• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fast Growing Forest or Moveable Temple

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I thought this thread was about a new dungeon idea. Imagine a dungeon where time moves really fast for every living thing native to it, so trees can pop up and fall over with a matter of seconds. This would add a dynamic time element to the structure of the dungeon.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Here's what I've noticed playing through the games consecutively-

I've managed to almost conclusively say there's 3 Temples of Time (including the second one from SS), and there's some pretty important details to note about each Temple. There's also enough evidence to strongly support that the Sanctuary from ALttP is in fact a Temple of Time, based on their function we learn in SS and the facts we know about the ALttP Sanctuary, as well as it's architecture and symbolism.

I'll refer to the first one as Temple L- for Lanayru.

Temple L has very similar history to the second temple- Temple F, for Faron.

It is apparently constructed to be one of a pair, according to information we see in the Fire Sanctuary, which gives the implication that it's function is similar or indeed the same as Temple F, a function I will explain when we get to Temple F. As for the ultimate fate of this Temple, some speculate it is eventually repurposed by the Gerudo into their fortress, given what was left was mostly destroyed by Impa, but I'm on the fence about that particular theory.

Temple F is, by all accounts, the temple we see in EVERY game except for OoT and WW. At least, as far as the Master Sword's resting place is concerned. And ALBW gives us some insight as to why the OoT temple- which I will call Temple C, for Castle (or Castle Town)- was built and why the Master Sword was moved there. With a bit of reasoning, we can also infer why the sword was moved back to Temple F from TP's backstory and Ganondorf's invasion.

Let me start with the two most important and defining aspects of Temple F-

latest
The first is the perpetual ray of light; we see this in both SS's back room, TP, ALttP, and in-game ALBW (note that the Boxart for ALBW doesn't seem to accurately portray the in-game sacred grove- strictly speaking neither does this because it lacks the stairs, but the ray of light is significant enough to be shown in game outside of ALttP). The important detail here is that it is always at a diagonal angle in Temple F. TP and OoT both seem to imply this isn't mere coincidence, but rather is due to the architecture- the light is always cast and magnified by windows in those two games, with TP having the window still somewhat intact in the present era and casting the light ray. SS somewhat implies this may be a divine light due to Hylia once resting in this spot. While on the subject, TP's past-era temple also has 3 windows, and SS has no windows- it instead seems to be a skylight. Worthy of note is that the angle changes in SS- past era, it is straight down, but present era the light is coming in at the same angle as in chronologically later games.

This is one of several important contrasts to OoT, which I will get to in a moment.

The second is the Pedestal of Time itself- in SS, TP, ALttP, and ALBW, it has Hylian words engraved onto the pedestal. They're almost never consistent- and this may be due to the Master Sword itself attempting to communicate given that the Grove's location is lost to even the sages come ALttP, leaving no one else to really change the words or dialect- but the fact remains legible Hylian characters are written on the pedestal in these games. In addition, the platform surrounding the pedestal has a shape distinct from the shape it has in OoT.

A more minor note, and something that only concerns connecting SS to TP and no other games, is the room in SS containing the Tree of Life. In present TP, the area where Wolf Link first fights skull kid corresponds to the Life Tree chamber, down to how he enters the temple proper. It's a pretty strong connection, but only concerns SS>TP.

Now, the major details concerning Temple C-

The perpetual ray of light is not at a diagonal angle, nor are there 3 windows- it is at an angle perpenicular to the sword.

Note the angle of the light here

This contrasts literally every other game except for Wind Waker.

In addition, there's the Pedestal of Time itself- in both OoT and WW, it lacks Hylian Writing and simply has a Triforce.

Add this to the fact OoT's ToT is neither in a forest nor does it have many other features both the SS and TP temples have, and I think it's safe to conclude another Temple wasn't built prior to TP- instead, a Temple was built prior to OoT and was abandoned shortly thereafter (except in the Adult Timeline, where Hyrule Castle was instead rebuilt on top of Temple C)

The question then becomes why did they make Temple C, and why did they later abandon it.

Luckily, we can infer answers for both from ALBW and TP, respectively.

ALBW's intro offers us this:
"There is a legend oft told in Hyrule Kingdom... It is the legend of the Triforce, once kept within Hyrule itself. Said to be a gift of the gods, the Triforce could grant a wish of all those who touched it. So of course, many wanted to get their hands on it. Wars were fought for the Triforce. The Royal Family summoned the Seven Sages, who sealed the Triforce in the sacred realm. But a thief of notorious repute broke into the Sacred Realm and claimed the Triforce.

The important details are that it seems to clearly allude to directly after Post SS, with the Sages somehow sealing the Triforce away. A time jump then occurs, Ganon breaks said seal, and this pops off the Imprisoning War. (It should be noted the way the Japanese version words it, as well as the descriptions of Ganon, seem to indicate that at no point does ALBW actually refer to OoT's plot, instead acting almost like OoT didn't happen, as far as I've been able to read into the Japanese version's script. Sahashrala's speech later on seems to confirm this act of Ganon is the start of the Imprisoning War and not the events of OoT, with certain key facts about Ganon stated in ALBW going so far to preclude it from even being the same person, but I digress).

From OoT-
"Ages ago, we ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the entrance to the Sacred Realm..." — Rauru
"So, the ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the Triforce from evil ones." — Princess Zelda

OoT seems to emphasize that the Temple of Time was built SPECIFICALLY to protect the Triforce and BY THE SAGES- It has multiple arcitectural differences with the SS Temple, so i can safely conclude that Temple C was constructed after wars were fought over the Triforce, following the events of SS where the Royal Family seemingly used it freely to found Hyrule. Why put it in such a publicly accessable location then?

Because it goes hand-in-hand with the perhaps main function of the Temples we learn in SS- places of worship for the Goddess Hylia's devotees. By having the temple in such a central location as Castle Town, the masses could easily sing praises to the Goddess Hylia.

But that also lets people like Ganondorf assassinate the king and trick kids into pulling the Master Sword for him.

In the child ending, it's safe to say the sages knew how bad of an idea leaving the Sacred Realm's entrance in such a public location was, irregardless of the noble and divine intentions behind making it publicly available. So, in a rare example of reason before honor/virtue, it's safe to say the Sages moved both the entrance to the sacred realm and the Master Sword back to Temple F- renovating it into it's past-TP state. This is possibly when TP Link goes back to for Dungeon 6, which by all accounts seems to lead into the Temple of Light itself. Cue the whole bull**** with the Triforce splitting that people still debate, and eventually the Sages don't seem to even like the idea of it being secluded- we can infer from both FSA's ending and ALttP that Hyrule Castle is the main entrance to the sacred realm by this point, given the implications of those two games, it seems the Sages separated the Master Sword from being a key to the sacred realm and instead made Hyrule Castle the entrance-perhaps the idea is to heavily guard it, and it does go hand-in-hand with the Royal Family being particularly clingy with the Triforce throughout the series (read: SS, OoT, WW, FSA, OoX, ALBW, and most EGREGIOUSLY the NES games). It would also explain why the MS doesn't open the sacred realm in any game except OoT.

So, we have a reason to make Temple C inferred from ALBW/SS, and a reason to abandon the temple inferred from TP's backstory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom