• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Everything I Know About Signature Design

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
I haven't the foggiest Idea about what compelled me to write this for five hours straight when I have homework. Anyways, this is up for refining and editing, so if there is anything that should added or moved, just tell me.

(This gets pretty lengthy, so I'm going to go a little Gamefaqs Ctrl/Cmd + F)
A1. Preface
B1. Inspiration
C1. Choosing a Program
D1. Resources
D2. Brushes
D3. C4Ds
D4. Fractals
D5. Textures
D6. Stocks and Renders
D7. Fonts
E1. Tutorials
F1. On Your Own
G1. Copy Style With Your Eyes.
H1. Composition
I1. Color Theory
J1. Perspective
K1. Other Tips

A1. Preface

When I was first on ZD, there were about four or five users who had signature galleries up and running. Their works inspired me so much that I had to download something so that would let me create art as beautiful as the ones I saw all over the forums. Photoshop, being the graphics design giant that is, was bank breaking, leading me to find the free - nearly as powerful – GIMP. And thus, my adventure into the art of signature banners began.

My first few signatures were bland, ordinary, and lack luster. There was poor compositional structure and many effects were misused and abused. To my young artistic eye, these flaws were invisible. After all, I managed to slap together several pictures and call it finished. People liked it, congratulated me, going as far as to say they admired my work. Of course, I fully accepted this praise. One should never deny the support of others, as this is the driving force of the artist.

Even with so many people saying I was great and constantly requesting signatures from me, I was hungry. My wish to improve had driven me into starvation. Tutorials from DeviantArt, YouTube, and the few scattered around here filled my browser's history. Some worked, some did not. That is how trial and error works. Bits and pieces of know-how filled my brain. The hours I had put in were starting to show. As the years went on, my abilities increased. GIMP was as good as any other image manipulator, each filter had a divine purpose, lying in wait for me to use. Productivity rates fluctuated, but that didn't matter. I got better, can still grow, and will continue to do so for my entire life.

Whether you, the reader, skims through or takes the time to analyze the words that from this text word for word is not my priority. By writing this, I hope to inspire the influx of young designers that have joined the world of signature banners. Also, for all the people who have matured, I hope you can take something from this lowly self-taught artist, incorporating it into your on pieces, or adding to the topics mentioned below. It would also be a great help to offer a portion of your own insight.

TWJU4od.png
B1. Inspiration

Inspiration is the first and most important step in your growth as a signature designer. Find someone or a group of people that motivate you. Keep up with them and study their works. Establish rivalries with them. Whether or not you actively voice them is up to you. I know I silently envied the artists here, craving approval from those levels above me. If possible, ask them for a critique every so often. Yes, some of it may sound harsh. Remember, the advice from those of greater ability is invaluable. Absorb what you can, experiment, and decide then on the validity of the critique.

Your favorite shows and movies may inspire you as well, along with a family, friends, and pets. Seeing your favorite character or special person in a signature that you made is a feeling that cannot be easily replicated. The vast majority of my banners were based off of video games.

C1. Choosing a Program

Now that your will to create is up, you need a program do it. There are numerous image editors – online and available for download - out there and it would be difficult to list them all. Due to this, I will list some below and offer my recommendations.

• Adobe Photoshop
  • The GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)
  • Paint.NET
  • Sumopaint
  • Pixlr
  • PicMonkey
  • Slashup
  • Fotor
  • Image Tricks

Of all these, I would have to direct you to Photoshop. It is by far the most powerful image editor out there. Adobe formed the basis for this genre of software with this one. Photoshop has all the effects, power, and community you will ever need. The only complaint that anyone can say about it is that it has very high pricing. However, there are several older versions available at a lower cost, with the sacrifice of a few features. Students and workers usually have free access to the program.

If you are anything like me, anything with a price tag is too expensive. In that case, GIMP is the next best program on the list. GIMP has a lifespan close to Photoshop's, along with many powerful features, plug-ins to help simulate Photoshop, and some exclusive effects. Best of all, it is completely free. GIMP is the program I use for all of my graphics, with few exceptions.

I have little to no experience with the rest, though I have heard promising things about Paint.NET. What is left is mostly inferior to what has already been mentioned by name. Pixlr is a popular online editor for free use. Others come in “free” and “pro” versions (Sumopaint). Mac exclusives can be used, like Image Tricks.

D1. Resources

Have a software that you can rely on through thick and thin? Good. Now you should get resources to really bring out your signatures. Resources are similar to DLCs for video games. While getting them is not a necessity, they add a bit more interest to the main part. Through online searches, hundreds of “packs”, or bundles of resources, can be procured. Resources come in various categories and subcategories, each having its own unique function. Over time, you will pick out your favorites and, for the most part, lean on those.

D2. Brushes

Brushes are both simple and complex. They apply color to you canvas as a primary function, but they come in infinite shapes and sizes, and can be further altered by a program's brush settings. The immense number of brushes that are out there allow them to be used for a multitude of purposes from lighting to backgrounds.

D3. C4Ds

Named after the program, Cinema4D, used to create them, C4Ds are usually abstract polygon models, though some are flat. They are mostly used as a basis for a background, establish depth and perspective, and light effects. If your style relies on C4Ds, a large folder on your computer composed of eclectic packs is a vital tool.

D4. Fractals

Mathematically, fractals are pattern that can seamlessly repeat for eternity. Thankfully, this is not a geometry lesson and that little detail is nothing more than trivia. For signature banner designers, we only need to know that fractals are, plainly put, pretty. They are 2D images that can offer some beautiful lighting effects. One moderately-sized pack can satisfy you for months.

D5. Textures

Textures are incredible resources that I rarely ever see used or mentions. Of all the resources I have experimented with, they are one of my favorites. Textures do exactly what you would think – they add texture to your design. They add a “sense of touch” to a signature that other resources my not. Packs may not be necessary, as a quick Google search provides wonderful results. Try to use unpredictable ones, like animal fur or skin for pleasing effects; stone and parchment are tamer, but are just as good.

D6. Stocks and Renders

Unless you are and abstract artist, renders and stocks will usually make up the focal point of your signatures. Renders involve a subject with a transparent background, whereas stocks have a solid background with the subject on it. For example, a stock for a ladybug might show it sitting on a branch surrounded by leaves. A rendered ladybug only has just that. The lonely insect will be surrounded by clear nothingness. It is a preference to which one you prefer. With stocks, one is stuck with the background they have, making the end result somewhat unpredictable. You are free to make your own background with a render, but be warned, you will have to make a decent chunk of them yourself. Pick a stock or render that is high quality. Stocks should be crisp images. Renders should not have a harsh white or black outline around them, which is very common. Unless you are confident that you can mask the original errors, I suggest you follow these guidelines.

D7. Fonts

Just like in Microsoft Word, fonts are the different typefaces that you, well, type. Thousands exist, but only a few are needed. Keep in mind that text has the ability to destroy a solid composition. It causes unneeded clutter. Either use it sparingly or do not use it at all.

E1. Tutorials

Your resources should be pretty solid. Now it's time to start applying them. Tutorials give step-by-step instructions (with pictures!) on how someone created a specific signature. Coming in video and image/text version, you can find many by searching “signature tutorials”.They force you to use resources and effects that are not in your inventory, and can help you from sticking to one style. Keep in mind that many tutorials are made for certain image editors, the majority being Photoshops. Do not let that discourage you. Even though it is in the title, most tutorials are not very “exclusive”.

F1. On your own

With enough tutorials, you should have a fair understanding of your program and resources. Make a signature banner from memory. This is great for seeing what kind of style you have developed. Things will get spontaneous and you might test many effects or just few. After it is finished, try to get a critique. Another's eyes may see something you don't, possibly even giving tips on how to fix or avoid said missteps in the future.

G1. Copy Style With Your Eyes

This is tricky. For this, find a signature banner that you very much admire. Think about the tools, resources, and effects utilized. Than copy it. Since this will be your own signature, use your own stocks or render, just use a similar one, IE if your reference has a game sprite, use one yourself. This is a good exercise to test your abilities, especially if you prefer a different software than the designer of your reference.

H1. Composition

Composition is one of the most personal parts of art, easy to learn, and hardest to master. Composition refers to the placement of element within the canvas. I would suggest to study it, as there is not too much to absorb. All you need to know can be gathered in a few days. The difficulty of composition is that it is individualistic, meaning you have to find it. After enough practice, it will come to you.

I1. Color Theory

Color theory describes how various colors react to one another. There is a really basic, artistic version and an in-depth, scientific one. As artists, we only need the simple choice, but feel free to delve deeper into the study. Color theory can be studied well enough in an hour or two and trust me, it will be time well spent. Once again, practice leads to mastery, so do not cease making signature banners.

J1. Perspective

Perspective states that objects close to us larger and sharper than things that are further away, except when objects are so close they appear blurry. Signatures have a foreground (closest), background (furthest), and a middleground (midway). The subject tends to be placed in the middleground, where it is crisp and distinguishable. How much depth there is in the composition depends on the distance of the three grounds. It sounds simple, yet oh so challenging.

K1. Other Tips
  • The information below is either optional or I cannot elaborate enough to explain their importance.
  • Study art history. Just because Van Gogh lacked a computer, does not mean he lacked the master's mark.
  • Try working traditionally. Pick up a pen, pencil, or brush to practice away from the screen.
  • Be satisfied, no more or less. Enough to improve and not give up.
  • Ask for someone you look up to to make their version of your signature. Seeing the approach of another, even if if makes the original look terrible, is quite rewarding.
  • Use weaker programs. Every now and then, try to make the most with the least.
  • Vary the size. Not all signatures need to be 400x150, when can go vertical, panoramic, or triangular.
  • Balance space. Do not let you background enlarge so that the the subject is tiny and vice versa.
  • Black and white have tones. Things can be too vivid or too dark.
  • Save types. Save as the default file and make a copy as a “.png”. Thank me later.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
From my experience, one of the most important things about a tag is the flow. If you stick an image onto a background and call it done, then your definition of flow must be pretty poor. Here are two good examples:

081386be1d43091f980ac6022f1d8622-d776ir5.png

http://stealthy4u.deviantart.com/art/Flying-Free-435324785

smusdge_by_creativegdam-d76pk9r.jpg

http://creativegdam.deviantart.com/art/Smusdge-434533599

Also, never be afraid to try a different style, or use a c4d or a fractal in a way you haven't used before. I cannot tell you how much it bothers me seeing people who only do smudge tags. They're not bad, but they lack diversity.

When it comes to graphics it's vital to get out of your comfort zone. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom