• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fantasy/Sci-Fi Combination in the Zelda Series

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I am aware that many people are afeared to death of Zelda becoming a Sci-Fi game, which is understandable because people came for fantasy or what have you. But what if Zelda was a fantasy game with Sci-Fi elements? Think of Final Fantasy. Recent titles have featured a perfect balance between fantasy and sci-fi elements. Neither one overshadowed the other. How would you feel if Zelda took this sort of direction? What sort of Sci-Fi things would you want to see?

Reactions: Dio

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd have to have link eventually get some decent damned armor. I mean my god chain mail clearly won't work in electric based dungeon buuuut no link just wanders on in there like the lunk he really is.

Also Ganon would need laser horns and a flamethrower mounted on his shoulder for this to work.

David

But you called me here...
Well, if you mean sci-fi to be futuristic elements, it could work. I would be a bit against it at first, but if the execution is done well, I may just love it.

Zelda is, generally, a fantasy game with few technological advances (with some major exceptions--the hookshot is still a scientific mystery). It allows a certain atmosphere that all can recognize, and as such I believe that it should stay that way.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
The Zelda series is already a fantasy with sci-fi elements. Zelda falls into a genre of speculative fiction called Slipstream; it's a mixture of all sorts of fantasy (European, Asian, high/heroic, epic, sword & sorcery, magical realism) and some science fiction (mostly steampunk with Twilight Zone-esque parallel realities).

But if what OP's referring to are more space operatic elements, with space travel involved, and mech suits, and rockets, and laser guns, and so on, then I personally would oppose such a transition.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I am aware that many people are afeared to death of Zelda becoming a Sci-Fi game, which is understandable because people came for fantasy or what have you. But what if Zelda was a fantasy game with Sci-Fi elements? Think of Final Fantasy. Recent titles have featured a perfect balance between fantasy and sci-fi elements. Neither one overshadowed the other. How would you feel if Zelda took this sort of direction? What sort of Sci-Fi things would you want to see?

I'm all for cyberpunk in Zelda, we have had steampunk and medieval fantasy and desolate post apocalyptic wasteland. Zelda is not like FF in the sense it is set in many different separate universes, one being futuristic, one more primitive e.t.c, however hyrule can be all those things just at different points in time. It's simply evolution and progression. Technology improves with time, that's just how it works. I am all for seeing a more futuristic hyrule with cyberpunk and elements of sci fi. It's no good saying Zelda is purely this of it must be that. It's been styled more realistically, it has had a wacky toon style, it's taken on a painterly look, Nintendo haven't minded upsetting fans who were rigid in their expectations before. It can be anything it wants, so long as the core Zelda gameplay is there. it doesn't matter if there are robots or aliens, so long as Link is saving the day with his sword and shield, exploring and fighting then it's fine with me putting him in pretty much any setting.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I'm seeing it. It could be a cool game. Maybe not an official title, though, like Hyrule Warriors. I can totally see a post-apocalyptic-esque world.. as in after all buildings and civilization has been destroyed, nature has taken hold again and Hyrule Field is still an actual field and everything generally about the layout of the world is the same but, to traverse that world, Link rides a futuristic motorcycle like the ones in Tron or something instead of a horse.

I don't particularly like the idea of anything like a lightsaber. I feel like Link should still have a real sword. Maybe it's just that it can be stored in a very small space and then he clicks a button and it expands out into a sword.
...Dunno. It'd be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom