• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Explaining The Arbiter's Ground

2006's The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess not only connected the then not yet revealed timeline in new and exciting ways but also opened up an entirely new realm of questions. One of the most mysterious areas in the entire game is the Arbiter's Grounds, the first dungeon Link travels to after obtaining the Master Sword in the Sacred Grove.

An arbiter is another word for a "judge". It would logically follow that the Arbiter's Grounds was a place for judgment during its better days. But what exactly occurred to turn it into the overrun mess it becomes when Link stumbles across it? In the cutscene following completion of the dungeon, the sages note that they have guarded the Mirror of Twilight since ancient times. This directly leads to the thought that perchance the sages used the area to execute those who tried to usurp the power of the mirror. Given his name, it's possible the "Death Sword" performed such functions.

This leads us to the boss or so to speak "Twili Guardian" of the dungeon: Stallord. What exactly is that creature? His title refers to him as the "Twilit Fossil". There were previous such occurrences of revivals of ancient demons throughout the franchise such as Volvagia from Ocarina of Time. In that case, however, it was clear that the boss was a dragon. It's a shame that Nintendo doesn't flesh out bosses like the aforementioned two as well as others including Bongo-Bongo. Great potential is lost. A thought that comes to mind is the possibly Ganondorf uses the magic granted him by the Triforce of Power to revive deceased creatures just as it grants him immortality through rebirth.

One of the other architectural designs in the dungeon that I find noteworthy is in the Chamber of the Mirror. Take a look:

zQOf

zR5O

Does anyone else see an intrinsic similarity between the monument in the Arbiter's Ground (top) and the Colossus in the central room of the Spirit Temple (bottom). It's possible then that this functioned as Ganondorf's lair through the centuries all along.

I find the topic of the Arbiter's Grounds from Twilight Princess to be a confusing one and therefore any input explaining the area is appreciated in advance. Once again, thank you.

Oooh good find with the statues, I keep my head out of Zelda theory, too much gets changed and retconned and explained half heartedly between games by literature, new games and their creators, though its still always fun. The Gerudo/desert locations throughout Zelda have always fascinated me because the inspirations from other cultures has always, to me, been quite strong in these locations. I can't offer any new advice on this theory but i dont see any flaws in it etc, it'd make sense in many ways and the Spirit temple had a mirror theme to it, it didn't surprise me that centuries later we'd find a very special mirror atop a similar location.

octorok74

TETTAC
I must say that your connection with the statues is awesome. I hadn't noticed the similarities until you put in the pictures and I saw them side by side. I have a feeling that your whole Ganondorf lair thing is a very good idea. It makes a lot of sense.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The similarities in the statues has been noted for almost as long as the game has been avaliable and one of the more prevelant theories is that the Arbiter's Grounds is or once was the Spirit Temple. There is evidence to suggest this is true. The statues of The Goddess of Sand for one and the presence of a fairly important mirror in both locations too. Although I have never looked at the maps in great detail to compare, others have and the Arbiter's Grounds is apparently in the same location as the Spirit Temple would have been.

Of course, there is also reason to doubt it. How did a Temple become a prison full of undead? If the Sages guarded the Mirror of Twilight since ancient times, wouldn't they have had some presence in the Spirit Temple? Why does the Arbiter's Grounds seem to have a mix of Hylian and Gerudo architecture?

It's possible the Arbiter's Grounds wasn't always the home of the Mirror of Twilight, I suppose, but that still leaves a great many questions.

Personally, I think that the Arbiter's Grounds has been mostly abandoned for a very long time. It's possible it was built by both the Hylians and the Gerudo, it's possible that it was a Gerudo structure that the Hylians converted to their needs after defeating Ganondorf, but either way, its original purpose has been lost after humans stopped living in the desert. A lot of Stalfos appear in there, as well as many during the first phase of the Stallord battle that are wearing armour (dubbed Staltroops). This could suggest it was used as some kind of military base or reinforce the idea of it as a prison.

It's interesting you should mention how Volvagia was a beast revived from death, as was Stallord. The music which plays during the second phase of the Stallord boss fight is a remixed version of the Volvagia boss music. Perhaps that is only there to create a thematic connection (especially since Stallord at that point spits fire at you) but perhaps it hints that Stallord was, in life, some form of dragon. Stallord is, of course, skeletal in design and Volvagia was the only boss in Ocarina of Time to burn away to his bones. We've seen another dragon that was in skeletal form in Skyward Sword so there may be something there.

As for the Death Sword, I just can't see it being used by the Sages for two reasons. Firstly, the Death Sword is inhabited by some kind of malevolent spirit that has been sealed within it and attacks anyone nearby as soon as it is released. Secondly, when we see the Sages attempt to execute Ganondorf, they use a sword they conjured on the spot.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This leads us to the boss or so to speak "Twili Guardian" of the dungeon: Stallord. What exactly is that creature? His title refers to him as the "Twilit Fossil". There were previous such occurrences of revivals of ancient demons throughout the franchise such as Volvagia from Ocarina of Time. In that case, however, it was clear that the boss was a dragon. It's a shame that Nintendo doesn't flesh out bosses like the aforementioned two as well as others including Bongo-Bongo. Great potential is lost. A thought that comes to mind is the possibly Ganondorf uses the magic granted him by the Triforce of Power to revive deceased creatures just as it grants him immortality through rebirth.

I absolutely agree with your saying that they should flesh out the bosses more. Bongo Bongo is indeed a prime example of a demon that could have been given a proper backstory. As for Stallord, you need to ask yourself, why would such a beast have been kept in Arbiters grounds, a prison? A dangerous beast like that would have been better off dead rather than kept locked up you get dragon slayers not imprisoners and how did anyone get it in. A possibility, which is just pure speculation but could make sense is that it could have actually been raised in arbiters grounds as a young...pup...hatchling? and fed off inmates. In Star wars Jabba the hut keeps a Rancor in a pit below his throne room to eat people he dislikes. In arbiters grounds, Stallord when it was alive, would have been used for the same purpose. Prisoners would have been thrown in with it and been eaten.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Nice spot. I forgot about that mirror in the Spirit Temple!
Hmm. All evidence points to you being right. There have been theories suggesting that Cave of Ordeals = Fairy Fountain, but that opens too many new cans of worms for this thread. However there are ruins nearby that could've been the spirit temple in the past and part of the building/it's archiecture was maybe adapted. Either way if you rotate the TP map, most of the locations fit with OoT give or take a few degrees. Also it's further south and generally more towards the left than OoT as there is nothing north of Hyrule Castle in that game's map. However, it places Gerudo Valley or what would've been the location of Gerudo Valley towards the Haunted Wasteland more. This is close enough to assume that Arbiters Grounds is north of that, which does point this being correct even more.

Anyway, is it canon that the gerudo got banished to the twilight after OoT? (I can't remember if it's canon or not). Because in that case it could be that this was where Ganondorf was sealed away.

Wow I haven't explained this well at all. Hopefully you get the gist :S

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I absolutely agree with your saying that they should flesh out the bosses more. Bongo Bongo is indeed a prime example of a demon that could have been given a proper backstory. As for Stallord, you need to ask yourself, why would such a beast have been kept in Arbiters grounds, a prison? A dangerous beast like that would have been better off dead rather than kept locked up you get dragon slayers not imprisoners and how did anyone get it in. A possibility, which is just pure speculation but could make sense is that it could have actually been raised in arbiters grounds as a young...pup...hatchling? and fed off inmates. In Star wars Jabba the hut keeps a Rancor in a pit below his throne room to eat people he dislikes. In arbiters grounds, Stallord when it was alive, would have been used for the same purpose. Prisoners would have been thrown in with it and been eaten.

Tad bit disturbing. Also, the game stated that the Mirror of Twilight was used to send convicts to the underworld (actually the Twilight). Besides, a few hundred years is a little bit short of a time to have something like that die and become a fossil, or even a sturdy skeleton...

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Tad bit disturbing. Also, the game stated that the Mirror of Twilight was used to send convicts to the underworld (actually the Twilight). Besides, a few hundred years is a little bit short of a time to have something like that die and become a fossil, or even a sturdy skeleton...

It's a game, we can have a skeleton in a couple of days, I think that for all the evidence Nintendo is giving us, a beast used to punish evildoers is the best explanation

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
Good find! I wouldn't see why these statues wouldn't be the same. Twilight Princess is next in the Split-Timeline. but they do take thousands of years after eachother. But they could have referbished and recreated. :)

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
This is like the faron woods/kokiri forest. Faron goes into hyrule field and so does kokiri and arbiters ground and spirit temple are both at the end of the gerudo desert, but in every game, there is always one thing that makes me confused. HOW DO THEY MOVE THE MASTER SWORD IF ONLY LINK CAN PULL IT OUT! WHY DO THEY DIG UP THE PEDESTAL AND MOVE IT! ARGHHHHHHHH!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
This is like the faron woods/kokiri forest. Faron goes into hyrule field and so does kokiri and arbiters ground and spirit temple are both at the end of the gerudo desert, but in every game, there is always one thing that makes me confused. HOW DO THEY MOVE THE MASTER SWORD IF ONLY LINK CAN PULL IT OUT! WHY DO THEY DIG UP THE PEDESTAL AND MOVE IT! ARGHHHHHHHH!

I wonder what would happen if someone aligned the maps on the location of the master sword then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom