• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fairy Girl Powering the Sword: Not So Original

While playing through Twilight Princess for a second time, I noticed that, when obtaining the Gale Boomerang from the Forest Temple, a short dialogue plays. Within it, an unseen voice speaks to Link, claiming to be a "fairy" which powers the boomerang. At closer inspection, the Gale Boomerang also has a diamond shape on its center:

100px-Gale_Boomerang.png

Which is eerily similar to what we know so far about the Skyward Sword in, well, Skyward Sword. It should be common knowledge now that said sword eventually becomes the Master Sword. And we all should be pretty familiar with the MS's design by now and know well enough that it too has a diamond shape on its hilt. Most pics across the net are too big to post here so, for confirmation, check out our Twilight Princess media guide (see the link above), and find a pic of the Master Sword.

This all got me thinking that, not only is the whole "girl empowers the sword" deal not so new, but about how much mileage Nintendo is going to get out of this concept. I think it is obvious at this point that they borrowed the idea from the Gale Boomerang in Twilight Princess, expanding on it, since the fairy who empowers the boomerang is never seen, spoken about, nor heard of anywhere else in the game. I think it is very possible that the Master Sword won't be the only weapon that we see a fairy-type figure empowering in this game. Or, I could be wrong. Perhaps Nintendo took the idea from TP and decided to simply expand on it since they really didn't with the boomerang from that game and thought it to be a decent enough idea to base an entire game's plot out of it.

I'd like to hear what other people make of this. Were you aware of this connection? Would you even consider this to be a true connection or not? Do you believe Nintendo got this idea from the Gale Boomerang in TP? Would you suggest that we will see more of this same idea played out in Skyward Sword? Post your thoughts..

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
That's a very good idea and speculation, MrMosley. I'd say that if that IS the case, and they got the idea from TP, then Nintendo once again isn't being very original. Think about TP and OoT. WAY too many references there.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
FAIRY OF WINDS
I am the Fairy of Winds who resides in this boomerang.
You have freed me from evil, and I now have my true power back.
Please... Take it with you, use it to aid your quest, and may both my power and
my blessing go with you.
If you focus power in your boomerang before releasing it, it will unleash the
power of wind, aiding you in unforeseen ways.
Wow, I had completely forgotten about that.

Given that Aonuma specifically refrained from calling the Skyward Sword's spirit a "female," and instead called her a "feminine figure,"* it's possible that they view her as a fairy just like the Fairy of Winds. If they give her a "Fairy of ____" name it will become much more evident that they are continuing that theme. And from what other similarities between these two games I've found so far, there's no doubt in my mind that they would do such a thing.

*"When that sword is actively guiding Link it actually transforms into a feminine figure. I wouldn't say that it's a female per se, but it's a feminine figure."

David

But you called me here...
Well, I never noticed that. That's very interesting. Hmm... That leads me to believe that there is a similarity between that fairy, and the spirit of the Skyward Sword. Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will also touch on the origins of the Gale Boomerang in Skyward Sword. It definitely possible that the Gale Boomerang will be in Skyward Sword. There are too many unknowns about the boomerang and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a real connection between the two items.

Woah! New Idea! What if we learn that in Skyward Sword (or some other "prequel" type game) that there was a whole set of items that were created that contain Fairies of certain elements. I mean, if there is that diamond on the Gale Boomerang and the Master Sword, what to stop us from thinking that there could possibly be more items that contain Fairies? There isn't currently enough evidence to back up this theory, but it is very possible. Hmmm... I'll have to think about it some more. *returns to thinking land*

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It isn't too far-fetched to say that they are recycling content from previous Zelda games. Why else make a prequel, or as I'd call it, an origin story? I'm guessing Nintendo is just trying to incorporate TP design into SS, as it had high appeal due to it's graphics alone, and reuse old text to explain new things. It's just a game developer's mindset, I suppose.

Djinn

and Tonic
Maybe this is not so much a rehashing of old ideas but just Nintendo's way of shifting the fairie's role in Hyrule. We know they are a magical race found in a lot of hidden areas, they occasionally heal Link. And sometimes they will help guide Link. There are a few great fairies, they have a queen, but other than that we know just about nothing. They are some type of being of power and that level of power varies.

Now many other games and books in the fantasy genre will go out of their wat to establish a set of rules for their specific magic system and how it works in that setting. A few will even have specific guidebooks that will cover this subject in detail. But what if Nintendo was doing the same slowly for the Zelda series with things like the Sheikah eye appearing on various magical items and now fairies empowering objects. So it could be possible that in Hyrule's setting magical items are often made by attaching a spirit of a certain element or type to an item. In the boomerang's case it is called a fairy, but in games like Phantom Hourglass the words are interchangeable.

The very concept of something else empowering an object in the Zelda universe is not a new one. The Master Sword in Wind Waker required sages praying for it to gain any power. Before it was mostly a normal sword. Ganondorf even said that it's edges were dull.
You cannot defeat me with a blade that does not sparkle with the power to repel evil! What you hold is useless. Go back to the world below, and tell that to the pathetic fools who made this blade! Its power is gone, and its edges are dull!" — Ganon
"O great hero, chosen by the Master Sword! My name is Laruto. I am a Zora sage. For an age, I offered my prayers here in the Earth Temple, praying that the power to repel evil would ever remain within the Master Sword. And yet... unfortunately, due to Ganondorf's evil designs, the Master Sword you hold has lost this power. After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away... but not for all time. He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade. In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find Another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance." — Laruto

In Four Swords Adventures the Four Sword appears to contain Force Fairies that revive Link occasionally until they run out. And the Compass of Light has been said to use the spirit's power. But it does not say if it just uses the power as an extension or actually holds a spirit.

The Demon Train comes from the Dark Realm. But even Cole didn't know its exact location at first. He had me build a compass using the spirits' power to find the Demon Train in the Dark Realm." — Byrne
Since the compass uses the power of the spirits, Cole and Malladus can't touch it. That's why it should still be where we left it." — Byrne

The Rod of Seasons was powered by the four season spirits, all of which resembled different colored fairies. And the inscription in the Pyramid in Four Swords Adventures mentions the evil spirit of the trident that Ganondorf stole.
We grant you power to ruin the world. The power of darkness. Evil spirit of magic trident. You are the King of Darkness.
16px-Quote2.png

The scales that allowed the Rito of WW to fly were from the Spirit of the Sky Valoo. And that power from the scales were extensions of Valoo's own power. To a lesser extent owning a Zora scale in OoT increased Link's swimming ability.
"What a graceful dive! Now, please take this! This is a "scale" of our kind. With this, you can dive much deeper under the water."
While in TP armor made from their scales gave Link the ability to breathe underwater.
"Garments made of Zora scales. They let you breathe and swim in water but are weak against fire and ice.

The Greater Fairies seem to have items of their own like the Silver Arrows, magic boomerang, and the Great Fairy Sword. We know they are magical but we do not know just what that magic is or how they work. It could be possible that they were made in the same way as the Gale boomerang. A fairy of some element is either created with or at the very least connected to by some magical means to empower the item. I am sure the more items we see the more understandable the concept would become. But in the series the idea that a magical weapon or item is empowered by a magical creature or spirit is definitely not a new one. It at least predates the creation of the Gale boomerang.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
You say that this would be the idea "girl empowers sword", but we do not know that the girl does this. She could just be an essence or spirit of the Skyward Sword, just thrown in there act as the hint system. Or perhaps her spirit is sealed in it and needs to be taken out. In any case, we are not told that the girl is the one transforming the Skyward Sword into the Master Sword.

The clip with the Wind Fairy from TP was pretty odd, they could have done as well without it. However, I do see the possibility of them reusing the concept of a fairy or spirit inside of an object - this time a more important item. So I think you could be right there.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
OK, sorry, but original or not the idea of having your sword actually be a living being is pretty sweet...especially when you combine it with the 1:1 motion controls that you are going to have...your sword becomes a mighty intimate thing. I think it's a great and inventive combo: your sword is alive and it moves with your very hand and arm in a life-like way...AMAZING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom