• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Farore's Wind: Useless?

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
I played OoT a lot of times, but I never used farores wind. I think I collected it once, but now I don't care of getting it anymore (and I can't remember where I could find the fairy fountain). I never used Nayru's love either, but since it can protect you from enemy attacks, it isn't as useless as Farore's wind.
Yeah, although I was talking about how good it is to use in certain parts of the game (mainly the Water Temple) it is not really a MUST HAVE/ILL DIE item but it is good for shortcuts.

With Nayru's Love, it is really helpful while battling Iron Nuckle because you are able to kill him without losing lives and the fight is over just when the spell runs out (depending on your skill with fighting him, of course).

So basically Nayru's Love is helpful for hard enemies. And is helpful when you are on a quarter of a life left, no fairies and you are battling Ganon, then it's really helpful! :P

Now, let's talk about Din's Fire... Is it useless?

No, DIN'S FIRE RULES! :lol:

That's the only magic spell (including the magic arrows) that are useful. Apart from the Light Arrows that you use in Ganon's Tower but i'm talking about daily basis. :D

This is a very useless item. The only one time when I find it usefull is for a gold skulltula in the Great Deku Tree. THe one when you need the boomerang, and bombs. I use it at the entrance, go snag the token, than warp back. Thats the only time when i ever use it.

Kybyrian

I only used it once through all of my playthroughs, mainly just to see if it could be useful anywhere or not. I used it at the Ice Cavern over near Jabu Jabu. I never used it after that, because I never saw a particular use for it. I did always pick it up, however.

Waker of winds

Finally playing PH!
I also use it When I'm at the Fire Temple to prevent falling like a lot of you guys, but it's the only place where I use it now that I think about it.

I never thought about using it the Water Temple to cut time, thanks guys!

I... think that It could be of use for me, but I always forget to use it, and then I have to assume the consecuences:sweat:, like having a game over with DarkLink because I didn't had enough fairies:dry:.

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
Mainly the only use was if you didn't have any back-up faries and were low on health and you needed to get out fast that's when it was useful to me:thinking:. Also when you just don't want to play and make sure you don't have to go a long way to go back to the dungeon to complete it.

Qwerty0805

Pixelated Sword Member
I usually use right before parts where I might die (bosses, tough enemies, ect.), or where I might get sent back to another part of the dungeon (Wallmaster rooms, the Megaton Hammer room, ect.). But other than that it is pretty useless.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I played OoT a lot of times, but I never used farores wind. I think I collected it once, but now I don't care of getting it anymore (and I can't remember where I could find the fairy fountain). I never used Nayru's love either, but since it can protect you from enemy attacks, it isn't as useless as Farore's wind.

I usually use Nayru's love on the Iron Knuckles--they're tough enemies!

Farore's Wind, however, I've only used once or twice. I don't think it's useless, I just think that 1) either people play through the dungeons from beginning to end, 2) people don't find it to be much of an inconvenience to backtrack or 3) the dungeons are so well-designed that Farore's Wind usually isn't necessary.

One of the ingenious elements of OoT's dungeons is how closely packed everything is. The dungeons can be massive, but (and this is especially true of the Forest and Water Temples) most areas are conveniently placed. Bosses are usually only a few steps away, doors open to reveal areas in the dungeon you visited earlier, etc. It is good design that makes Farore's Wind less useful than it would otherwise be.

I've used it a few times. I find it extremely useful if you know how to use it.

In Dungeons where there's one main room that you come back to often, it shaves a bit of time off traveling.

Other times are in dungeons that it would be nice to leave the dungeon to go buy some stuff. I do that for dungeons that don't have the main room, just put it at the dungeon's entrance just in case. I rarely go back, but I put it there just in case.

I use it in the Shadow Temple, I put it at the entrance, get the Hover Boots and leave. I like doing the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple. The Spirit Temple is waay more fun :)

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i use it quite a bit. I use it in the fire temple so if i fall i can warp back up and i use it in that one room in the forest temple where you have to backtrack to get the last key so that i can just warp back to the door instead of walking through the entire area.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I like to use it twice in the Forest Temple .. both times right before the first twisted hallway. It's not totally necessary but it does save a pretty decent deal of backtracking to untwist then retwist the hallway to get all the keys and whatnot in that area.

Occasionally I use it in the Shadow Temple near the start when I first enter the little mini-maze rooms that lead to the map & hover boots, once again just to save a little time, but more often than not I don't bother.

Last edited:

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
Eh, I just charge through the dungeons. If I have to backtrack, I'll usually stumble upon a room that I haven't been in yet or find an un-opened treasure chest I missed.
Though I think I used it in Shadow Temple a few times since I had no idea where I was going.
Otherwise, I don't really use it as much as Din's Fire or Nayru's Love (which totally saved me in the iron knuckle battles, and the final showdown with Ganon)/

Ive never really made much of a good use of it, cause it uses quite a bit of magic, and i like using Oocoo in TP better cause you dont use magic, and i just like it better for some reason.:xd: Oh and by the way, it doesnt take a long time to get to the platform to Hookshot the Colossus. As long as you activated the elevator thing with the Megaton Hammer, you can use the elevator thingy (in first room of Spirit Temple) to ride up to a hallway that leads to the ground floor of the Colossus then you can hookshot the chains on the platform to get up there. Saves magic. And that was off topic.:lol:

Austin

Austin
I can recall using it once to some advantage. I was in the Water Temple and I came across a locked door. I knew that the key would be back in that central room, so rather than run all the way there, and then run all the way back, I cast Farore's Wind. Ran back and got the key, then cast the spell again and I was right in front of the door. I managed to avoid a potential headache, so I'd say that it does have its uses, however scarce they may be.

I found it to be pretty useful. Like if you die, you can use it to quickly get back to the room you were in instead of walking all the way back there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom