• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Evil and Creepy = Cool?

So, these days out in the world, a lot of people (including me, actually) tend to find things (in fiction, mainly) that are evil or creepy to be very cool. Villains are often the most popular characters, as are creepy ones. In general, badguys are cool. And people seem to also like creepy things, like skulls, monsters, etc. And I feel this way myself, so I'm not pointing fingers or anything. :bleh:

Some people get freaked out by this, saying it's Satanism (well, at the extreme), weird and messed up, or at least evidence towards people degrading as a society.

I don't think that's quite fair though. For me, yeah, I love villains. But it's not like I condone behavior like theirs. I have strict moral principles. But I think villains can be appreciated... as villains. Not as good people. And I think certain traits they tend to share alone give them a more bad-*** air and certain appealing qualities (in fiction) that heroes just don't have.

As for creepy things, I dunno. I just find there's an aesthetic quality to them. Creepy, yeah, but still artful. Some things are just gross and cross the line for me, a good example being the beasties in Silent Hill, which in my opinion have little to zero aesthetic value and freak the hell out of me. :xd:

Point is, I think it's explainable, and fair. I don't think it implies immorality, being desensitized to evil and cruelty, or anything like that.

Now this isn't an MD thread. I don't want this to be a deep philosophical discussion. I just want your thoughts. Do you like these things like I do? What do you think of liking them? Etc.

If this gets too heavy, it might have to be moved to MD, but I didn't want it to so hopefully it won't. :)

S

Slambofett

I don't think evil or creepy has to do if something is cool or not. A lot of it just comes down to taste in the art and character design, I prefer things to not be too crazy and out there. Like with TP I thought things just got too weird and I really didn't prefer it. With Oot and MM things are pretty strait forward with the occasional weird thing, I happen to think the elements in those games are a lot cooler.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I think it's just one of those passing societal trends. Throughout history, different generations have found interest in different things, including things that don't make sense to us now. As to why we like evil or creepy stuff these days, maybe it's just a general effect of society evolving and the general historical trend of loosening moral constraints over time. People used to look down on evil, so now we're going through a kind of counter-culture and liking what the previous generations disapproved. This happens a lot in history (flappers and hippies come to mind immediately, but those were rather extreme counter-cultures). Whether this is the real reason so many people in our generation like creepy stuff, I don't know, but it seems like a reasonable explanation.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
It may be based on the fact that creepy things or scary things may give people a rush. Also the fact that abilities and attacks that villains use are considered cool. And as for the evilness. Who doesn't love the bad guys?

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I really like some villains and creepy stuff. The creepy stuff just gives me a rush (in fact, I used to like being scared as a little kid, or so my mom tells me) and I do like a few villains (Vaati and Team Rocket from Pokemon come to mind immediately). Although, I'm not really that extreme about it. It's like me and the Pikmin series: I enjoy it, but I don't go nuts over it.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Creepy and Being Evil is cool to me, but for others, it's a dark road.

People are usually good all day long, and they never get the chance to do something sinister. And that's when Cool and evil comes in. People tend to show their "Evil" side in many things, either in games, clothes, accessories and make-up. They think of it as more of a new light err...darkness.

Personally, I love the dark and creepy. Cause it's weird, it's a trend that few people I know tend to avoid(actually never go near at all), it's not stereotypical. I hate being stereotypical, I really do. Being the same cliche being that you see and do everyday gets tiresome and lacks luster to life. And that's when Dark and creepy came in, I loved it's essence, it's wholesome feeling, and it's a fresh start.

Plus, it always LOOKS cool to be menacing and be the boss of people. Heck maybe be a temporary bully, but I don't go that far. I stop when I know it's the point of nearly no return. And I suddenly remember a song...

This song is why I like the cool and the dark, it's smooth, it's direct to the point, it shows the true nature behind mankind's kindness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Yeah, I know what you're talking about, Axle. I too find certain villains really interesting and 'cool'.
I think its mainly due to the fact that they break the mold. They are evil when in today's society we are tough to be good and just (even though they are fictional, still applies). The most interesting villains are those, I find, with humble beginnings, who are/were human, but changed and were twisted through a sad or unfortunate event. Villains like those are the most interesting compared to evil aliens or ghosts or something...

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
A bunch of my friends are exactly like that. They love the dark/evil/mysterious aspects of things. Me? Not so much. Whenever I come across these types of people in books/video games, I quite often think, 'Why aren't they normal and leave things alone?'. While I do enjoy mysterious (and, okay, occasionally a dark element or two), but evil is not my thing. Nor is creepy. I'm more of a person that goes towards the sadly misunderstood/good/mysterious.

As for what brings people towards these dark elements in things, I don't think I'll ever know. Different tastes, obviously, but something about these things attracts them to it (and clearly repels others. :P)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Definitely. Some evil and creepy creatures can really be the coolest creatures you imagine even though you better not cross their road. In most movies or books the bad guys always get the most attention. Like in LOTR Sauron and especially the Witch-King (one of my biggest fav villains ever) or in Star wars Anakin Skywalker. Or what about the Joker? I think it is the way they are descriped or portrayed which make them so cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom