• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Excellent analysis of Link's Awakening by Digital Foundry

This analysis is really good, a must watch for anyone interested in the game.
Note Well - this is better than any review out there as it tells us exactly what we want to know without any spin, bias or developer ass kissing.

Last edited:
I'm not one for noticing or even minding framerate issues but bloody hell this game has it really bad.

It feels like they made the game with the screen transitions from the original version and then took them out in post.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Yeah I have a very high tolerance for framerate issues but I agree with Spirit, it's Noticable with capital damn N at some places. Really pulls you out of the game :(

Quin

Disaster Master
If its anything like gamexplain, the biggest paid shills on youtube (which it looks like it in the title alone) then hard pass
They only way they could make this game look good was by bashing the original, which sure, the points were legit, but not even as close to be as bad as they made it sound, and they didn't even bring up the terrible points in the remake. why can't I use a D-pad to move in a 8 directional game jesus christ.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
If its anything like gamexplain, the biggest paid shills on youtube (which it looks like it in the title alone) then hard pass
They only way they could make this game look good was by bashing the original, which sure, the points were legit, but not even as close to be as bad as they made it sound, and they didn't even bring up the terrible points in the remake. why can't I use a D-pad to move in a 8 directional game jesus christ.
Digital Foundry is mostly fair. Most of their reviews are performance analyses anyways.

Digital Foundry mentioned the stuff in the video I linked like:
  • poor and uneven frame rates
  • Aggressive double v-sync
  • lack of d-pad support
  • Link having no smoothing animations (ie he snaps to each of the 8 directions, he does not smoothly transition between them)
  • the fact that this would have been better if it was not partially outsourced to Grezzo
The video mentions quite a few good points also.

Sure the video title does sound a little elitest, the video itself is quite the opposite. It's like their usual stuff. Zero spin and zero sucking up to developers (ie most videos) and delivers a preformance analysis of the game, the good and bad points. The game is pretty good technically, and worth getting, just not up to Nintendo's usual much better standards. That's how Digital Foundry feel also.

Digital Foundry actually praised the original and DX remake (mostly though as he did point out the limitations of the original games). They compared the Switch remake to the DX remake complete with side by side comparisons - Switch to GBC.

Digital Foundry videos are thankfully nothing like gameXplain videos. If they were, I'd not have shared the video here.

I agree with you 100% about the gameXplain video. I did watch it to compare and yeah it was as bad a video as you said it was. Best not to watch that video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom