• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fantastic Beasts 2

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
landscape-1510842200-fantastic-beasts-first-look-image-1.jpg

So they recently released a cast photo for Fantastic Beasts 2. Also the subtitle has been revealed to be 'The Crimes of Grindelwald' Looks like a lot of returning faces from the first film and of course we have Jude Law joining as Dumbledore.

I like anything Harry Potter related and thought the first Fantastic Beasts was even better than a few of the original HP films. So definitely looking forward to this sequel and it can't come soon enough in my eyes.

Are you looking forward to Fantastic Beasts 2 and what do you think of the subtitle?

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I wasn't very impressed with the first one, but Jude Law as Dumbledore seems like a must watch.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Are you looking forward to Fantastic Beasts 2 and what do you think of the subtitle?
I have very mixed feelings about subtitles in general, but I'm not a fan of this one for a couple of reasons.

First, it's very blunt. 'The Crimes of Grindlewald'. Ok. It sounds so flat and dull. It reeks of 'set-up', as though this film only exists to establish plot points for later films. I know it technically does since they've already got three more films planned, but advertising that fact is a turn-off. It sounds like a necessary chore, not an exciting film in its own right.

Second, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is going to work less and less as this series goes on and the focus shifts from Newt to Dumbledore. The main title being less appropriate compounds on the off-putting nature of the subtitle. 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2: The Crimes of Grindlewald' is a terrible title to me. It makes me think of fanfiction and sours my initial disposition to the film.

As for the film generally... eeehh. I'm going to see it, and will probably enjoy most of it, but I wouldn't say I'm excited. The first movie was a very mixed bag. It lacked focus, the plot wasn't engaging, most of the characters weren't interesting, and the tone was an utter mess. There were individual scenes that were so bad I was kind of stunned to watch them, and the ending was so convenient that the film lost me right when it was supposed to have me in the palm of its hand.

Also, Ron Perlman was a goblin but they did him in CGI instead of extensive makeup and prosthetics. They had a perfect chance to put a big rubber nose on Ron Perlman and they threw it away. Unforgivable. 0/10. Cancel the franchise.

It was clear at every moment that this is the first time Rowling has written for screen, and that's not a good thing. The film was so rough and disjointed that I'm surprised the script didn't get at least a once over from a professional script doctor. Maybe it did and they just deferred to Rowling. Some supervision or collaboration on the script would have done wonders to make the film much better than it was.

I don't like the casting of Jude Law and Johnny Depp as Dumbledore and Grindlewald. Flat out think both choices are bad and will hamper my enjoyment. Jude Law is a decent actor but I don't feel he's right for Dumbledore. Johnny Depp is a flat out bad actor who I earnestly believe is only popular because goth girls will go insane over a handsome man in eyeliner. Grindlewald looks terrible and is being played by a bad actor, so the film has an uphill struggle to make me care about the villain of this entire franchise. Maybe that's not fair, but that's the case for me.

All that said, this is take two. Rowling might have learnt a thing or two about screenwriting, the story might be more focused with a specifically defined antagonist, maybe it'll be better. Fantastic Beasts lacked what made Harry Potter special to me, but it was nowhere near as bad as Cursed Child. My expectations certainly aren't high, but they're not particularly low, either.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The title seems really generic, and it doesn't catch my attention. That's the first thing I noticed.

I enjoyed the first film for the most part, aside from the ending since it felt shoehorned in. I like Johnny Depp, but I'm not too happy with his casting, as I don't think he's right for the role at all. Who knows though, he could surprise us. I liked Colin Farrell in the first film, can we bring him back pls.

I do like the casting of Jude Law as Dumbledore. Jude Law is a great actor, and I actually can see him in that role.

My main fear, though, is that it's gonna be just another rather generic 2 1/2 hours of world building like Fantastic Beasts was. I think it's fair to say the duel with Grindelwald is probably going to be the climax of the 5-film franchise (although you never know, they could do it in the third film seeing as it was originally supposed to be a trilogy). Mostly, my worry is that there's going to be 4 films of buildup before we get into real action, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, I'll definitely see this film, and all its sequels, I'm just not sure how I feel about the title or Grindelwald's casting.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I still think Johnny Depp as Grindelwald is weird, but whatever. I have no idea who Jude Law is and I don't feel like googling him, so I cant speak on that. The first film was pretty good, at least I thought so, and I'm probably gonna see the second one. I share @Cfrock's concerns about the title, I think its unnecessarily long and dull. We'll see how it turns out.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
The title seems really generic, and it doesn't catch my attention. That's the first thing I noticed.

I enjoyed the first film for the most part, aside from the ending since it felt shoehorned in. I like Johnny Depp, but I'm not too happy with his casting, as I don't think he's right for the role at all. Who knows though, he could surprise us. I liked Colin Farrell in the first film, can we bring him back pls.

I do like the casting of Jude Law as Dumbledore. Jude Law is a great actor, and I actually can see him in that role.

My main fear, though, is that it's gonna be just another rather generic 2 1/2 hours of world building like Fantastic Beasts was. I think it's fair to say the duel with Grindelwald is probably going to be the climax of the 5-film franchise (although you never know, they could do it in the third film seeing as it was originally supposed to be a trilogy). Mostly, my worry is that there's going to be 4 films of buildup before we get into real action, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, I'll definitely see this film, and all its sequels, I'm just not sure how I feel about the title or Grindelwald's casting.

I have to say that I agree with this. I love Johnny Depp, but this particular role just isn't him. I'm used to seeing him play these very quirky characters, and to see him as this dark, mysterious villain just doesn't work for me.

I'm expecting more world building as well and not enough action or character development. However, I'm hopeful that it will be good, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, because I loved the first film (despite the ending) and I love the world of Harry Potter. ^^

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I still think Johnny Depp as Grindelwald is weird, but whatever. I have no idea who Jude Law is and I don't feel like googling him, so I cant speak on that. The first film was pretty good, at least I thought so, and I'm probably gonna see the second one. I share @Cfrock's concerns about the title, I think its unnecessarily long and dull. We'll see how it turns out.
Did the see the terrible A Series of Unfortunate Events film from almost 15 years ago? He played the role of Lemony Snicket (the narrator). I'm happy with Jude Law's casting in this film. I'm not sure Ewan McGregor has the right voice for it, as much as I love him. When I imagine Dumbledore becoming old and sounding like Richard Harris, I think Jude Law is better for that, although Ewan McGregor would be good if they were going for Michael Gambon Dumbledore. If any of that makes sense.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Did the see the terrible A Series of Unfortunate Events film from almost 15 years ago? He played the role of Lemony Snicket (the narrator). I'm happy with Jude Law's casting in this film. I'm not sure Ewan McGregor has the right voice for it, as much as I love him. When I imagine Dumbledore becoming old and sounding like Richard Harris, I think Jude Law is better for that, although Ewan McGregor would be good if they were going for Michael Gambon Dumbledore. If any of that makes sense.
A series of Unfortunate Events was a good film!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom