• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Eyeball Bosses

zeldafan123

Hero of the Lost Realm
So as everyone knows eyeball bosses have been used as the main kind of boss ever since the LoZ started, and in TP and every other game they did this and we've seen the scorpion in SS (probably another Gohma) its generally overused big time. so what i'm saying is in TP in the temple of time the had Armogohma eye on its back in the goron mines they had Fyrus, eye like crystal on its head, the lakebed temple Morpheel eyeball on its back, the forest temple Diababa eyeball in its mouth (WTF seriously) Gohma in the great deku tree the water temple Morpha eye in the water tentacle so basically when nintendo can't come up with an original boss weakness they just dig the hit it in the eye strategy out of the recycle bin and shove it in your face
well this was a fun rant. leave your comments and ill reply to them byebye:)

Djinn

and Tonic
The eyeball weakness is definitely not limited to Zelda alone, it is a common fantasy/scifi tradition to have a totally invulnerable monster that cannot be defeated due to it's monstrous strength and defenses. So the hero is required to take advantage of a handicap to add a little bit more challenge to the game and require to player to add a bit more strategy to their method of attack. If you could simply walk right up to the enemy and swing away like a madman then the game would be no different from a button mashing brawler. Although in recent years Ninteodo is moving a little too far in the opposite direction and requiring a special gimmick weapon or item to take advantage of a monster's weakness.

However when you think about it, it does take away from the magical mystique of the great and legendary sword of evil's bane forged by sages and powered by the gods for the defense of the kingdom from all magical abominations when the hero 8 out of 10 times can only use it to poke out a monster's eye. Something that could probably have been accomplished with a reasonably sharp pointy stick. Maybe Link is just sadistic that way, or Ganondorf thinks to himself "There is no way the legendary hero would actually poke it's eyes out! He has to be noble and heroic...."

Some sword fighting bosses should be added, along the lines of Ganondorf's final stage in TP, eyeballs are tradition but I hope they keep it to a minimum this time.

Goro-Link

I am all of me.
Eyeball weak points are overused because they are just easy to understand. Everyone just goes for the eyes in games like these. Its only natural. In Shooters, you aim for the head. In fantasy/RPGs you aim for the big yellow eye screaming "Stick a sword in me!"

But yes, the Idea of replacing these with some epic sword fights pleases me to no end.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think targetting on the weak spot is common in Zelda games and not only Zelda but other games as well.
Yes it would be fun to have more epic battles against enemies. I mean Z targetting on a spot is cool but after a while it would be nice to do something else. I would love to see more epic swordfights like you have to do with Ganon at the end of TP.

Ganondork

goo
I personally like the eyeball weakness, but it needs to have a certain thing to it that sets it apart from other boss fights with that weakness. Like the morpheel in TP, the water temple boss in OoT (whose name escapes me), and the 2nd maiden dungeon in ALttP (whose name also escapes me -.-) all required you to pull their eyes out and bash them, as opposed to just whacking it with your sword. Now that is overused. If you need a certain skill behind it, then it's enjoyable, if it's just a regular "hit it with your sword" kind of scheme, it's bland.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I made a thread about the scariest looking bosses / mid-bosses and Possessed Zelda would definitely go on the top if she had a hugde third eyeball in the center of her forehead. Putting that eyeball on some bosses is scary. I hate the eyeballl weakness (except on Morpheel) because I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to firing arrows quickly (with Morpheel you don't have to fire arrows.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom