• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Everything You Need to Know About the 3DS

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -

Well, we know quite a bit about the new 3DS, so I thought I would post everything I know about it right here. If you know something that isn't listed here or want me to add a picture, let me know through a PM and I will update the thread.

What is the 3DS?...

This system is to be ¥25000 or roughly $300. (Don't worry, it's well worth it!) In Japan, it will release February 26th. March in North America and Europe. At launch, it will only come in black and blue colors.

This system is called the Nintendo 3DS for an obvious reason: It is 3D like 3D movies without the 3D glasses. On the right side of it there is a 3D depth slider which you can adjust the strength of the 3D with.

e3-2010-nintendo-3ds-3d-depth-slider.jpg

If you don't want it 3D, it doesn't have to be. Another new feature is the slide pad. This pad is above the control pad on the left side. It is used as an alternate way to control. (i.e., in the new StarFox 64 3D, you control the Arwing with the slide pad.)

New Features for the 3DS

Wii Attributes

The 3DS has a Home button.

nintendo-3ds-home-button.jpg

You can actually multitask while playing software by pressing the Home Button to use the 3DS Web Browser.

Also like the Wii, the 3DS has a Virtual Console service. This service allows you to buy games from the GameBoy and GameBoy Color (And possibly even the GameBoy Advance) for an amount of points- on the Wii, they are called Wii Points. You can buy these points with a credit card or at a local store. Two games have been confirmed for it; Link's Awakening DX and Super Mario Land. There is also one difference from the original versions- there is an option for 3D. This can be adjusted by using the 3D slider.

The Miis also make a comeback in the 3DS in the Mii Studio, but this time around the Miis are bent on world domination! The 3DS is jam-packed with features for your Miis. (Yes, they are still called Miis)

nintendo-3ds-miis.jpg

The Mii Studio will allow the player to create and share Miis with others. The 3DS's Miis have far more options to create your Miis.

3ds-mii-plaza.jpg

And take a gander at this sweet feature! You can take a picture of someone and it will automatically make a Mii out of it! (You can obviously edit it afterward) It is also confirmed that you can save Miis on an SD card. And with Street Pass, you can exchange your Miis. Sweet!

Street Pass

Nintendo says that when there are online free services to enhance the experience with their console, people still get turned off when they know they will have to complete one extra step for them to get connected. Mr. Iwata (Nintendo boss) says that one of the main aims for the 3DS is that people will be able to get connected without even having to do anything.

Solution? Street Pass. Nintendo is pushing for a new gaming concept they call “Carry Around, Affect Each Other and Something New Every Day”. Dragon Quest IX and Nintendogs had a similar function which became a sort of phenomenon. Street Pass allows your 3DS to communicate with other 3DS systems while in sleep mode. Your system can exchange data with another 3DS just by passing by.

nintendo-3ds-spot-pass-demo.jpg

Tag Mode is also making a return but is more limited than Street Pass. You must have certain software (i.e., Dragon Quest IX, Nintendogs, and other games) which utilizes the feature to use it. Players will know that you have exchanged data with another player on Street Pass by checking in the top-right hand corner and looking at an LED light. If it is lit up, you have exchanged data.

3ds-notification-led-300x225.jpg

You can check what kind of data was exchanged by looking at the Notification Applet.

nintendo-3ds-notification-applet1-300x225.jpg

Spot Pass is essentially the same as Street Pass, but you communicate with wifi hotspots and other 3DS systems. When a hotspot is found, the 3DS will download things like data, notifications, free software and more. Nintendo is busy working on ways to increase the amount of these hotspots. DS kiosks will be converted into full Nintendo Zone services which will enable both DS and 3DS users to utilize the Wi-Fi features.

3D Video

If you remember back to E3 2010, Nintendo said they were partnering up with several companies to distribute 3D video content on the 3DS. Nintendo is also talking with companies for trailers and maybe eve full 3D movies. That's all that is known at the moment.

nintendo-3ds-how-to-train-your-dragon-movie-3d.jpg

Activity Log

One other feature for the 3DS is the Activity Log. This log allows you to monitor how much you have been using your 3DS. (Oh, guilt!) It also monitors other things such as how many steps you've taken with your 3DS.

nintendo-3ds-activity-log.jpg

Augmented Reality

Augmented Reality games. How these work is you put look at a special card through the 3DS's camera lens to see some 3D effects and a minigame.
nintendo-3ds-augmented-reality-games.jpg

The 3DS concept video shows an example. You can view the video at the top of this page.

Technical Stuff

There is one camera inside and two cameras outside. Each camera is 0.3 megapixels. (640×480) The two outside cameras are used to take 3D pictures.

Size: 134x74x21mm
Weight: Weight – 230g
Upper Screen: 3.53 inches, 800×240
Lower Screen: 3.02 inches, 320×240 pixels
Wireless communication: 2.4GHz
It can exchange data with other 3DS units.
It has access to the internet and wifi like the Nintendo DSi.

The Games

Nintendo

• Animal Crossing
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Mario Kart
  • nintendogs + cats
  • Paper Mario
  • PilotWings Resort
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • Steel Diver
  • Ocarina of Time 3DS
Activision Publishing
  • DJ Hero 3D
AQ INTERACTIVE
  • cubic ninja
ATLUS
  • Etrian Odyssey
  • Shin Megami Tensei
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Capcom
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (name not final)
Electronic Arts
  • FIFA Soccer
  • Madden NFL
  • The Sims 3
Gameloft
  • Asphalt GT
Harmonix
  • Music Game
HUDSON SOFT
  • Bomberman franchise
  • DECA SPORTS franchise
  • KORORINPA franchise
KONAMI
  • Baseball franchise
  • Contra franchise
  • Frogger franchise
  • HIDEO KOJIMA'S METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D "The Naked Sample"
  • PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER franchise / WINNING ELEVEN franchise
LEVEL-5
  • Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (name not final)
Majesco Entertainment
  • BloodRayne: The Shroud
  • A Boy and His Blob
  • Face Racers: Photo Finish
  • Lion's Pride: Adventures on the Serengeti
  • Martha Stewart
  • WonderWorld Amusement Park
Marvelous Entertainment
  • BOKUJYOUMONOGATARI 3D (name not final)
NAMCO BANDAI Games
  • Dragon Ball franchise (name not final)
  • Gundam franchise (name not final)
  • PAC-MAN & GALAGA (name not final)
  • RIDGE RACER (name not final)
  • Super Robot franchise (name not final)
ROCKET
  • Crash-City GP
  • VS-robo
SEGA
  • Sonic (name not final)
  • Super Monkey Ball (name not final)
SQUARE ENIX
  • CODENAME: Chocobo Racing 3D
  • DRAGON QUEST franchise
  • FINAL FANTASY franchise
  • KINGDOM HEARTS franchise
Take-Two Interactive
  • Carnival Games franchise
TECMO KOEI GAMES
  • DEAD OR ALIVE 3D (name not final)
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS (name not final)
  • NINJA GAIDEN (name not final)
  • SAMURAI WARRIORS 3D (name not final)
TOMY
  • LOVELY LISA 3D
  • NARUTO SHIPPUDEN ACTION
THQ
  • de Blog 2
  • Kung Fu Panda Kaboom of Doom
  • Marvel Super Hero Squad Infinity Gauntlet
  • The Penguins of Madagascar
  • Puss N Boots
  • Saints Row: Drive-By
Ubisoft
  • Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy
  • Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike
  • Driver Renegade
  • Hollywood 61 (name not final)
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Warner Bros
  • Batman franchise
  • LEGO franchise

Sources: zeldadungeon.net, ign.com, 1up.com, destructoid.com, nintendo3dsinfo.com

Last edited:

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Wow man, thanks a lot! This gives a lot of info I wanted to know. But I have a question: is the 3D effect on both screens, or just one of them (if so, which one)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom