• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Exploring Phrases: Come to the Dark Side. We Have Cookies.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
We have all heard this phrase at least once in our lifetime. Possibly one of the biggest bribes to join the dark side. But the question is, what does it all mean? Why are cookies the chosen bribe? In this thread we will discuss what I think the phrase means, and then you all will have a turn to respond and say what you think it means. So without further delay, I will dive into this phrase.

To begin this, I believe it is necessary to first analyze the "light side". On this side we have our protagonists. Anakin Skywalker, Link, the Allied powers, Master Chief, etc. These are just examples of good characters. Some of them have taken the cookies the dark side has to offee and soke haven't. If we examine the light side of several universes, we get the same basic themes. Protection of citizens, seek justice, bring peace across the chosen universe. The light side is usually viewed as keepers of Law and order, protectors of the rights of people all over. If the dark side is up to something, then it is their job to stop it to protect those. Yet because they are seen keeping peace, there are limits(not in all cases) to what a protagonist can do. The protagonist of the light side are still expected to uphold the law. An excellent example, and one I will probably bring up often, is Anakin Skywalker. In the star wars universe, Jedi are generally seen as the peace keepers and law of the galaxy(with the exception of a point in the old republic era after the jedi civil war, where the common people hated jedi and made some extra credits by bringing to the Hutt crime lords for bounty money.) These peace keepers follow a very strict code however, one that not all are willing to follow. Jedi restrict their emotions in an attempt to keep from the temptations of the dark side. They can not marry or love, certain actions are not seen as lawful. Jedi are not to kill but take people as prisoners unless it is absolutely necessary. Part of the reason the people hated jedi after their civil war was due to them breaking their code. Citizens could not tell jedi from sith. Now jedi aren't the only group that restricts themselves to keep peace. The ministry of magic keeps a check on underage wizardry, where magic is used, and spells being used. Certain spells are deemed unforgivable, and a single use can land you in prison. The dark side generally does not follow this method of thinking. They believe the light side is weak for restricting themselves.

"There is no good or evil. Only Power. And those too weak to seek it."- Voldemort to Harry as they stand in front of the Mirror of erised.

The antagonist use this belief that restriction is weakness as a way to try and get others to join the cause. Only be freeing yourself from law can you obtain the power to complete your goal or destiny. But why can't you free yourself without crossing over to the dark side? Well some people are like that. They have studied and know how to use everything they possibly can that antagonists claim can only be learned by going to the dark side. Dumbledore is probably one of the greatest wizards in his fictional universe. He could use the powers Voldemort has, but doesn't. It's not that light side individuals can't learn the dark side's secrets, they choose not to use them. So what are these cookies?

"Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy"- Darth Vader to Luke Skywalker

I believe that "cookies" refer to the promises the antagonist makes to convince a hero to convert their faith. Emperor Palpatine tells Anakin that only through his teachings, someone who isn't a jedi, can he save his wife. Voldemort tries to convince Harry to join under the promise of bringing his parents back. Extreme dictators promise that the people will stay alive under them. These are the "cookies" for our heros. Cookies are sweet, tasty, something we want and love to have. Maybe you have been yelled at by a parent because you tried taking a cookie without asking. Or maybe you were bribed with a cookie once. Point is, "Cookies" are what the hero wants. The antagonist tries to manipulate the hero with a promise of giving them their individual cookie. Usually there is some heavy emotional attachment to what they are promised. The antagonist uses the hero's emotions against them, exploiting a weakness in some characters and occasionally successfully turning them. Once the hand is in the jar, the antagonist can move the cookie out of reach, keeping them around.

So the light side restricts themselves to uphold law and avoid temptation, the dark side promises power by avoiding what the light side has taught. The dark side tells you you'll gain what you want to gain. If you you join the dark side, you will get your cookie, tailored to your wants. Or at least, that's what they promise you. You may never get that cookie made for you. But this is what I think. What do you think the phrase could mean, and what phrase should I explore next?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I do like your gist of what cookies are - things the protagonists want - but I don't think it's limited to protagonists. It could be your everyday villager who, with time, evolves into a dark overlord or something. In general, I think the phrase come to the dark side, we have cookies simply means that there are some extra perks to any specific side...but of course there are the unseen, overpowerful cons to those perks. Just as you could get diabetes or some other harmful setback from a cookie, so too can you receive harm from joining a side. :)

I do like your gist of what cookies are - things the protagonists want - but I don't think it's limited to protagonists. It could be your everyday villager who, with time, evolves into a dark overlord or something. In general, I think the phrase come to the dark side, we have cookies simply means that there are some extra perks to any specific side...but of course there are the unseen, overpowerful cons to those perks. Just as you could get diabetes or some other harmful setback from a cookie, so too can you receive harm from joining a side. :)

"So, too, can you receive harm from joining a side."

This brings back my many twisted outlooks on life...

Mercy does not always strengthen us. Sometimes, it is what weakens us. In the wilderness, mercy is lethal if you try to go beyond your place.
There is no such thing as luck. Just coincidence. A man with incredible "luck" is just as likely to be hit by lightning as a man with the shoddiest luck in the world.
There is no good or bad. There is only perspective, and relativity. Hitler though he was doing the right thing.
Humans are weaker than anything else because we once had power. Now we have everything, and because of that, we are nothing. We are the inferior ones.
We broke our home and doomed everything on it to go down with us. The only ones on Earth who are really cruel are us.

I am so weird. Why is this relevant?

Because "Come to the dark side, we ahve cookies" began as just a funny catchphrase. Now people are dissecting it and finding unknown depth in it. That's what I do with everything in life. That is how my dark philosophies came to be.

THIS IS THE EMBODIMENT OF MY MIND.

That is all.

Nice evaluation of the phrase.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Once you have gone to the Dark Side to procure the cookie, you partake in the cookie.

Then you burp and have nothing.

You gave up all of your light side values for what? Empty hands in the end at the cost of your SOUL?

Cookies? No thanks. I need to restrict the amount of sugar in my diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom