• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fable 4 discussion

We saw this game revival not at this past E3 but the one before that.

Not a lot is known about it yet, but it's not being made by Lionhead like the Fable games of years ago.

I remember those games fondly but also they were quite different from the RPGs that have come since

While series like The Legend of Zelda and Dragon Age and ones by Bethesda have evolved over the years, I wonder what Fable 4 will be and feel like in this modern setting.

Whenever a new studio is given a classic franchise and makes a game of it a lot of the times their interpretation of it or re-interpretation of it comes off as a pale imitation with either poor fan service or over fan service.

Franchises need to evolve while also retaining what is at the core that makes fans appreciate the series and come back for more.

I fear and feel like Fable 4 is set up to disappoint more than it satisfies fans of the older series at the end of the day.

And I don't know if they can pull in enough new fans with how odd and clunky and "Fable" (for lack of a better word) Fable is.

It won't have deep quests like The Witcher series, deep npc romance and such options like the Dragon Age series (it will still be mostly the silly charm of Fable I feel for better or worse), it won't feel like as rich an open world as something Bethesda would make with an rpg, and it won't play as smoothly and satisfyingly as Breath of the Wild because the originals never did.

All of this unless they totally overhaul the game systems and how they play. I am sure it will have a completely new engine being that it's gonna be made by the Forza people (unless they are being really cheap and are just going to reskin the engine from a game from more than a decade ago). Yet I think they must feel the pressure to keep things really close to how those old games played and felt.

I like the old Fable games (Fable 1 & 2 more so than 3) and am still looking forward to finding out more about it and eventually playing it but I would bet that it will ultimately feel like a hollow and "too late" sequel and won't re-ignite the franchise. It will probably be a one and done disappointing reboot and 10 years from now some other studio or the original creators will try to get back together to resurrect it once again.

Sometimes the magic is just gone if you wait too long for a sequel or reboot. Just look at recent films like Coming 2 America or Space Jam A New Legacy.

Will this be the fate of Fable or am I being too negative?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's really hard to say right now. They only showed a pre-rendered trailer and job listings related to the game have been shown, so I suspect we won't see a Fable 4 for at least two years.

Whether it will be notable? That's difficult to say. Fable is a series that I don't think has aged espedcially well in retrospect. Even the remaster of the first game feels clunky and primitive. Fable 2 and 3 improve a great deal on the gameplay and the visuals, but a lot of the humor is just... really bad, and the overall gameplay can feel condescending and like it was designed with a toddler in mind in terms of difficulty.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Fable 4 turns out to be, but I'm staying reserved until we have anything real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom