Dragon Warrior III- To me, the DW series has always been a bit bland. With this game, such is not the case. You had a party of four, three of which were customizable, with the traditional classes:
Soldier (traditional armor-clad warrior), Fighter (martial-artist), Wizard (black magician), Cleric (healer), Merchant (money-maker), Goof-Off (uncontrollable maniac), and the ever-powerful Sage (omnimagical wizard). The weapons are also more diverse, expanding beyond swords and spears, to axes, whips, and boomerangs. Certain weapons could also be used as items in battle, allowing for special effects to disable and impair enemies. Oh, and you know those status spells that were useless in Final Fantasy because they rarely work on bosses? Those are in this game, but they work on EVERY enemy and EVERY boss with few exceptions.
Phantasy Star II- This is another traditional JRPG. On steroids. This game introduced the SciFi genre to JRPGs long before Final Fantasy VII came about. It's a shame this game didn't get as much recognition. In this game, you were able to equip guns, poles, swords, and knives, and did another thing that Final Fantasy VII did several years later:
Kill off a main character
Honorable mentions (because this post is long enough):
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Chrono Trigger
Soul Blazer
Lunar
Ys: Books 1 & 2

Runescape. It is as good as most console rpg's and has a long playthrough time even for non members. I find that it is very underated.

My favorite RPG is Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (1 & 2)
This is the only RPG I have played and it is great.

While I was playing the game, I came across this character and I thought his name was something else.
SWKotOR screenshot
I guess you can guess what I thought his name was.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom