• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

EVERYBODY GIVE A WOOP-WOOP FOR THIS GAMES ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
WOOP WOOP! Happy anniversary, Skyward Sword! :party:

I think it's appropriate for us to give a few words in good taste of this game! I myself have this to say: even if I hate its guts, SS is still a successful Zelda game as far as sales go. With 3.42 million sales[sup]1[/sup] after just one month, SS is the fastest selling Zelda to date! Great job, Ninty! :yes:

[sup]1[/sup] As per this source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120127e.pdf#page=7

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Skyward Sword is not only the most successful/greatest Zelda game, it's the best video game of all time. FACT.

Happy Anniversary, SS! :party:

Last edited:

ThrawnTheater

Hylian Grand Admiral
Happy anniversary!

I wish I could play SS today, but unfortunately I loaned mine to a friend, who is only at the Lanayru Mining Facility after at least a month... Grumble, grumble.

Instead, I believe I will begin my third minimalist run of LttP.

Hmm. Don't know what to add here other than a half-hearted "yay!"

My thoughts regarding the game have altered since release and a comparison of my perception is included below.

The game shown at E3 2010 appeared bare bones and disappointing. After viewing the trailer opening alluding to all past 3D console Zelda installments, I was definitely underwhelmed when Link first took the stage in his manly skirt. Perhaps it was the lack of clamor as Twilight Princess had received six years earlier at E3 or the technical problems which plagued Miyamoto's showcasing of the new title, however, it felt weak from the start. While I am glad Moldarach made the final cut (albeit in a completely different locale-the Lanyru Mining Facility), no other footage was particularly impressive. No sign of Fi whom many then alluded to then as the mysterious fairy lady. Other titles from Nintendo's own press conference took the spotlight the least of which were Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns. That's discounting all the other studios and products shown like Halo: Reach, Gears of War III, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and more.

Things went into a hyper pitch of hype starting with the GDC 11 trailer and reached fever pitch as the release of the game approached. A first sight of Ghirahim, Fi confirmed as the spirit of the Master Sword, Loftwings shown, the Imprisoned on footage, a showcase of Link's new arsenal. In retrospect, however, it was the majestic Ballad of the Goddess playing during trailers that made me uber excited, even towards some lackluster scenes. The anticipation I was feeling would hit me hard as the game finally released; the final package was hardly what I was anticipating to say the least.

My opinion definitely changed for the worse but in none too major a way. The overworld kept golden to Nintendo's promise of an overworld with dungeon like elements, with more enemies and puzzles swarming around every corner. Character development was on display at its best with Groose and Ghirahim leading the charge. Due to losing a personal friend the story was more emotionally charged. Or at least it seemed to be initially. Things went downhill from there as most races appeared oblivious of the fate awaiting them. The harp was also a very defunct instrument. That said while progression was naturally more linear from Point A to Point B there were still many hidden treasures to be found the least of which were Gratitude Crystals, Goddess Cubes, and Pieces of Heart. The stamina and shield meters as well as upgrade system were welcome additions to the fray. I was expecting a 10/10 from Skyward Sword but instead I received a 9. A 9/10, however, is still acceptable and SS stands as one of the brighter spots of this generation from any company.

But my inconsistent notion are revealed in a previous OP of mine titled "Skyward Sword refined Zelda":

A Link In Time said:
While Skyward Sword is often lauded for advancing motion controls on the grandest scale of any game on the market since the dawn of the Wii in 2006 and redefining the franchise's gameplay through the upgrade system, shield meter, stamina gauge, and adventure pouch, it's the minor refinements to the formula which made the experience truly worthwhile. As the popular saying goes, "It's the little things which matter the most".

In tandem with Spirit's recent thread concerning Silent Realms, the areas were a natural progression of the stealth mechanics permeating TP and the DS games. The Goddess Trials in these areas were a welcome challenge rather than a chore as in SS's console predecessor and the DS games, namely its central dungeons.

Another interesting throwback appeared in the form of dowsing. Similarly to the Lens of Truth from Ocarina of Time and TP's wolf senses, dowsing allowed Link to detect objects and auras invisible to his naked eye. The mechanic flowed better than ever before since the sole requisite for activating the feature was pulling out Link's sword.

Bomb rolling was the change fans always desires to reach lower grounded dilapidated crevices. Rather than undergoing the cumbersome process of positioning Link far enough from a certain base so that a bomb reached the area at the bottom of its trajectory or moving up close and putting down a bomb, rolling the item allowed for impediments to be removed without slowing Link down in his path of travel.

Speaking of decelerating the green protagonist, the new item selection screen contributed to SS's well jointed progression, never halting the action in the middle of an intense fray, lending an air of realism.

While certainly a new and brilliant idea in execution, the Timeshift Stones were in concept an evolution of the time travel mechanic first popularized by Ocarina of Time. In the spirit of fluidity, however, SS incorporated this new element strategically, altering areas to their past semblances in mere seconds. This time change is certainly appreciated in light of the tedious seven year travel required to complete OoT's Spirit Temple.

Woop^2! In honor of its anniversary, I'm going to go hXc on the game and see how quickly I can beat it again!

P.S. If you need me,
I'll be watching cutscenes for the next 2 hours. :xd:

Last edited:

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
Ha! So thrilled to see I wasn't the only one celebrating SS's one year. I am finally playing hero mode! This game is amazing- my favorite game ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom