• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Extremely Devious Puzzle Idea- Spoilers for Majora's Mask

MW7

HYPOTHETICAL AND NOT ACTUALLY IN THE GAME- possible due to game's unique mechanics

So I was playing the Stone Tower Temple yesterday when I came up with an idea for how the dungeon could have been made even more complex. This idea only "works" because of the unique circumstances of Majora's Mask and the Stone Tower Temple- Majora's Mask lets you reset the keys of dungeons by playing the song of time (essentially letting you replay the dungeon over and over) and the Stone Tower Temple neatly divides the dungeon in half upon collecting the dungeon item. The dungeon item would also allow you to bypass a locked door if you chose to replay the dungeon. This odd collection of attributes would have allowed the game designers to have removed a key from the flipped half of the dungeon while still allowing the player to finish the dungeon (even get the all stray fairies as well I'm pretty sure).

So imagine if you were playing Majora's Mask and you finish the first half of the Stone Tower Temple and collect the light arrow. You then proceed to flip the dungeon only to find that you are stuck and cannot proceed since there is a locked door and you've looked everywhere but cannot find a key. The solution- you have to play the song of time, re-enter the dungeon (unflipped), get a key (which would have already would have been used on your first pass through the dungeon but has reset due to the Song of Time), then exit the dungeon and flip it with the light arrow to proceed through the locked door that you were stuck at before.

So that was complex but then imagine getting all the stray fairies. I'm pretty sure it's possible in this scenario but it would require you to really know your way around the dungeon. You'd have to backtrack through the unflipped dungeon to collect fairies all while bypassing a locked door, really tough.

So what do you think? Is this insane and are you glad the designers of Majora's Mask didn't do something like this? If this had been in the game would you have figured it out? Do you have any crazy ideas for difficult puzzles?

i never would gave figured out something like that i find the idea no offense kinda stupid plus a key would go to a certian door only is probaly how it is set up but i see what your saying i thing it would be great to do that if they happen to make make a mm master quest then it would be a great idea to give people trouble

i never would gave figured out something like that i find the idea no offense kinda stupid plus a key would go to a certian door only is probaly how it is set up

There are so many things wrong with this sentence. For one, you say the idea is "kinda stupid" yet you present no reasons as to why. This bothers me. For two, under the description of the small keys it clearly states that it can open any locked door within the dungeon (besides the boss room door, of course).

Personally, I enjoy the creativity in this puzzle. One problem I have with it is that it is quite a difficult concept to wrap one's head around, therefore I would add a strategically placed Gossip Stone revealing a clue about it. Of course, you would need the Mask of Truth to retrieve the clue. Filthy.

MW7

Personally, I enjoy the creativity in this puzzle. One problem I have with it is that it is quite a difficult concept to wrap one's head around, therefore I would add a strategically placed Gossip Stone revealing a clue about it. Of course, you would need the Mask of Truth to retrieve the clue. Filthy.

Thank you, the idea was basically to be as challenging as possible within the limits of the game. If my dream comes true of a Majora's Mask Master Quest, I wish they would use me as a design consultant. I'd make it so hard people would break down and cry in the middle of dungeons. jk of course :)

Thank you, the idea was basically to be as challenging as possible within the limits of the game. If my dream comes true of a Majora's Mask Master Quest, I wish they would use me as a design consultant. I'd make it so hard people would break down and cry in the middle of dungeons. jk of course :)

Haha, well if they do, bring me!!!

H

Howl

You are quite devious, young sir or ma'am. I do thoroughly enjoy it, but only if there was some sort of indication to do so, eg. they gave you a hint or they had done things similar to that previously. Mmm-hmm... but its so evil its delicious...

M

MajorasWrath2.0

Cool idea in theory, but that completely takes out the Three-Day Challenge, and that's one of Majora's Mask's most appealing characteristics in my opinion.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You are a genius. How incredibly devious... I like it! I actually wish that were in the game. It would be very clever and tricky to figure out. I think I might've figured it out eventually, though. Getting stuck like that, I'd be bound to run out of time eventually and have to start over. If I kept at it, I might have been able to figure out what to do because I would've discovered that it's possible to bypass that one locked door with the Light Arrows. I wouldn't bother collecting all the stray fairies though; I never do that until after I beat the dungeon and start a new 3-Day Cycle. But if this devious puzzle of yours was in the actual game, that would be awesome. I love a good challenge, and adding that trick to the already tricky Stone Tower Temple wouldn't hurt; just the opposite, in fact. It would be fantastic!

MW7

You are a genius. How incredibly devious... I like it! I actually wish that were in the game. It would be very clever and tricky to figure out. I think I might've figured it out eventually, though. Getting stuck like that, I'd be bound to run out of time eventually and have to start over. If I kept at it, I might have been able to figure out what to do because I would've discovered that it's possible to bypass that one locked door with the Light Arrows. I wouldn't bother collecting all the stray fairies though; I never do that until after I beat the dungeon and start a new 3-Day Cycle. But if this devious puzzle of yours was in the actual game, that would be awesome. I love a good challenge, and adding that trick to the already tricky Stone Tower Temple wouldn't hurt; just the opposite, in fact. It would be fantastic!

Thank you very much. I'm not surprised my idea has gotten mixed reception, but I definitely love a good challenge as you do.

As someone earlier stated maybe something like this would be better suited to a kind of master quest. The reason is because in a master quest the designers don't have to balance guidance and difficulty as much and can make things as hard as they want. Although with how hard Majora's Mask was relative to some other games in the series, it practically was a master quest in of itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom