• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Faster Sailing

Is there any way to sail faster instead of just having the sail out and waiting?

I've noticed that some people tend to put the sail away and quickly bring it out again while sailing. Does this actually make you go faster, or is it just for show?

Kybyrian

There is nothing to help you sail faster, the only way to sail quickly is to change the wind to the direction you are going, and pull out the sail. I'm pretty sure pulling the sail out over and over again isn't going to do anything, though I may be wrong. It kind of does seem that you get a quick boost right away as you pull it out, but I'm not for sure...

Last edited:
F

Falcool

Very true what Majora16 says, after the third dungeon, you can warp after all, then you don't need to sail faster.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
The people putting it away and bringing it back out are likely trying to sail against the wind. This can be done by taking out the sail and sailing with the wind, then, once you have momentum, quickly putting the sail away and turning. Doing this repeatedly will allow you to make progress even if the wind is blowing against you.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
You can learn on song on your baton once you obtain the arrows and can shoot down the frog that is in the tornado that throws you off course. That's the only faster way you can sail. Taking the sail in and out doesn't make you move faster at all.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Use the warp points if you want to get to places quicker, that's what I did. And before that, I simply set the wind in the right direction and let the sail do its thing.

J

Jaakin

I've timed it, taking it out and putting it back does make a difference, but you have to do it kind of weirdly...

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
No putting it away and taking it back out DOES make it go faster, but only slightly. You see, the wind gives the sail a burst for about a second, then you travel at normal speed. You can tell, as if you look at the sail when you take it out, it is pushed out farther than normal... But this only works when you're traveling WITH the wind.

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
The sailing technique for what I recall made you go fast by say 10% or 20% its hard for me to say but it help me out
when I tried the same distance with the sail out all the time

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Warping is the fastest way to travel across the Great Sea, but you can only get it after completing about half the game (after the Tower of the Gods).

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I actually tested this out. I found these baselines:
Say your destination is directly north of you, and it is precisely one screen away, 1000 of the units displayed on the map.
Here's the times it would take to complete this trip based on the wind direction assuming you are travelling straight north.
Wind is:
  • North - 60 seconds
  • Northwest/Northeast - 70 seconds
  • West/East - 80 seconds
  • Southwest/Southeast - 200 seconds
  • South - Never
South direction is assuming you do not push forward on the control stick. If we assume that the units given on the map are meters, then you can translate these times into common ship speeds: 32.4 knots, 27.8 knots, 24.3 knots, and 9.3 knots. Which are actually are reasonably realistic for a boat that size. If the units are in yards, which I doubt, they'd still be roughly the same.

To get these times I used a timer and the Tingle Tuner map to see exactly when I crossed the section. I wasn't able to test this with the quick sail thing though because I couldn't do the trick, and watch the Tingle Tuner, and the timer at the same time. But if you can cross a section in less than 60 seconds while doing the trick then you know it works. If it's the same or more then you know it didn't work. So that should help.

I believe I remember a code on this site

http://www.bsfree.org/?s=17&d=6&g=6511

You could just use the one code and no others if you are worried about cheating too much. But I think I remember seeing a code there for that. But you need a Action Replay for Gamecube to use it.

Ok I looked through the codes here is the code you would want

Press D - Down to make the boat go super fast. I am pretty sure D is talking about the up, down, left, right direction thing that looks like a snes controller. Not the analog stick but the other direction pad.

GK9E-JWBQ-M0D1U
HK1V-V5U2-835U6
JJQM-JZA8-57DRM

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom