• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fallout 76

Dan

I think the problem is people want two different games almost. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and 4. Fallout 3 was the first Fallout I played in fact. Going back and playing the first two games was a chore at first but once you get over the beginning hurdle they are fantastic games. When I said the writing is good I didn't mean the story itself so much as the writing that goes into the characters. The dialog options in the first two games were great, and the sarcasm was witty as ****.

The original games and Vegas made your choices carry far more weight. Hell setting your intellect at 1 in the first game resulted in you literally being ********.

Fallout 4 tossed away player choice and the multiple map approaches to a quest. The protagonist is also more of a goody little two shoes which I hated. Very few skill checks and persuade skill checks were horrible, I came across quite a few yellow persuade dialogs that would lead into orange straight after then to red, pointless. Fallout 4s factions aren't as fleshed out either which is a shame. In previous games you were given a major understanding.

My biggest fear is 76 is going to further strip away elements and lore to make it more appealing to a wider audience. We'll see what is revealed at e3.

That about sums up my feelings as well. Fallout 3 and 4 are good games, there's no denying that there's a ton of fun to be had with them for a wide variety of players. But they fall short of being good Fallout games, when held to the standards of the originals. Some of that classic wit and charm is still there but as a whole it feels like they miss the mark. Not entirely, but we're talking middle rings at best.

When it comes to 76 I feel like I could forgive a fair bit of dumbing down if they return to the dialogue system of 3 and NV. I'm sure they won't, though, and that's a damn shame. The voiced protagonist+max four dialogue options did more to widen the gap between classic and modern Fallout than all of 3's changes combined (save, perhaps, the leap from 2d to 3d). It hampers the writing and restricts player agency which were two of the most integral aspects of the series' identity.

Edit: Need to throw my hatred for 4's factions on the tire fire. The only way they could be more lazily written is if they had let a cat walk across the keyboard for a few days and called it good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14134

DfYJWT7X4AU1JHE.jpg:large

Tristan confirmed.

I nearly cried and burst a vein in anger simultaneously when I watched the E3 videos. The gameplay looks so much like AAA shooters that I have zero interest in playing this game. I still want to experience it for the lore but from what I've seen I doubt I'll enjoy actually playing it. Maybe I'll watch a let's play or just delve the wikis to see what it offers from a lore perspective.

Reactions: Dan
I was really hoping the rumors of a pubg/fortnite style Fallout game were going to be untrue, but I'll give it a chance. Still was really wanting Bethesda to announce that Obsidian was going to be doing the next Fallout. After the lackluster spectacle that was Fallout 4, we really need a "New Vegas 2" to cleanse the pallet again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Dan

I nearly cried and burst a vein in anger simultaneously when I watched the E3 videos. The gameplay looks so much like AAA shooters that I have zero interest in playing this game. I still want to experience it for the lore but from what I've seen I doubt I'll enjoy actually playing it. Maybe I'll watch a let's play or just delve the wikis to see what it offers from a lore perspective.

I was really hoping the rumors of a pubg/fortnite style Fallout game were going to be untrue, but I'll give it a chance. Still was really waiting Bethesda to announce that Obsidian was going to be doing the next Fallout. After the lackluster spectacle that was Fallout 4, we really need a "New Vegas 2" to cleanse the pallet again.

Sorry guys, she's dead.

On the plus side this large fan mod that serves as an unofficial sequel to new Vegas is nearing completion.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I wanna be the wasteland hobo, like from Fallout 3. I’m going to sit outside of big towns and beg online players for water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom