• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Eurovision Song Contest

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
So, who else follow this every year? What are some of your more memorable entries? Which entries do you think stand a chance this year? Any favorites?

First semi-finals have aired and only two entries caught my attention. Denmark because it was a song to my taste, and Ireland because of the tattooed eye candy drummers (singer? what singer?). I haven't watched all the other entries yet, but the brief runthrough of the finalists made me think Germany's entry this year was a bit too much like Sweden's winning song last year...

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I always watch Eurovision but I only actually watch the finals. I don't really pay much attention to anything beforehand except what date it will be happening on. About four years ago a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go to see a movie in the evening and I told him I couldn't because I would be watching Eurovision. He called me a "homo" and I asked if he had ever actually watched it before. he said no and I told him that we'd make a night of it. And so he, somewhat reluctantly, came to my house and we ordered some pizza and watched Eurovision. Since then, that friend and I have watched it every year and will be doing so again in a few days time.

Eurovision is just something unique to me. It is definately a highlight of the year and there is always something memorable or exciting happening on it. The first time I ever saw it was 1994, the year of the famous Riverdance. I think seeing that is what first gave me an interest in Eurovision. It certainly helped that my father's side of the family is Irish and so there was a cultural link. Some other stand-out moments for me would be the likes of Spain having to go on again in 2010 due to a 'stage invasion', Romania's entry for that same year (which was the entry I hoped would win) and having Graham Norton take over the BBC's commetary after Sir Terry Wogan decided not to return.

I generally look forward to seeing Moldova's performance because they've had some pretty fun entries these past few years. Other than that all I can say is that I hope Bonnie Tyler does well (although I'm not expecting anything special since Eurovision hates the UK :P) and my friend will be rooting for Germany because he likes Cascada.

Also, I'm from the same city that produced Jemini, the infamous "nul points" scoring act of 2003 :facepalm:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I grew up watching it. One of my first Eurovision memories was Celine Dion winning for Switzerland in 88' (I remember calling her the "crying lady" because she cried during her winning performance). I'm very non-patriotic when picking my favorites, because I think most of the time Norway just send crap entries, but every now and then we strike gold. One of my best Eurovision memories was when Alexander Rybak won and broke the record in most number of points . It was the only time I wasn't watching it at home, but rather at the local gay bar. The atmosphere was insane and whenever we were given 8, 10 or 12 points everyone in the place started cheering, dancing and singing the song.

Oh, if you wanna talk about "nul points", Norway actually holds the record there as well, the most time an entry's received absolutely no points at all, lol

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
As a kid I used to watch it all the time but the last 10 years or maybe longer I don't even bother. I should support my country Holland but the singer Anouk is very famous over here and has a very nasty attitude. So I kinda hoped she wouldn't make it through the semi-finals but unfortunately she did. She will not win anyway and that's what matters to me :P

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
As a kid I used to watch it all the time but the last 10 years or maybe longer I don't even bother. I should support my country Holland but the singer Anouk is very famous over here and has a very nasty attitude. So I kinda hoped she wouldn't make it through the semi-finals but unfortunately she did. She will not win anyway and that's what matters to me :P

I don't get people feeling pressured to cheer for their own country, the way I see it, it's a music/stage show contest, not "which country is better than the others" contest. I tend to dislike most of the entries Norway ship off, so I very rarely cheer for my own country in general. Only if I actually love the entry, which has only happened a handful of times. Last year my favorite was Iceland, but in other years I've had favorites like Slovakia, Estonia, Belgium, Turkey... you name it, really, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom