• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ever missed your stop on public transport?

Public transport can be horrible. It can also be scary if youre using it in a place youve never been before.

Ive missed my stop on a bus and train a few tines for different reasons. The worst time was because i fell asleep after a night shift and massively overshot my stop.

Have you ever missed your stop on public transport?

How bad was it and what caused it?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh yes several times. It only caused some frustration because I had to wait longer before I finally got home or to some other place I had to go. Most of the times when I was early for the bus I walked a couple of miles to another busstation. So glad I got my car! No more annoying busses!

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
One of my biggest fears when commuting was that I would fall asleep on the train end up in a different place and then the train company wouldn't let me take another train home so I had to call a family member to drive a 2 hour trip by car (including traffic) to come get me. This made me so paranoid I always kept close attention to where I was.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Not to my memory. I use the train twice a day on two days a week and I hate public transport. You get all sorts of people using them, worst of all are people who are loud or people who smell.

I have never missed my stop because I dont read a book or play games or do anything that would engross me enough to make me miss my stop.

The only incident I can remember which is not quite the answer to what your question asks but kind of to do with the topic. That is not getting off at a stop close to my home due to my belief the bus would take me even closer. It didn't. After that stop it did not stop at any others for another 40 minutes, this led to hours being lost from my day as it went to somewhere far from where I needed to go and I had to wait ages for another bus to come and take me home when I got there. Fortunately I didn't have to be anywhere that day but still. Glad I don't use busses anymore.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
A few times. I have to ride a majority of the loop to get to my place, so I tend to get distracted. Thankfully, since I'm like the only one who ever uses my stop, some of the drivers have gotten to know me, so like a week ago one of the bus drivers stopped for me while I was distracted

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
By memory I've done it twice.

The first time I was so focused on messaging someone on my phone that I missed my train stop and therefore had to take an extra two trains home instead of one since the stop I missed was where I was supposed to change trains.

The second time it was early in the morning/late at night (maybe about 1am) after a long night out in the city. I was fairly intoxicated and ended up at the end of the line, having to call my parents to come get me. Not a good moment...

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
Yeah, especially at the bus stop at the last place I lived. There were always so many people constantly getting off there, that it was so easy to rely on someone else to pull the cord that makes the bus stop. I'd miss the stop on those rare times I was the only one getting off there, and once when there were 3 other people who did the same thing! We got to know each other pretty well on the walk back, though :)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I fell asleep on my bus back in the winter time. Ended up completely overshooting it and actually ended up at the mall that acts as the main bus transfer. I then spent 45 minutes walking home at around midnight while it was snowing and it was -25ºC outside because I didn't have money for a taxi, and all I was wearing was a Tshirt and jeans with a hoodie. It was absolutely horrific, and I don't wish that kind of dreadful experience on anybody.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Yes, but only on the bus. The reason is because sometimes I didn't see the bus stop sign in time to press the stop request ribbon. But I usually get out at the next stop and walk back to it in that case.

I've never had it happen on the train because the train stops at every stop, so I know exactly when I'm at a point where I can get off.

I think what helps is that I'm not the kind of person that can relax in public well enough to even look at my smartphone for more than 20 seconds, let alone fall asleep. I'm too anxious with all these other people around and the fact that I'm inside something that's moving to do anything other than stare out the window and glance around observing everyone nervously. Also, I'm trying to act like I have good social skills... so that means I don't want to be focused on a device that will make me irritable if I get distracted. I don't like the way I tend to either snap at people or act incredibly dazed/confused if they distract me while I'm on the computer or something, and it would be humiliating to have that happen in public.

I mean, seriously, one time someone tried to ask me a question while I was focused on a device, and I looked up, and said something so incoherent they thought I was on drugs. I think they asked me what classes I was taking, and I responded like this...

"Oh, I'm taking the classes that are listed on that thing."

"On what thing?"

"That thin, white thing... you know, like the stuff you print documents on?"

"Paper? But don't you know where they are?"

"Yeah. They're in the hall in one of those buildings."

"What are they like?"

"There's the hard one with all the numbers, there's the one where I'm on the computer, and there's the one where I read and do quizzes a lot."

"Who are your teachers?"

"An old guy, an Asian guy, and an old lady."

"Wow... umm, good luck, dude."

So this is why you're unlikely to see me focusing too hard on something like a smartphone or a laptop in public. Because if someone tries to talk to me while I'm in that focused state, they'll get answers like these at best. Some part of my brain views these answers as basically equivalent to the correct answers to the point that I don't realize that there's anything wrong with what I'm saying until someone points it out, and then I can get really irritable and defensive about it once I "come to."

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ok so i have a stupid story
during 11th grade i had to take the bus to school,so i was at the bus stop and this old dude starts talking to me,i was feeling a bit anxious and just wanted to leave asap so i basically boarded the next bus that showed up,not realizing it was the wrong bus that would go the exact opposite direction of where school was
now the dumb thing was i had told him what number bus i was getting on,so im sure he realized the bus i was getting on wasn't it,but when i realized i was on the wrong bus,i got off at the next stop....which was still visible from the stop he was at,and then i had to walk my ass to school still in his line of sight

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom