• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread ExLight's Custom Role Mafia - ENDGAME [TOWN WINS]

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I'm not lynching Ex. There's no benefit of it that we know of. If it ends the game then that sucks because I really want to play this game.

Lynching the host should only be done when people are at a loss for what to do. I can remember two games I've played where we lynched the host. One was a bastard game where we actually had to lynch the host to win. The other was a bastard game where lynching the host led to the flavor to become ciphered, actions to fail, and weird bits of flavor. Those aren't bad outcomes, but they both happened later in the game because it shouldn't be a first resort thing.

Tbh, I could see Ex making it that if we lynch him then funnier becomes the new host or something like that.

Mint Elv

Fish!
Not necessarily. They confirmed their role. They just haven't said anything in the thread.

But I agree. Voting on Laur isn't useful.

Unvote: Laurentius
Vote: Mint
Why? I understand that I am in your scumreads, but what is your reasoning for it? What about the other three you scumread? Do you see all of us being of the same alignment? Why do you two read the people you town read?
I disagree with your read on Mint. I don't think their post was just meant to look townie. It actually looks very similar to posts I make at beginning of games. When I've missed a good bit and just go through and quote things that catch my attention. And sometimes depending on how much I missed, by the time I go to reply I don't remember why I quoted some things or I just remember the bare basics of why I quoted it.

Also I think you're trying to read into things too much in regards to the question to you. It's a valid question to ask if anyone ever answers anything other than town when you ask. Even if it's not for reading your alignment. It can be for curiosity or anything else. But Mint's response to your response didn't seem scummy at all to me. It is fair to say that based on their experience elsewhere there's not much to read into since it's texted based and you can't see physical reactions. Because in text Mafia people can take their time to respond. It doesn't catch them off guard, prompting an immediate response that can be telling based off of facial/body reactions. You may feel like you get something out of it but not everyone does.

I'm not going to read into your response as scummy, considering it aligns with last game and you were town then. It may just be a case of differing play styles.

Could you explain the Mint vote? I don't think you gave any thoughts on them?
This exactly. I’m at work most of the time so a lot of posts will be catch up and me just collecting them as I go along. If I can come one during work I do, but if I can’t then i have to play catch up.
If hammering Ex ends the game, we should just so it right away. We don't want that to happen on D5 or something.

I'd like to think any reasonably constructed game doesn't have mechanics that just completely screw over the players. I don't really know what to expect to happen if we hammer them, but like Ex deliberately included themselves in the game and so we kinda owe it to our host to explore what idea they came up with for when the host is killed.
If you want the game to end day one then why are you playing?

Others have talked about how lynching the host has never turned out good, yet you continue to ignore them. Why?

Essentially exactly what you're saying; they took a stance on DW, granted though it wasn't much of a stance. The rest of their responses looked more like content for content's sake, which is >rand!wolf IMO.

At first I thought you meant Mint gave a town read on DW and from reading their posts they didn't give a town read and only said they didn't see DW scummy meaning they disagreed. They asked alot of questions and I see that as nai.

[\QUOTE]
This is nowhere close to what I said. Please reread.
Others have talked about how lynching the host has never turned out good, yet you continue to ignore them. Why?
That isn't an accurate representation of any sort of thread consensus. One person mentioned a game where elimming the host caused a loss. One person said they think Ex might do that (I disagree, that is horrible game design and while I don't know Ex super well, I trust in their ability to design a fun game). One person literally said they saw a game where you HAD to elim the host to win (but another game where eliming the host caused minor negative side effects). Two other people are voting to elim the host with me, so suggesting that I am ignoring anyone here just because I want the host elimed is an extremely disingenuous reading of me.

Gun to head, what is your read on me?

----------
aside to the thread to explain why I think we should elim the host: My wincon is to help town, but above and beyond that, there is the level-0 wincon that we all have, which is to have fun playing a game with each other. I don't know about you all, but if I'm playing a game and the game developer put some mechanic into the game that could have interesting outcomes, I usually explore that mechanic in at least one playthrough because I have faith that any reasonable game developer only adds content that they believe make the game more fun somehow, so I am assuming Ex added this mechanic to somehow enhance our experience in the game, so I don't know why we wouldn't explore it. If the game does end in a huge loss, (I doubt it will) well that sucks, but again rather know than now rather than on D5. Otherwise, hammering the host will just cause some preplanned thing Ex has that again I can only speculate that was added to somehow enhance our experience.

If Hideo Kojima puts himself in a game, you don't skip the mission to go rescue Hideo Kojima. If the developers of Chrono Trigger put themselves in the game, you don't skip getting the super hard ending that you need to get to see them. If Ex puts themselves in the game as an elimmable character, you don't skip the chance to brutally murder Ex. This is gaming 101 folks.

Quote messed up, I fix!

That isn't an accurate representation of any sort of thread consensus. One person mentioned a game where elimming the host caused a loss. One person said they think Ex might do that (I disagree, that is horrible game design and while I don't know Ex super well, I trust in their ability to design a fun game). One person literally said they saw a game where you HAD to elim the host to win (but another game where eliming the host caused minor negative side effects). Two other people are voting to elim the host with me, so suggesting that I am ignoring anyone here just because I want the host elimed is an extremely disingenuous reading of me.

----------
aside to the thread to explain why I think we should elim the host: My wincon is to help town, but above and beyond that, there is the level-0 wincon that we all have, which is to have fun playing a game with each other. I don't know about you all, but if I'm playing a game and the game developer put some mechanic into the game that could have interesting outcomes, I usually explore that mechanic in at least one playthrough because I have faith that any reasonable game developer only adds content that they believe make the game more fun somehow, so I am assuming Ex added this mechanic to somehow enhance our experience in the game, so I don't know why we wouldn't explore it. If the game does end in a huge loss, (I doubt it will) well that sucks, but again rather know than now rather than on D5. Otherwise, hammering the host will just cause some preplanned thing Ex has that again I can only speculate that was added to somehow enhance our experience.

If Hideo Kojima puts himself in a game, you don't skip the mission to go rescue Hideo Kojima. If the developers of Chrono Trigger put themselves in the game, you don't skip getting the super hard ending that you need to get to see them. If Ex puts themselves in the game as an elimmable character, you don't skip the chance to brutally murder Ex. This is gaming 101 folks.

Mint Elv

Fish!
Misguided town. I honestly want to say mafia but I know that feelings is more of a natural reaction of having extremely differing opinions.
You believe it’s better to lynch Exlight d1 and end the game here and now instead of d5. I don’t see any good reason for that outside of feeling like the game is a chore and you just want it to end.
That isn't an accurate representation of any sort of thread consensus.
I never said the thread was saying that. I said several people have. Aka the bulbagarden members. And majority has been that lynching the host is negative all but one time.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Ex is originally from Bulba. Where the person who said that lynching the host has ended the game before is from. Bulba has a history of allowing the host to be lynched. So they know better what the typical results are. Bastard games have to be announced here, so the idea of lynching Ex to win the game is kind of out of the question. I would rather have consequences from lynching the host come later in the game after I've actually played it.

Also, lynching him isn't the only thing you can do to explore the mechanic. He's a player, use actions on him if you want to try and find out more.

I have caught up and don’t really know what to do :S. With just text to go by I find it hard to judge anyone, and there isn’t really much to do with no leads :/. No offense to anyone but the game is really boring rn and I forgot I was even playing lol ^^;; bUT I understand that it’s just the beginning and these kind of things are harder to build up with just text!!

If we lynch the host, doesn’t he die and the game doesn’t continue? Or… ExLight could give the job to the cohost instead xD

@DawningWinds I am new so I don’t really understand role powers all that much, but you said you start with more money than anyone else right? All roles have names, but I don’t think you’ve shared the name of yours for some reason? It would be helpful for me to understand it more, unless that’s a secret too for some reason - in which case I won’t judge :^)

I am new so I don’t really understand role powers all that much, but you said you start with more money than anyone else right? All roles have names, but I don’t think you’ve shared the name of yours for some reason? It would be helpful for me to understand it more, unless that’s a secret too for some reason - in which case I won’t judge :^)
No, I started with the same amount of money as everyone else, but have already gained more. Not a whole lot more (I think I'm at like a 1100 or so? I'd have to check.), but it's gonna go up every phase and there's nothing I can do about it because my role's compulsory and I can't drop it using the market because I can't buy from the market, meaning I can't agree to the bribery strategy.
I can claim my role name but if I did that it would take very little thought to figure out how my entire role works if I do so.

I don't think a mass loss is a necessarily the most probable thing; more of a worst case scenario, but I see it as much more likely there are negative consequences than positive

Its not an easily disproven lie though, and that's why you overestimate the risk in such a play. That assessment only applies if KoD continues to treat the situation as a matter of fact and pushes based solely off of his flavor investigation which then fails to produce the desired outcome. But as has been thoroughly discussed, that's not the only avenue KoD can take from here. And each other path creates less and less risk and more opportunity for a scum!KoD to take such an action. Further, KoD is not a play it safe player regardless of alignment. I don't see his action as alignment indicative here. More likely KoD has a lyncher type role and is looking for a specific role. His pm probably alludes to them knowing this so his comments early on are to Guage reactions so as to better direct his shot. I don't feel bad if this ruins his reactions because nothing says that this removal would be pro town.
Every cycle he fails to follow up on the promise of outing a scum after claiming to do so and giving a means to do so will bring his claim into more question; the eventuality is if he doesn't follow through within a couple of cycles people will accept that he lied, even if they don't necessarily decide that means that he's scum.

Misguided town. I honestly want to say mafia but I know that feelings is more of a natural reaction of having extremely differing opinions.
Your reading of my posts have been significantly less than generous. I expect that from tunnelled town, town that has a negative opinion of the person they're talking to, or scum.

You aren't tunnelled, and we don't know each other, so what am I to conclude from your treatment of me?
You believe it’s better to lynch Exlight d1 and end the game here and now instead of d5. I don’t see any good reason for that outside of feeling like the game is a chore and you just want it to end.
No, I don't expect the game to end when Ex is elim'd, but IF that is the case, I'd rather find out NOW rather than on D5. If Ex is the sort of host that would end the game in a loss if we elim them, then I don't want to play an Ex-hosted game because IMO that is very bad non-fun game design, so yeah in that case I'd want out ASAP.

I never said the thread was saying that. I said several people have. Aka the bulbagarden members. And majority has been that lynching the host is negative all but one time.

What majority? Again, only one person said that they played a game where elim'ing the host ended poorly. One other person just voiced that they didn't want to do it because they CoUlD see Ex ending the game. I don't know who is or who isn't from Bulbagarden, so I don't put any more or less stock on any one person's view here, and I stand by the fact that IF elim'ing Ex is going to end the game in catastrophe, I'd rather have that happen NOW rather than later.

Mint Elv

Fish!
You aren't tunnelled, and we don't know each other, so what am I to conclude from your treatment of me?

Whatever you want.
No, I don't expect the game to end when Ex is elim'd, but IF that is the case, I'd rather find out NOW rather than on D5. If Ex is the sort of host that would end the game in a loss if we elim them, then I don't want to play an Ex-hosted game because IMO that is very bad non-fun game design, so yeah in that case I'd want out ASAP.
Fair enough.
What majority? Again, only one person said that they played a game where elim'ing the host ended poorly. One other person just voiced that they didn't want to do it because they CoUlD see Ex ending the game. I don't know who is or who isn't from Bulbagarden, so I don't put any more or less stock on any one person's view here, and I stand by the fact that IF elim'ing Ex is going to end the game in catastrophe, I'd rather have that happen NOW rather than later.
I’m going to stop bothering with this back and forth. It’s just going to clog the thread unnecessarily. We’re not going to agree on this so there’s no point in continuing.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
Unvote

i'll take dawning wind's advice here. I also doubt ex would straight up end the game as a result of being lynched but if lynching the mod isn't like lynching a pinata then i don't see any reason to do it.

I have caught up and don’t really know what to do :S. With just text to go by I find it hard to judge anyone, and there isn’t really much to do with no leads :/. No offense to anyone but the game is really boring rn and I forgot I was even playing lol ^^;; bUT I understand that it’s just the beginning and these kind of things are harder to build up with just text!!

mood

i haven't been able to read anyone yet and i think mechanical discussion is usually NAI. We haven't had much else, but its not like i've done anything to break that status quo either so i can't really complain.

I guess anyone who would normally try to generate real discussion day 1 but hasn't is a decent scumlean

i think KoD might fit that bill?

Vote: KoD

The other was a bastard game where lynching the host led to the flavor to become ciphered, actions to fail, and weird bits of flavor.

I'm assuming this is referring to Hapi's game? As far as I know Hapi decided everything she was going to do on the fly after she was lynched. I'm pretty sure no actual abilities failed, although some seemed like they did because she ciphered role results as well and nobody caught the binary cipher until she was beating them over the head with it because everybody was just ignoring it. Having reviewed her original design file before the game started I can say definitively that she didn't have anything on paper for it prior to game start at least. So just saying players can try to do something if they want (which was in her OP as well) doesn't mean it's a designed aspect of the game.

@DW, I'm pretty sure there isn't a stated means to do so. As has been mentioned before roles were potentially randomly assigned alignments meaning flavor checks are NAI without evidence that they aren't. Realistic expectation of KoD delivering on his claim is almost zero. With no reasonable expectation of delivering on the promise KoD isn't risking much by not following through. Further he can still take a different approach and lower expectations of following through even more (like was mentioned with reaction testing) and never intend to follow through. I just don't see any reasonable reason to clear KoD based on hyped up risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom