• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Essential Elements Of A Zelda Game

The purpose of this thread is to hear from the forum what members believe the core concepts of a Zelda game are. In other words, without which parts of would Zelda stop being Zelda?

The following are what I deem to be the defining characteristics of a Zelda game:

Dungeons

Sure many videogames feature dungeons but The Legend of Zelda series handles this aspect in a unique and intriguing fashion. Most dungeons possess one or several elemental themes, a dungeon item, and a boss battle at the end. But that's a rather bland way of putting it. The dungeons in Zelda are filled with multiple branching pathways, are characterized by a vibrant aesthetic element, and often have puzzles which deceive the mind.

Musical Instruments

Another aspect which obviously sets the Zelda franchise away from the pack is its heavy emphasis on musical instruments whether it be an ocarina, conductor's baton, spirit flute, or harp. Nintendo so masterfully intertwines these items into the fabric of a Zelda game. An exceptional soundtrack has always characterized the franchise, however, these instruments added an extra layer of immersion by allowing the player to create beautiful tunes. Also, in most games instruments were useful for quick transportation by allowing Link to teleport and helped to progress the main story.

Indigenous Races

There have been so many races throughout the Zelda series that it's impossible to truly count. Kokiri, Goron, Zora, Deku, Korok, Mogma, Ancient Robot, Kikwi, and so much more! The interesting thing about the Zelda series in regards to new races is that Nintendo always finds a way to successfully incorporate them as a story element while also 1uping previous designs from one game to the next.

The Triforce

This is unarguably the one main symbol of the franchise uniting the essences of courage, power, and wisdom into one. It has been featured in every main Zelda game in some way, shape, or form. The most recent installment of the franchise-Skyward Sword-told the intriguing story of how the Triforce came to be. Link ultimately obtains the complete Triforce at the end of A Link to the Past.

Revolution

Something The Legend of Zelda franchise never fails to achieve is turn the videogame industry completely upside down. And that's certainly not a bad thing. The NES original was one of the first videogames with a save feature and was longer than most during its day. Ocarina of Time established the precedent for all future 3D games and invented the all important lock-on feature with its Z-targeting mechanism. And just last year Skyward Sword truly validated the use of motion control by masterfully building on the mere prototypes that were Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2.

What are your thoughts on my list of what defines a Zelda game-its essential elements? What key mechanics do you believe reside at the heart of the franchise? I thank any input into this thread in advance.

Last edited:
1. Link can't talk. I really think that link not talking makes you feel more like him. If he ever did I think it would be wierd
2. The Tri-force
3. Good story that doesn't stray from the timeline
4. Miyamoto has to make it!

Night Owl

~Momentai
While I agree with your list, I have something I feel should've been on there.
Here is what I deem necessary that isn't on the list:

Exploration: The very first Zelda had it's roots in the thrill of discovery. From the First Sword to the final dungeon, You were on a quest to uncover the secrets of the land and rescue Zelda. Every Zelda since has had world filled with secrets waiting to be uncovered, Whether it be chests that are hidden in plain sight to a stache of rupees stashed in an optional aclove, or anything in between. It is sometimes encouraged by giving new tools to access new areas, sometimes it's the curiosity of seeing if you can do certain feats. The freedom to explore and test your abilities are one of the things at the heart of Zelda.

Well, obviously the central characters are essential. I also agree that dungeons are a must. I would also say that interesting items and the way they are used in relation to the environment is an inseparable element in the Zelda series. Beyond that, I don't really care.

if zelda needs to meet those criteria of having central characters, then majora's mask isn't really a zelda game. :P
there's no zelda or ganon or triforce or anything.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
Here is what I think is essential for a great Zelda game.

Story: the story has to be fresh, interesting, and be able to keep you in the edge of your seat to make you want to turn on the Nintendo once again.

A Goal: Why play a pointless game? There has to be a goal. Saving your sister, Saving the Princess, Saving the world. If the game doesn't have this then why play it?

Challenge and Gameplay: There is no point in playing a game that holds your hand throughout the experience and points you to your direction, making you find certain things in a Dora the Explorer style. Skyward Sword, I'm looking at you mofo, your revolutionary 1:1 controller doesn't deceive me.

Style: It's all about style, you always gotta have your distinctive style to set you appart.

Night Owl said:
Exploration: The very first Zelda had it's roots in the thrill of discovery. From the First Sword to the final dungeon, You were on a quest to uncover the secrets of the land and rescue Zelda. Every Zelda since has had world filled with secrets waiting to be uncovered, Whether it be chests that are hidden in plain sight to a stache of rupees stashed in an optional aclove, or anything in between. It is sometimes encouraged by giving new tools to access new areas, sometimes it's the curiosity of seeing if you can do certain feats. The freedom to explore and test your abilities are one of the things at the heart of Zelda.

We already discussed this via visitor message but I'll repost my thoughts here. The problem with some recent installments, however, is that the exploration aspect has been largely lost due to an overly linear overworld. The sea in Phantom Hourglass paled in comparison to the island filled and enemy ridden one of Wind Waker, the train in Spirit Tracks allowed for even less mobility, and although Nintendo largely fulfilled its ambition of having an overwordl structured more like a dungeon with Skyward Sword, the sky was once again wasted potential with little to accomplish on each island.

winterbytumblr said:
Link cannot have a voice

Why not? Nintendo already successfully implemented voice acting in such franchises as Metroid. Personally, there should be three options: voice acting on, voice acting in Hylian with subtitles, no voice acting for fans to choose the option they prefer.

Honestly the architecture. It is a whole new world we have been to many times. If it wasn't a different Hyrule layout if would just get old.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dungeons, a decent Overworld, Sidequests, NPCs, a good Final Boss...good enemies in general.

Without dungeons, and here I mean GOOD dungeons, things just don't feel Zelda-like.

Overworld...well, I want to like what I travel through. Even if it's just for the scenery.

For sidequests, a Zelda game needs to be fun. They need to have a variety of things. If you're gonna have a majority of fetch quests, don't make them span the game world and even the real life Earth (staring at recent Zeldas here).

Oh, there definitely needs to be NPCs. I hate the recent "Zelda" games where there is a bare minimum of NPCs. Don't trade quantity for quality, as both can work in tandem with each other very well. This is proven by Majora's Mask.

Final Bosses and ENEMIES. When I beat a game, I want to beat a Zelda, I want to beat it knowing I accomplished a great task, not that I roflstomped a wimp. When I fight the field enemies, I want a good time. They don't have to be crazy hard, they don't have to be much of a challenge, but again they can't be wimps.

That's what I can say off the top of my head.

I think the dungeons are really important. They have to be fun, full and long.
There should be a good sense of adventure and exploration in the game in general.
The Tri-Force of course is what holds the Zelda series together, this is what you have to protect other than Zelda.
Link not talking is something small but what everyone is so used to that it has to stay that way for the sake of fans.

Night Owl

~Momentai
We already discussed this via visitor message but I'll repost my thoughts here. The problem with some recent installments, however, is that the exploration aspect has been largely lost due to an overly linear overworld. The sea in Phantom Hourglass paled in comparison to the island filled and enemy ridden one of Wind Waker, the train in Spirit Tracks allowed for even less mobility, and although Nintendo largely fulfilled its ambition of having an overworld structured more like a dungeon with Skyward Sword, the sky was once again wasted potential with little to accomplish on each island.
I will admit that it no longer seems to take as large a role in games. I still feel it is an important aspect of the games.

I feel that they are trying to go for a guided route through the game so you don't get lost, while trying to encourage players to stray from the beaten path.

In Skyward Sword, while the sky seemed like wasted potential; Goddess Cubes, Gratitude Crystals, Crafting, Various secrets in skyloft-(e.g. Gaepora bathing, tingle doll,etc.)- were attempts for encouraging people to stray from the beaten path and explore and enjoy the world.

Spirit Tracks, While limited in mobility, tried to encourage players to leave the beaten path by; Bunny hunting, Side quests to open up more sections of track, Multiple optional stations, and Minigames.

Phantom Hourglass, While not as expansive as Wind Waker, had ways to divert you from the main quest; such as: An uncharted Island, treasure charts, optional islands, Hidden acloves and a few chests that seem out of reach, shortcuts through the main temple, and minigames.

Exploration isn't always about quests being nonlinear; The other side things, that every game has, also encourage you to step away from the main quest and try to figure out everything the world has to offer. Zelda becomes a more immersive experience because you aren't totally limited to the main quest and have freedom to enjoy its wonderful and awe-inspiring world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom