• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Familiarity and theory

When a new game comes out that we know nothing about we go into overdrive and come up with some weird, wild and wonderful stuff.

But with botw having a story expansion we're in a unique place where theory is concerned.

We know about BotW. We know its world, its characters and the status quo of the narrative. This gives us a construct, borders in which to work within for new theories.

So the question is this; do you prefer knowing nothing about the game and going wild with theory, or do you like having the restraints of what we know we can and cant do within the narrative now that we know the rules?

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I like to see the game. Take a look at what is familiar, what races are there ,the landscape, the characters e.t.c and listen to what the director says. Then from that I like to speculate on where the game can go in the timeline and where it fits in with the rest of the series.

I think knowing outright is less fun than having a mystery to try to solve.

Also knowing something is a prequel like Suckward Sword, it builds expectations. If they had just not told us I don't think I would have been as pissed off about the game as I was when it was made out to be this great reveal all prequel.

funnier6

Courage~
I don't really, I have ideas running around in my head but I never expect any of them to actually be true, and they're usually not.

How many theorists actually theorize correctly anyway? I'd rather not worry too much about it and let the game do the telling. Though of course with a new game coming out you can't help but wonder what it'll be like.

I personally like coming up with wild theories even if they are not true. Like @Deus said, it's more fun to have a mystery to solve and giving my own answer to that mystery is the fun part of making theories. Knowing something beforehand limits a little bit your creativity, but it lays a groundwork and with it your theories might be more realistic.
But in the end I prefer the game to do the telling, see what the developers really intended and compare it with what I had in mind, see what I got right and what I got wrong.

Reactions: Dio

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I usually like to jump right into the game, unaware of the plot, and form my own theories and opinions. Then I like to read about what the creators say about it after I complete the game.

Nothing is ever completly answered though, which can be both good and bad. Good because more theorizing, and bad because all these unanswered questions are driving me crazy! :P

I like basing my views on facts and evidence. I generally trust my own interpretations over external ones, if no canonical explanation exists for something. I tend to either dislike, disregard, or dispise theorycraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom